No Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd say I'm an upper middle stat applicant complete in mid July: 3.89/3.9 sGPA and 3.91/3.92 cGPA, MCAT 519 (CARS was low about 126 but bio biochem 132), decent ECs and a gap year right now, but no interviews so far. I applied to about 30 top 50 schools and my State schools. I know it is early, well aware. Still, I see here so many ppl getting interviews already, some completed after me, and word that higher stat applicants are looked over first (not sure if I am considered in this pool or not, is it 518+ or 520+ or something else). Does this likely mean I have been rejected by schools without formal email, or have people with similar stats also not seen any interviews until later due to reassessments?

Just want to hear people's feedbacks to either ease or confirm my concerns.

Thanks guys,
The8

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say I'm an upper middle stat applicant complete in mid July: 3.89/3.9 sGPA and 3.91/3.92 cGPA, MCAT 519 (CARS was low about 126 but bio biochem 132), decent ECs and a gap year right now, but no interviews so far. I applied to about 30 top 50 schools and my State schools. I know it is early, well aware. Still, I see here so many ppl getting interviews already, some completed after me, and word that higher stat applicants are looked over first (not sure if I am considered in this pool or not, is it 518+ or 520+ or something else). Does this likely mean I have been rejected by schools without formal email, or have people with similar stats also not seen any interviews until later due to reassessments?

Thanks guys,
The8

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. I think it's early and we have to wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone is outside staring blindly at the eclipse.

tumblr_okza4q2CFA1qmtagno1_400.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Would you eat a poop hotdog for an interview now? If not, you're worrying too soon.

Reactions: 13 users
It's only August. You're being paranoid.

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks guys,
The8

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out IIs merely in chronological order.

Are you sure your app is complete? Verified by AMCAS?

Come back in November if you have no nibbles and then we can offer advice.

FYI, you are indeed a high stat applicant...WashU/U Penn class.

I don't mean to sound paranoid or impatient. Only worried considering all the invites I see going out now. Thank you @gyngyn and @Goro for the information and advice, really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to sound paranoid or impatient. Only worried considering all the invites I see going out now.
Then stop looking at SDN. I'm being serious. Step away, all you're doing is making yourself more anxious.

If it's Thanksgiving and you're still w/o an interview, I give you permission to be impatient and paranoid.

Reactions: 12 users
"Still early"
"See rule 1 in my signature"
"Take a deep breath"
sees 8 II's

Ok

It's easy to tell people to relax when you've got more interviews than the rest of us would get in two cycles.

Reactions: 17 users
We've still got 6 more months of possibly getting interview invites! I'm the only person that I know of in real life who has gotten any yet this cycle...

Reactions: 3 users
We've still got 6 more months of possibly getting interview invites! I'm the only person that I know of in real life who has gotten any yet this cycle...
SDN life is weird man.

I'm at a school where most people think you're early if you apply before Labor Day, so I'm literally the only person I know of in real life who has actually submitted, let alone complete.

Reactions: 9 users
Only on SDN is a 3.9/519 upper-middle when those stats are competitive for every school.

Reactions: 7 users
People on SDN make my 514 look bad. Your stats are great. I'm sure you'll get plenty of interviews, OP! Best of luck to you:)

Reactions: 2 users
GPA is from a State school (I personally think it was super difficult and I worked super hard, but I have heard some school may prefer private schools), and MCAT is a bit unbalanced with CARS so these may be some weaknesses in the otherwise overall good stats.

GPA is from a State school (I personally think it was super difficult and I worked super hard, but I have heard some school may prefer private schools), and MCAT is a bit unbalanced with CARS so these may be some weaknesses in the otherwise overall good stats.

OP I have almost identical stats as you, but my CARS is a 125. I'm also from a state school and I've gotten some love from some schools so far. don't stress yourself out, everyone's applications will have flaws in their own ways

I didn't get my first interview invitation until September and then the floodgates opened. Do not worry yet!

Reactions: 8 users
I was just in your same spot and got my first II yesterday. Everyone is right you just have to relax. And when your first comes in you'll relax even more knowing you don't have any fatal flaws in your app.

OP I have almost identical stats as you, but my CARS is a 125. I'm also from a state school and I've gotten some love from some schools so far. don't stress yourself out, everyone's applications will have flaws in their own ways
Thanks! That makes me feel much less uncomfortable. @MCATISEZ ahhhh congrats! I'm still at 0 but hoping for some soon too! I got secondary from UCLA and they allegedly check through ECs and PS so I guess I know those don't have any killers, but LOE could have something, don't know yet:/

Thanks! That makes me feel much less uncomfortable. @MCATISEZ ahhhh congrats! I'm still at 0 but hoping for some soon too! I got secondary from UCLA and they allegedly check through ECs and PS so I guess I know those don't have any killers, but LOE could have something, don't know yet:/
Thats exactly how I feel right now. I just want one II to ease my anxiety over my application. I'm afraid of the possibility of some red flag somewhere, particularly LOR's. Then again, I did get the secondaries for UCSD and UCSF so idk how to feel really.

CARS of 124 and from a state school. I've done okay so far. It's only August and most schools are starting to review now. There's plenty of time and especially with OPs stats. (S)he will be just fine.

Thats exactly how I feel right now. I just want one II to ease my anxiety over my application. I'm afraid of the possibility of some red flag somewhere, particularly LOR's. Then again, I did get the secondaries for UCSD and UCSF so idk how to feel really.
Yo, I feel you. Let me know if you get one, I'm sure everything will turn up ok as time goes on. I talked to a friend recently, he said september is where they start throwing people rejections and interviews for the most part.

