No longer excited after acceptances :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The tag should just read "MUGME" instead. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting strangers know what my profession is given gross public misconceptions about physician wealth (and crazy stuff like this happening: https://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/3873318-Pharmacies-see-an-armed-robbery-epidemic/).
I wouldn't want to do it because I don't want someone flagging me down after an accident and carrying the liability that comes with that.

Butttt, the point of the plate is to allow medical staff to park in no parking zones around a hospital. As someone who works in a Manhattan hospital, that is pretty useful. It sometimes takes a grad student in my lab over a hour to find a parking spot

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't want to do it because I don't want someone flagging me down after an accident and carrying the liability that comes with that.

Butttt, the point of the plate is to allow medical staff to park in no parking zones around a hospital. As someone who works in a Manhattan hospital, that is pretty useful. It sometimes takes a grad student in my lab over a hour to find a parking spot
Damn that's a pretty nice perk to have!

Damn that's a pretty nice perk to have!
It's not supposed to be for doctors o do whatever they want, but in the case of an on call emergency allows them to get right in

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can't take money with you die. The way I look at it, you should be happy that you're not going to be working some dead end 9-5 job just to live comfortably. I haven't met a single physician that complains about finances. You should try to do some more shadowing just to get your head back into focus, just a suggestion. What you're feeling however, is normal. I'm sure I'll get some jitters around May.

Reactions: 1 user
Same here. The thought that some kid's grandma might be at my mercy and all of my human error will take some getting used to.
Reading Gawande's Complications also freaks me out a bit about physician fallibility and bell curve performance spread...:confused:
Or my version:

"They're going to let ME be a f***ing doctor?! o_O

What have I done..."

I don't mean to sound terrible but I do panic about this too. It seems like when I'm driving around the city, most of the cars that have MD plates are old and not too nice. So I'm thinking when I pull up to the side of the car I'm going to see a young, struggling resident but most of the time the person driving is older ( 60's). And I start thinking, " oh no, they're still paying off loans"! Don't kill me for saying this. Lol.i know it's not about the money but, omg.

you shouldn't look at someone's car to gauge how well they are doing financially. Where I'm from there are kids who are broke and live with their parents, but they drive brand new BMWs. One guy I know took out a crazy loan to buy an Audi and he's 28 and lives in his parents basement... and one of the wealthiest people I know is my dad's friend, who is a retired corporate lawyer (most of his wealth is from investing though, not law). He lives in a huge mansion on Long Island and he drives a really old acura. This guy could have a brand new ferrari if he wanted one. I've known this guy for years and know that he grew up very poor. I think he just thinks about money differently and doesn't feel the need to drive a new car. He invests in his house though. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason he drives that old car is because cars are actually a bad investment.

Reactions: 2 users
My personal observation has been the older MDs have been the stereotypical well of doctors that the general public knows about. Young MDs (even a few years out of fellowship) are still struggling with years of loans.

I don't mean to sound terrible but I do panic about this too. It seems like when I'm driving around the city, most of the cars that have MD plates are old and not too nice. So I'm thinking when I pull up to the side of the car I'm going to see a young, struggling resident but most of the time the person driving is older ( 60's). And I start thinking, " oh no, they're still paying off loans"! Don't kill me for saying this. Lol.i know it's not about the money but, omg.
It's probably more about not valuing a fancy car and prioritizing other things. I know plenty of folks with plenty of money who don't drive fancy cars, and it's almost always because they just don't fetishize cars and would rather spend $$ on something else.

I didn't mean " fancy car". I said an " old and not too nice car". I meant like driving a 25 year old , not in good shape clunker type of car. I didn't mean they should drive a Mercedes or Lexus type thing. I didn't even mean a 2005 Toyota type car, that would be fine. I don't think that a nice car= wealth. I am aware that wealthy people don't have to drive expensive cars. In New York many people have 2 million dollar apartments ( not me, lol) and no car. I meant it to be in fun, not so serious.if people were offended, I'm. sorry. Didn't mean for it to sound materialistic at all. Meant it in a " joke type of way".

Last edited:
Just like the hundreds of thousands of doctors that have come before you, so too will you pay off your debts. Relax.

You mean the doctors that went to school when tuition was 10k a year and not 50k?

Reactions: 2 users