No interviews yet....anyone in the same boat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glad to hear that you are striving to persevere. :thumbup:

As you indicated, def retake that mcat -- kick its ass and grab that trophy score of 30+.

I would skip the masters, find a PI that publishes OFTEN in a subject that you enjoy, work for them with the goal of getting the following: a kickass gap-year LOR, a publication (if not accepted by next app cycle, at least "in review"), and a poster presentation... Sounds like a lot, but it really is doable if you find the right PI that will give you enough autonomy to work some projects.

The latter two accomplishments will not only help you with your med school app, but will come back to pay dividends on your residency app.

If you have to do the research for free, do it for free. Find a job doing something else to pay the bills if needed (like you said, prob bonus points if it is medically related). My research experience was all volunteer and it paid handsomely (albeit in non-monetary units).

Frazier, thank you so much. :love:

I really like your gap year suggestion because I enjoy research. I'm currently doing my honors thesis with a super awesome PI and it will be complete when I graduate in May... maybe I can stick around after graduation or find someone w/ similar research interests. If I take a gap year, I'm going to make it productive!

My advice would be to move that MCAT earlier so you can apply on day 1. LATE APPLICATIONS ARE DOOM. Oh, hindsight. Such a bitter pill to swallow.

There's a slim hope I'll get in this cycle, but I'm also signed up for my 3rd MCAT. We should be trice study buddies. :beat:

Hey there trice study buddy!!
:highfive:
3rd time is a charm!
I think the earliest I'll move my mcat up is June... I don't want to do it before or during the month of May because I know it will be a very crazy/busy time for me. BEST OF LUCK I hope you surprise yourself and get in this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the non-interview boat (0 invites out of 3 MDs) and I was wondering if guys could give me some advice on my gap year if I need to reapply this summer. I haven't completely lost hope or anything like that - but I'm the kind of person that needs to have a plan or I'll just go crazy :)

I'm currently sitting on a fairly balanced 27 and a 3.5gpa/3.4sgpa and will be graduating this semester with a biology bs. I have solid ECs in research/volunteering/shadowing.

I've been debating whether or not I should do a 1-year masters in anatomy next year. I'm currently in the process of getting my application through, I just don't know if this is a "waste of money" or if pursuing a masters will help my application for next year. I don't think my gpa is terrible, but its not great either - which is why I'm wondering if a smp makes sense for me.

Would it be better to get a medically relevant job instead? I want to work as a scribe (maybe I could do this and my masters simultaneously???) but I don't know where to start. My local hospitals don't have openings online, but is there a better way to get scribe work?

Also, I am definitely re-taking the MCAT (for the third, painful time) which I plan to take in July.

Aaaand... if I reapply this summer I'm definitely (1) applying to more than 3 schools and (2) getting my secondaries in much much much earlier than november!

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best of luck to everyone :)

why not an SMP with high linkage? Do well and you won't have to take off more then 1 year : )

Well, wracked up some rejections recently. 3 in the past week, making 4 total. 1 Interview (that went really well imo, although I know that may not have much bearing), and 15 silences at this point. At least I'm hearing something. I think sending update letters about two weeks ago caused them to "make a move" on my file. If I can get at least one more II, I'd be happy. Two would be gravy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, wracked up some rejections recently. 3 in the past week, making 4 total. 1 Interview (that went really well imo, although I know that may not have much bearing), and 15 silences at this point. At least I'm hearing something. I think sending update letters about two weeks ago caused them to "make a move" on my file. If I can get at least one more II, I'd be happy. Two would be gravy.

One MORE II?

*sobs in corner*

This whole process is just absurd. I know a lot of people who have gotten into medical schools who are not that qualified.

These remarkable findings might give you the publication necessary to get in.

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

This whole process is just absurd. I know a lot of people who have gotten into medical schools who are not that qualified.

Awww dear Watson, lest we not forget that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", for it is grounded in human nature that "what is one man's trash is another man's treasure". A noble man once quoted that "four score and seven years ago our father's brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal". However, as equality increases, so does mankind's struggle for predominance. But, fear not, before the eyes of God we are all equal, in some regards equally wise and in others equally foolish. We see not what others see, but with what perception we have become grounded in. Must we not "judge a book by its cover" but indulge in its contents, for there is much more to a life than meets the eye. Amidst the chaos and the confusion there resides order, an order so just and proficient, no mere mortal may ever hope to surmise its proclamation. "Life is like Vegas, sometimes you are up, sometimes you are down," the true winners find out how to cheat the system and win all the time. What type of player are you?

I just got my first II yesterday by status update from Drexel... after being on hold for months!! If anyone is wondering, there are still loads of openings in March and April. I sent an update letter about a week and a half ago and even though Drexel didn't acknowledge receiving it, I'd like to think it made a difference.

Someone canceled their interview for Thursday so I leave for Philly TOMORROW!!

Members don't see this ad :)
...is it bad that the first thing I did after reading this was to check my status at Drexel? Still on hold...this waiting is seriously making me crazy...

hahaha. me too! still on hold... was hoping for good news after being rejected by Hofstra this morning.

I just got my first II yesterday by status update from Drexel... after being on hold for months!! If anyone is wondering, there are still loads of openings in March and April. I sent an update letter about a week and a half ago and even though Drexel didn't acknowledge receiving it, I'd like to think it made a difference.

Someone canceled their interview for Thursday so I leave for Philly TOMORROW!!

Wow, congrats!! Rock it :)

Got my rejection from the school that interviewed me last cycle. Unfortunate. Come to think of it, it's been exactly a year since that interview! Cool!

But still sad.

...is it bad that the first thing I did after reading this was to check my status at Drexel? Still on hold...this waiting is seriously making me crazy...

Congrats spike55 and GL! I totally did the same thing after seeing that post.

Got my rejection from the school that interviewed me last cycle. Unfortunate. Come to think of it, it's been exactly a year since that interview! Cool!

But still sad.

You seem to be in all the school-specific threads that I follow and I'm just gonna be flat out honest and say that you need to learn to quit whining and learn from others around you who I think are giving great advice about ideas that I think will get you to a better place in the long run. If you were rolling with multiple interviews and acceptances, then you can have your own way but you're staring at another failed cycle. Sorry but you're not going to get sympathy for the constant "I'm so sad I'm not getting an interview." I just hope you hear out the good advice that I think you are getting. Sorry for the harshness but that's the reality.

You seem to be in all the school-specific threads that I follow and I'm just gonna be flat out honest and say that you need to learn to quit whining and learn from others around you who I think are giving great advice about ideas that I think will get you to a better place in the long run. If you were rolling with multiple interviews and acceptances, then you can have your own way but you're staring at another failed cycle. Sorry but you're not going to get sympathy for the constant "I'm so sad I'm not getting an interview." I just hope you hear out the good advice that I think you are getting. Sorry for the harshness but that's the reality.

I'm torn between saying "what the hell, seriously" and "are you effing kidding me". You may take your pick. Good advice is only good advice if it's followable. Nevertheless, I've thanked everybody for their input and regularly make jokes about my situation. How you interpret either of those as constant "I'm so sad I'm not getting an interview." is unknown to me.

Good advice is only good advice if it's followable.

Wrong thread for this, but I'm lazy. My guess is that your GPA and mediocre MCAT (32 is the new 30) are holding you back from the schools you're probably applying to. Is it insanely impressive that you're 16? Yes. When dealing with 10k apps will a school notice your date of birth before seeing your GPA and MCAT? Very doubtful. Retake the MCAT, and bust your ass to get the score a person who graduates university at 15 should get. You said you've worked at a doctors office; see the doctor(s) knows anyone who is doing clinical research (which gets published far faster than bench so you can get some pubs) and if you can sign on to help as a volunteer. Seriously though, that MCAT is probably the biggest issue, take care of it so they don't toss out your app without seeing that you got a decent MCAT score at your age. If you can do that, I imagine you won't have to vent on here about rejection after rejection.

Wrong thread for this, but I'm lazy. My guess is that your GPA and mediocre MCAT (32 is the new 30) are holding you back from the schools you're probably applying to. Is it insanely impressive that you're 16? Yes. When dealing with 10k apps will a school notice your date of birth before seeing your GPA and MCAT? Very doubtful. Retake the MCAT, and bust your ass to get the score a person who graduates university at 15 should get. You said you've worked at a doctors office; see the doctor(s) knows anyone who is doing clinical research (which gets published far faster than bench so you can get some pubs) and if you can sign on to help as a volunteer. Seriously though, that MCAT is probably the biggest issue, take care of it so they don't toss out your app without seeing that you got a decent MCAT score at your age. If you can do that, I imagine you won't have to vent on here about rejection after rejection.

If they read my personal statement, they know how old I am. I made it as easy as possible! :laugh: I didn't know that clinical research gets published faster (I'd actually have figured the opposite), thanks! I won't be reapplying for a while, but I'll definitely see what I can do from the clinical side of research.

If they read my personal statement, they know how old I am. I made it as easy as possible! :laugh: I didn't know that clinical research gets published faster (I'd actually have figured the opposite), thanks! I won't be reapplying for a while, but I'll definitely see what I can do from the clinical side of research.

I hope things work out. I don't know what kind of hamster experiment your parents were trying to run with you, but you're going to regret missing out on the "real college experience". However, your first acceptance will be that much sweeter.

I hope things work out. I don't know what kind of hamster experiment your parents were trying to run with you, but you're going to regret missing out on the "real college experience". However, your first acceptance will be that much sweeter.

:thumbup:

Hamster? Psh- I'm a capybara all the way.

Of course I do regret that. I also regret never being able to go to prom. I'll deal and make the best of it. Besides, partying has never been my thing. All I care about is getting to that acceptance... even though it's going to take a very long time. ;_;

Honestly, I personally think age is working against you. There's a reason why non-trads are favored over traditional students at many schools. It's because of life experience and maturity. Med schools like to see that students have taken the time to explore other interests and have created a well-rounded application to support their interest in medicine. The fact that you're 16 and mentioned it in your personal statement probably doesn't help.

Just my .02

Honestly, I personally think age is working against you. There's a reason why non-trads are favored over traditional students at many schools. It's because of life experience and maturity. Med schools like to see that students have taken the time to explore other interests and have created a well-rounded application to support their interest in medicine. The fact that you're 16 and mentioned it in your personal statement probably doesn't help.

Just my .02

I do have the ECs to match my application, but I understand that reasoning. AGEISTS!

I'll get there eventually. I'll just be the same age as everybody else. :thumbdown:

Also: 700th post! Woot!

I do have the ECs to match my application, but I understand that reasoning. AGEISTS!

I'll get there eventually. I'll just be the same age as everybody else. :thumbdown:

Also: 700th post! Woot!

It's the way the game works unfortunately :(. I hope the best for you though. It's great to see you're still dedicated and are fighting for this :).

Good luck! :luck:

It's the way the game works unfortunately :(. I hope the best for you though. It's great to see you're still dedicated and are fighting for this :).

Good luck! :luck:

Thankya. I'm quite pleased with my plan, actually. :love:

And/or trying to convince myself that my rejections aren't REALLY that bad.

I'm going to feign the former. :laugh:

Feigntastic attitude.

I've never had to scroll sideways to reach the reply button before. Thanks, though? If you're anything like your namesake, pray for my acceptance to grad school. That's the lynchpin in my genius plan. I want to one-up Perrotfish by getting my MD *and* PhD in horribleness.

I've never had to scroll sideways to reach the reply button before. Thanks, though? If you're anything like your namesake, pray for my acceptance to grad school. That's the lynchpin in my genius plan. I want to one-up Perrotfish by getting my MD *and* PhD in horribleness.

I'm twice as sexy, half as miraculous. Tebow and I do have the same number of interviews tho.

You are a 16 year old reapplicant :eek:

Did you have a childhood? Doogie, is it really you?

doogie_howser_md-show.jpg

Do interviews really get sent out in feb and on? Or is this just a myth that we tell each other to soften the blow that the application cycle may be over?

Do interviews really get sent out in feb and on? Or is this just a myth that we tell each other to soften the blow?

That's what they say. I think after Valentine's Day it's a safe bet the season's over.

I never knew Brandnewday was so young.

Impressive.

Cool Fact #214: On her match day, Brandnewday still was not old enough to legally drink. :p

(sry)

*SOB* SHUT UP.

I couldn't even drive myself to my college graduation. :(

lol this is funny because at first I thought you meant that you just didn't own your own car.

...then I realized that you prob weren't old enough to even have a training permit yet. :D

I had my permit. Barely.

I still can't even get into an R-rated movie.

If they read my personal statement, they know how old I am. I made it as easy as possible! :laugh:

I'm going to blame having an exam today and over studying physio afterwards for missing that... Yeah....

Still, I don't know what schools (top 10s and number ***** schools) you applied to, but they may have a score cut off where they don't look at you PS even 'shrugs.' Am I mistaken in thinking you applied the cycle before this one? Did you ask what the issue was then? If not, in either regard, did you contact any of the schools that rejected you this time around for an explanation as to why you were rejected, and/or what you could do to strengthen your app next time around?

I'm going to blame having an exam today and over studying physio afterwards for missing that... Yeah....

Still, I don't know what schools (top 10s and number ***** schools) you applied to, but they may have a score cut off where they don't look at you PS even 'shrugs.' Am I mistaken in thinking you applied the cycle before this one? Did you ask what the issue was then? If not, in either regard, did you contact any of the schools that rejected you this time around for an explanation as to why you were rejected, and/or what you could do to strengthen your app next time around?

Ohgodno. I only applied to one number ***** school in two cycles (and they kept me around for a long time, surprisingly). It was pretty obvious why they didn't want me last cycle, as I applied late with a poor GPA and legitimately crappy MCAT. I improved what I could (MCAT, research, shadowing), but it clearly wasn't enough. Taking more classes was, unfortunately, not an option.

Realistically, the schools could say two things: you're too young or your stats are too low. If I'm too young, then a PhD is a great option, allowing me to continue to learn and mature while exploring an alternate career path. If it's the stats, there's not too much I can do. My GPA has too many hours to change it much. My MCAT is going to be nearly impossible to raise significantly, as I'm years out from my prereqs and can't take a Kaplan class. It sucks, but a PhD seems like a good option for my current situation. Besides, I'd rather discover NOW that I have some unbridled passion for research, instead of after I get into med school. I'm pretty excited for grad school. I'll draw the line at calling it fun, but I think it'll be good for me.

i feel like i'm going to get hit by a train with 20+ rejections soon....

i feel like i'm going to get hit by a train with 20+ rejections soon....

I see your avatar and it makes sad that we won't get to see him play next sunday :(:(.

Nearly a week and I still can't get over the loss.

I see your avatar and it makes sad that we won't get to see him play next sunday :(:(.

I was for awhile, but you know, losing the NFC Championship game, after going 6-10 last season

1687126-i_ain_t_even_mad_super.jpg

judging from your sig though, shouldn't matter

ps, nice avatar

Yeah but there are some schools I am still interested in.

Willis is a beast.

Yeah man, I double wammied myself, 2 fav teams that didn't make it.
Shoulda knocked on wood.

I got hit with three this week :(

:(

I was for awhile, but you know, losing the NFC Championship game, after going 6-10 last season

1687126-i_ain_t_even_mad_super.jpg

Proud of the 49ers too. Smith is finally a decent QB. (Should have picked up Aaron Rogers over Smith for that draft year....)

Ohgodno. I only applied to one number ***** school in two cycles (and they kept me around for a long time, surprisingly). It was pretty obvious why they didn't want me last cycle, as I applied late with a poor GPA and legitimately crappy MCAT. I improved what I could (MCAT, research, shadowing), but it clearly wasn't enough. Taking more classes was, unfortunately, not an option.

Realistically, the schools could say two things: you're too young or your stats are too low. If I'm too young, then a PhD is a great option, allowing me to continue to learn and mature while exploring an alternate career path. If it's the stats, there's not too much I can do. My GPA has too many hours to change it much. My MCAT is going to be nearly impossible to raise significantly, as I'm years out from my prereqs and can't take a Kaplan class. It sucks, but a PhD seems like a good option for my current situation. Besides, I'd rather discover NOW that I have some unbridled passion for research, instead of after I get into med school. I'm pretty excited for grad school. I'll draw the line at calling it fun, but I think it'll be good for me.

Since you have decided to do a PhD and then go for an MD, I recommend that you read both these threads (if you haven't already).

PhDs-to-MDs and MSes-to-MDs

Becoming a Physician Scientist: PhD-to-MD Student Experiences