I feel the same as you and OP. 3.9X/52X, still no interviews despite having been complete 3-4 weeks at most places. I'm also worried I have a red flag, but like you I received all the UC secondaries. I don't know if the UCs, particularly UCSF/UCLA, check your LORs before sending the secondaries.

Last edited:
I feel the same as you and OP. 3.94/521, still no interviews despite having been complete 3-4 weeks at most places. I'm also worried I have a red flag, but like you I received all the UC secondaries. I don't know if the UCs, particularly UCSF/UCLA, check your LORs before sending the secondaries.
yo your stats are fire. Honestly, I heard they don't look at LOEs so I am pretty worried about that too. It is early though, so maybe its something more along the lines of perceived superstars get interviews first (crazy stats + some great EC experience/PS + you know somebody) I wouldnt worry yet, otherwise itll eat me up -_-

yo your stats are fire. Honestly, I heard they don't look at LOEs so I am pretty worried about that too. It is early though, so maybe its something more along the lines of perceived superstars get interviews first (crazy stats + some great EC experience/PS + you know somebody) I wouldnt worry yet, otherwise itll eat me up -_-

Yeah, I'm trying not to worry. I've never been anywhere close to an anxious person before and always did well under stress, especially in my courses... but med admissions seems to do things to people. I guess something about being in limbo is gut-wrenching. I know it's early but seeing people with similar numbers as me who submitted at the same time have 5+ interviews is starting to bother me a bit. Hopefully it makes you feel a better that I'm in the same position.

Also one more thought: I think that if you or I had some really big red flag in our letters, we would be getting rejected pretty fast instead of being strung along until March. At least, that's what I think - maybe someone can shed light on that. Probably more likely is a combination of things that they just haven't gotten to our apps yet.

Last edited:
lol you're fine, I didn't get any interview invites until the end of September last year, and I ended up getting into 3 schools.

Just FYI, the anxiety never really stops. I have gotten 2 II's and I still feel insecure about my application. I think this is exacerbated by that fact that I get on SDN and see people with much worse stats get 10+ interviews at all the schools I applied to. You are definitely not alone. Don't let SDN make this very stressful year of your life even worse. You guys will get in! If you don't, there's no hope for the rest of us!

Reactions: 6 users
"Still early"
"See rule 1 in my signature"
"Take a deep breath"
sees 8 II's

Ok

It's easy to tell people to relax when you've got more interviews than the rest of us would get in two cycles.

...and counting....
:corny:

Sure, it's probably easier from my end to say, ...edit... "Rule 1: Take a Breath," because I've had some II's... but the advice still stands ok:rolleyes:

"don't h8 the player, h8 the game" —also @gonnif

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm trying not to worry. I've never been anywhere close to an anxious person before and always did well under stress, especially in my courses... but med admissions seems to do things to people. I guess something about being in limbo is gut-wrenching. I know it's early but seeing people with similar numbers as me who submitted at the same time have 5+ interviews is starting to bother me a bit. Hopefully it makes you feel a better that I'm in the same position.

Also one more thought: I think that if you or I had some really big red flag in our letters, we would be getting rejected pretty fast instead of being strung along until March. At least, that's what I think - maybe someone can shed light on that. Probably more likely is a combination of things that they just haven't gotten to our apps yet.
Yeah man, the limbo sucks. I have never been this anxious either.... but yeah seeing people with lower or same stats at the same time get interviews def did it to me.... scared of the silent rejections. Its nice to know im not in the same boat.... I really don't see any major major red flag but you never know. I agree though, there are several ppl with II and rejections, at least we don't have rejections either.... I know Mayo, Case and several other schools have already started sending rejections.

l've just added 5 more schools because I only got 1 II since July. I opened my email to today and realized that that I had wasted 200$
Can I get a refund from AMCAS? :(

I just wanted to add this comment...

Some of you are bothered that you're seeing others with similar or lesser stats getting interviews to the same schools you've applied to, but they haven't (yet) sent an II to you.

This is just a heads up..... when you do interview, don't be surprised when you see postings from equally-strong or weaker applicants who were interviewed at the same time, or even at a later date, get their acceptance before you hear yay or nay or WL. Schools accept based on their wants and needs. If a SOM needs more females then they may accept some females very soon after being interviewed (hoping to lock them down), while the males with similar or stronger stats may not hear anything for months.

Reactions: 1 users
l've just added 5 more schools because I only got 1 II since July. I opened my email to today and realized that that I had wasted 200$
Can I get a refund from AMCAS? :(
Like you missed them??

I started receiving IIs from schools I submitted (I think) terrible/cringy/arrogant secondaries to. If they interview me despite those essays, I'm gonna be fine lol

I started receiving IIs from schools I submitted (I think) terrible/cringy/arrogant secondaries to. If they interview me despite those essays, I'm gonna be fine lol
all my current II's are from my worst secondary essays. i'm convinced this whole process is governed by a monkey playing whack-a-mole

Reactions: 10 users
Honestly, I think an early II can be a bad thing. I was offered my first interview last cycle in July, which is insanely early! The fast response gave me a false sense of "security" and I didn't prepare for my interview at all. Hind sight is 20/20, and the very fast II made me overconfident.

Honestly, I think an early II can be a bad thing. I was offered my first interview last cycle in July, which is insanely early! The fast response gave me a false sense of "security" and I didn't prepare for my interview at all. Hind sight is 20/20, and the very fast II made me overconfident.
Interesting that I feel exactly the opposite. Ever since I started using SDN, life's got harder. :nailbiting: