No interviews yet....anyone in the same boat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the advice! I've been working full time for the past year. I probably should have mentioned that. I'm thinking my numbers are the weakest area maybe. I did take some med school classes this past year though.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice! I've been working full time for the past year. I probably should have mentioned that. I'm thinking my numbers are the weakest area maybe. I did take some med school classes this past year though.

Without knowing what your numbers are, I'm thinking your weakest area may be the fact that you weren't complete until November/December. Unless you are a really stellar applicant (3.9+, 40+, and spent two years in Africa doing palliative care for AIDS victims, for example), you need to submit early (i.e., June, early July at the latest) to have a decent shot. If you're not complete by September, you're already late in the game. Apps received in November/December aren't going to get looked at until it's time to send out the end-of-season rejection emails. CIP, an acquaintance who was complete at most schools late September, early October first time around and got zero interviews - applied June 1st second time around, complete by end of July/early August at all schools and got a bunch of first-day invites. Most people seriously underestimate the importance of having their app in the first batch.

Both emails and snail mails for me. And I totally agree: Silent rejections are indeed the worst.
A silent rejection is like shunning a proposer for life. Unfortunately some people think it's polite.

Members don't see this ad :)
A silent rejection is like shunning a proposer for life. Unfortunately some people think it's polite.
Emily Post is probably spinning in her grave. I think the silent rejection is a bit par for the course in this day of "Facebook friend limbo" (when your friend request just went unacknowledged.)

I do, however, think you are right. We eventually have a right to know where we stand. We made applications to medical school, after all.

How are you guys getting rejected? Status updates? Emails? what? I'm in the dark for most schools i've applied to. 4 MD interviews, no acceptances yet.

I got my first status page rejection today. =(

I got my first status page rejection today. =(

Sorry to hear that, if you don't mind, what school was it? I'm sure if I applied there I probably got some silent notice for that :laugh:.

By the way, waiting for interview invites is seriously like crack; you get that invite and feel this huge high knowing you're going to get to fly to a new city and visit an amazing program and you end up wanting another one just as badly. The huge high then comes when all the schools are evaluating you about a couple months after you submitted secondaries, and you get a rush of invites, and then all of sudden it's crickets and you feel bummed out big time (especially at those schools you feel like you're the perfect mission fit for and your stats are a match yet you get left out in the cold). I've gone on a 2 month drought now and I'm suffering from major withdrawal symptoms; my last scheduled interview is this weekend so it's really going to hit me then.

Sad news...where from? I got rejection 10 today by email :(

UMich. No great surprise, but it's another school that doesn't want me. The school that interviewed me last year is done sending invites by friday, so that's another imminent rejection.

By the way, waiting for interview invites is seriously like crack; you get that invite and feel this huge high knowing you're going to get to fly to a new city and visit an amazing program and you end up wanting another one just as badly. The huge high then comes when all the schools are evaluating you about a couple months after you submitted secondaries, and you get a rush of invites, and then all of sudden it's crickets and you feel bummed out big time (especially at those schools you feel like you're the perfect mission fit for and your stats are a match yet you get left out in the cold). I've gone on a 2 month drought now and I'm suffering from major withdrawal symptoms; my last scheduled interview is this weekend so it's really going to hit me then.

Ahem. *You* have had interviews. You are automatically the enemy (or is that just me?). :smuggrin:

Ahem. *You* have had interviews. You are automatically the enemy (or is that just me?). :smuggrin:

With this logic, everyone is the enemy because we are all competing for the same goal.

Let's stay supportive!

With this logic, everyone is the enemy because we are all competing for the same goal.

Let's stay supportive!

BUT IT'S HARD! *sob*

Once this cycle is over (and until I reapply), I will be super supportive. When I do reapply, you're all dead to me.

BUT IT'S HARD! *sob*

Once this cycle is over (and until I reapply), I will be super supportive. When I do reapply, you're all dead to me.

I'm a reapplicant so it's not like I don't know what the pain is like; I was in your shoes one year ago but didn't go out telling my fellow applicants they are my enemy.

I'm a reapplicant so it's not like I don't know what the pain is like; I was in your shoes one year ago but didn't go out telling my fellow applicants they are my enemy.

I'm sure he's joking. Whether it's med school or real-life females, no one likes rejection.

Last edited:

Seriously? If I hated everybody, I'd be giving bad advice to those also waiting for interviews at my schools. Since I've yet to sabotage anybody, you should be reasonably confident that both of my statements are sarcastic.

I'm sure he's joking. Whether it's med school or real-life females, no one likes rejection.

SHE'S joking! Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh. Stupid Internet- everybody thinks I'm a guy. (my avatar, of course, has nothing to do with it.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not gonna lie... until just now I thought you were a guy too. Sorry.

+1

It kind of reminds me of that classic riddle, "A father and his son were in a car accident. The father died. The son was taken to the hospital. The doctor came in and said: I can't do surgery on him, because he's my son. Who was the doctor?"

+1

It kind of reminds me of that classic riddle, "A father and his son were in a car accident. The father died. The son was taken to the hospital. The doctor came in and said: I can't do surgery on him, because he's my son. Who was the doctor?"

Excuse me while I go cry in a corner. *sniff*

+2 definitely thought you were a guy. Although you still could actually be a guy, and you are messing with us to make us feel e-guilt about not knowing your chromosome composition. It's called the Heisenberg Uncertain e-Principle.

...Schrodinger might say you are a guy and a girl at the same time...

...mind blown? You're welcome.

+2 definitely thought you were a guy. Although you still could actually be a guy, and you are messing with us to make us feel e-guilt about not knowing your chromosome composition. It's called the Heisenberg Uncertain e-Principle.

You are very strange.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

+1

It took me awhile but I think I have it. The doctor was Jesus.

Seriously? If I hated everybody, I'd be giving bad advice to those also waiting for interviews at my schools. Since I've yet to sabotage anybody, you should be reasonably confident that both of my statements are sarcastic.

SHE'S joking! Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh. Stupid Internet- everybody thinks I'm a guy. (my avatar, of course, has nothing to do with it.)

No hard feelings...I just had to come up with a response to that statement haha.

And seriously I thought you were a guy too....I know Gujudoc puts under her screen name that she's not a dude; I think your avatar being so masculine gives off that sentiment.

No hard feelings...I just had to come up with a response to that statement haha.

And seriously I thought you were a guy too....I know Gujudoc puts under her screen name that she's not a dude; I think your avatar being so masculine gives off that sentiment.

NPH is an openly gay guy who's rather effeminate... :laugh:

1789117-hijacked.gif

Last edited:
Fortunately for my I have a very instate friendly med school that has accepted me. I submitted maybe 20 other applications complete back in september and have been getting straight worked. 7 rejections with the rest silent. Decent mcat, high GPA, got a 1st author paper, gonna have a MS degree in may, got the standard volunteering clinical experience... so i feel for you guys, its hard in the streets, good luck

Fortunately for my I have a very instate friendly med school that has accepted me. I submitted maybe 20 other applications complete back in september and have been getting straight worked. 7 rejections with the rest silent. Decent mcat, high GPA, got a 1st author paper, gonna have a MS degree in may, got the standard volunteering clinical experience... so i feel for you guys, its hard in the streets, good luck

Congrats on an acceptance!

What state med school is so kind as to make the application process friendly? Seems like an oxymoron, but I will promptly move there if I need to reapply.

Nonsense! This thread is for those without interviews. Nobody said that's all we had to talk about.

Not to mention that without interviews, there isn't really much to talk about outside of how depressed we are that med schools hate us, so it's better to just try and guess what sex a person is based on their avatar and such.

Not to mention that without interviews, there isn't really much to talk about outside of how depressed we are that med schools hate us, so it's better to just try and guess what sex a person is based on their avatar and such.

Exactly. Besides, there's already a forever alone thread for moping.

It's not med school, but I hear back from my top choice grad program next week! WOOHOO!

0 interviews, 0 rejections. Submitted in July/Early August. GIMME SOME NEWS!!!!

I want some news too... any news...
How many schools are you waiting on?

it's 4:30. do you know where your interviews are?

Nice, applying in true Tim Tebow style! No hope until the last possible moment and then you steal the game back and win.

Make sure to thank your lord and saviour Jesus Christ when you get that acceptance call from the dean.

Nice, applying in true Tim Tebow style! No hope until the last possible moment and then you steal the game back and win.

Make sure to thank your lord and saviour Jesus Christ when you get that acceptance call from the dean.

Tebow will pull through.
Another month or so. Just hang in there!

I am in the non-interview boat (0 invites out of 3 MDs) and I was wondering if guys could give me some advice on my gap year if I need to reapply this summer. I haven't completely lost hope or anything like that - but I'm the kind of person that needs to have a plan or I'll just go crazy :)

I'm currently sitting on a fairly balanced 27 and a 3.5gpa/3.4sgpa and will be graduating this semester with a biology bs. I have solid ECs in research/volunteering/shadowing.

I've been debating whether or not I should do a 1-year masters in anatomy next year. I'm currently in the process of getting my application through, I just don't know if this is a "waste of money" or if pursuing a masters will help my application for next year. I don't think my gpa is terrible, but its not great either - which is why I'm wondering if a smp makes sense for me.

Would it be better to get a medically relevant job instead? I want to work as a scribe (maybe I could do this and my masters simultaneously???) but I don't know where to start. My local hospitals don't have openings online, but is there a better way to get scribe work?

Also, I am definitely re-taking the MCAT (for the third, painful time) which I plan to take in July.

Aaaand... if I reapply this summer I'm definitely (1) applying to more than 3 schools and (2) getting my secondaries in much much much earlier than november!

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best of luck to everyone :)

Also, I am definitely re-taking the MCAT (for the third, painful time) which I plan to take in July.

My advice would be to move that MCAT earlier so you can apply on day 1. LATE APPLICATIONS ARE DOOM. Oh, hindsight. Such a bitter pill to swallow.

There's a slim hope I'll get in this cycle, but I'm also signed up for my 3rd MCAT. We should be trice study buddies. :beat:

i took mcat three times too, i thought that was rare, third time's the charm!!!
good luck!!