No interviews yet, should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainingonsunday95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
503 MCAT, 3.4 GPA and 3.56 sGPA, decent extracurriculars. completed all my secondaries in September. Only 3 rejections so far, and no interviews. Just wondering if the thanksgiving rules apply this here. Should I be worried and prepare for an MCAT retake?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. And next time submit everything IMMEDIATELY. Like on the first day the cycle opens.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
503 MCAT, 3.4 GPA and 3.56 sGPA, decent extracurriculars. completed all my secondaries in September. Only 3 rejections so far, and no interviews. Just wondering if the thanksgiving rules apply this here. Should I be worried and prepare for an MCAT retake?

I had similar stats as yours and received my first secondary around Christmas, II in January, interview in Feb, accepted a week later.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m here with you. 3.5 cGPA, 3.25 sGPa and 506 MCAT. Only one II, one pre II hold, and 1 R. Still waiting on 18 schools. Hopefully there will be more love for us in the later half of the cycle..

I had similar stats and submitted at a similar time. EC's strong but not exceptional. My interviews were in late January and late April. That being said it's never too early to start working on next year's application (by getting more hours or preparing for an MCAT retake). I received my only acceptance in late July. I had started working on my new application in March after being put on the first school's waitlist. I was kicking myself for not using the winter in between to jump start my reapplication.

Same MCAT and 121 on CARS... Immigrant...

Members don't see this ad :)
4IIs, 3WL, 1 Awaiting. Hope more IIs will come next months. I'm first gen Chinese, hope some will forgive my 121 cars...
If they don't, you should send them a copy of an MCAT CARS section in Chinese and tell them "Time for YOU to be judged, m*ther****er."

• Wow
I had similar stats and did well this cycle. I predict they'll be some movement after mid-December when most DO schools require deposit. How many DO schools did you apply to? MD schools? When you say decent, what do you mean? Did you have people look over your essays?

Apps go up when the economy tanks.

I surmise that with interviews being virtual, people are also hedging bets with MD by adding DO, since there's no travel cost involved
Do you think the competitiveness goes back to normal in a cycle or two?

Do you think the competitiveness goes back to normal in a cycle or two?
Don't forget the number of applicants goes up every year while the number of medical school seats barely increases.

Nuance! Each year brings 1-2 new DO schools, and both MD and DO increase class sizes.
Yes, but a drop in the bucket compared to the proportionate increase in applicants.

Apps have been declining at my school and a number of others. This is due to a decline in the age range of 20 somethings.
Interesting. Not what I had read, at least for overall stats.

Apps go up when the economy tanks.

I surmise that with interviews being virtual, people are also hedging bets with MD by adding DO, since there's no travel cost involved
So what your saying is, correct me if I am wrong please, people with higher stats who normally wouldn't apply to DO are applying since they have the ability to virtually interview? And in addition people with high stats are taking all there interviews instead of pulling out since it is easy to interview virtually? Do you think once these students commit to MD schools later in the cycle the doorway will open up for more mediocre candidates like myself?

So what your saying is, correct me if I am wrong please, people with higher stats who normally wouldn't apply to DO are applying since they have the ability to virtually interview? And in addition people with high stats are taking all there interviews instead of pulling out since it is easy to interview virtually? Do you think once these students commit to MD schools later in the cycle the doorway will open up for more mediocre candidates like myself?
Yes. I think that our school being close to these applicants is also a factor.

I suspect that many of these kids will bail on us once they get their MD accepts.

So yes, later in the cycle, there is still hope for you, although you should get used to being on the wait list until May/June/July!

Yes. I think that our school being close to these applicants is also a factor.

I suspect that many of these kids will bail on us once they get their MD accepts.

So yes, later in the cycle, there is still hope for you, although you should get used to being on the wait list until May/June/July!
thank you for the expertise! My 3 MD interviews have a 10th percentile of a 505-506. So I believe me and the waitlist will become very good friends throughout the cycle :lol:

Reactions: 1 users