No love from Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burlypie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...my first pre-secondary rejection...ouch. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry dude, but better now than after you fill out (and pay) for the secondary.

I wonder if Stanford will be my first pre-sec rejection...

D'they email you, or was it snailmail

snail mail. thin envalope, and they were quick about it too.

Anyone know their GPA/MCAT cutoffs? I'm just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha... when I applied to Stanford, I got my rejection letter SO quickly I swear they must have mailed it to me the day they received my AMCAS application. They also rejected me when I applied there for undergrad and grad school. I'm sure they will reject me when I apply there for residency. Stanford can kiss my ass.

and the great stanford massacre of 2003-2004 begins :( ....

dont sweat it man, stanford must have the most strigent screen of any school out there. There was an internal memo from their admissions office that someone posted last year, and they basically use a "reject-o-matic" computer algorithm based on a bunch of stuff, gpa, mcat, disadvantaged status, and other variables i cant remember to determing who passes the first cut.

just concentrate on the rest of your applications :D

stanford's pre-secondary rejection letters were like a tidal wave last year. i knew 5 of my friends, all with good stats, that got rejected on the same day last august. looks like the cardinal is heating up to do the same thing again this year.

Originally posted by DW
and the great stanford massacre of 2003-2004 begins :( ....

dont sweat it man, stanford must have the most strigent screen of any school out there. There was an internal memo from their admissions office that someone posted last year, and they basically use a "reject-o-matic" computer algorithm based on a bunch of stuff, gpa, mcat, disadvantaged status, and other variables i cant remember to determing who passes the first cut.

just concentrate on the rest of your applications :D

Well, I don't know how the hell they make their decisions, but I was shocked to not even get a secondary considering my GPA and MCAT scores were extremely high--not to blow my own horn... but, seriously, do they only send out secondaries to the top 0.1% of all applicants (number-wise)?!? I think it must simply be a conspiracy against me. :D

Ah well, things turned out for the best.

Originally posted by sacrament
Well, I don't know how the hell they make their decisions, but I was shocked to not even get a secondary considering my GPA and MCAT scores were extremely high--not to blow my own horn... but, seriously, do they only send out secondaries to the top 0.1% of all applicants (number-wise)?!? I think it must simply be a conspiracy against me. :D

http://www.med.stanford.edu/senate/01-02/01-11-14 Att B1 Admissions Report.pdf

hmm, i dug up the memo from a search. I didnt apply but man they're rough..one of my friends had a 3.8 and a 34 from vandy and got axed barely after his amcas transmitted last year. yikes!

rejections before august? damn, thats just downright coldhearted :(

Originally posted by DW
http://www.med.stanford.edu/senate/01-02/01-11-14 Att B1 Admissions Report.pdf

hmm, i dug up the memo from a search. I didnt apply but man they're rough..one of my friends had a 3.8 and a 34 from vandy and got axed barely after his amcas transmitted last year. yikes!

rejections before august? damn, thats just downright coldhearted :(

Well, I had a 3.9 in chemical engineering and a 38 on the MCAT and, like I said, I was rejected immediately.

Well, I had a 3.9 in chemical engineering and a 38 on the MCAT and, like I said, I was rejected immediately.

good lord!!! :scared:

thank God I didnt apply there, thats painful.

Sounds like I am about to get a rejection letter today too then.

I should have just spent my AMCAS fee for Stanford on lotto tickets. I bet I had a better chance to hit the jackpot than to get into Stanford as a non-URM non-Cali resident.

i dunno. i feel like applying now just so i can join the club.

but atleast it is pre-secondary so you dont waste money sending it in only for them to cash your check and run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correction: I had a 37, not a 38, on the MCAT. But still, it's enough to make me wonder if the dude putting my numbers into their program took a break and happened to read my personal statement, absolutely hated it, and rejected me on the spot. It's a moot point, OHSU was my 1st choice anyway, but it still makes me angry. :mad:

As I recall from some 2001 memos, they only send secondaries to about 1/3 of applicants.

I think you don't realize there is a silver lining to your rejection. Many schools will apply the same numeric formulae *after* they receive your secondary money. That is, in some ways, I think Stanford is doing you a favor by letting you know you won't make the numeric cut. I've heard other schools may try to squeeze more money from applicants who are as good as rejected already...so Stanford's is not entirely a bad policy.

If anything, I think that more schools should do this pre-secondary screening, if they are planning to use an initial numeric formulae which can be deduced from the primary anyway.

For the sake of reference, I know someone who got into Stanford med this year. He had sky-high stats from probably the best undergrad in the country, and he was interviewing at places like Duke, Harvard (HST and New Pathway), Yale, JHU, Washington-St. Louis, Penn, Michigan (out of state), and UCSF (out of state). That's the sort of applicant who gets into places like Stanford.

Most people I knew at my school and myself were told by the premed advisors not to apply there, and these were pretty talented people. Just goes to show how hard it is to get in there.

i'd rather get rejected during round 1, and save the money and buy myself some food.

stanfurd+pissed+

On that pdf file that someone posted Stanford lists ten factors they use for determining who gets sent supplemental applications.
1. MCAT Biological Sciences Score 6. Age
2. MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score 7. Sex
3. MCAT Physical Sciences Score 8. Disadvantaged Consideration
4. Science GPA 9. Under represented Minority Consideration
5. Quality of School 10. Graduate School

I'm not sure if these are listed in order of importance or not. Hopefully they are, because my MCAT BS and VR are definitely the strongest parts of my app.

i got a 2ndary last year, and my scores/gpa were nowhere near yours. the rest of my application is fairly interesting, but i didn't get an interview. plus, stanford's class is like 80 people. if they wanted to fill the place with people having sky high stats from the best schools in the country, they could. point being, stanford can be really *really* choosy -- if they want a music major who spent a year in guatamala and also does nail art on the side for some extra cash, i'm sure they could find that person.

just be glad you are saved the $ of the 2ndary and the interview. my money flew right to palo alto, never to be seen again. :laugh:

I am amazed that they can get away with ranking based on gender and age. But I should do great - if they just do a straight numerical total, I get 41 for age, so that should bring me up into the competitive category at least.

stanford is weird... received post secondary rejection almost the same day i submitted it... you will get good news from other schools... F Stanford

They're so fast for the pre-secondary rejections, but if you are a post-secondary rejection, it can take a really long time. I think I got mine in April.

i would guess it's more of a weighted percentage thing to build an index number....in other words, they want a certain percent of people who are in X age range and another percent who are in Y age range. Same goes with gender so that they can get the class around 50/50.

Unfortunately, I don't think you get more points added straight out into the formula based on the raw number of your age.

Hey people,

Here is a little advice from someone who has first-hand knowledge of Stanford's admissions process. DO not feel bad if they reject u. they have 89 spots and over 5000 applications...so they look for diversity. it is NOT all about the numbers at all!!! it is based on trying to get a diverse class. I interviewed there with a 30 MCAT!!! yes, it is true, i only had a 30 MCAT (but I did have 3.98 GPA from one of the best non-US universities). I am not URM. i looved the school so much and both my interviewers said it was a perfect match for me. I really thought i would get in. I was rejected post-interview. I asked the associate dean of admissions, dean garcia for his opinion on my unsuccessful application and i wasn't rejected b/c of my low MCAT - it is all about diversity!! they interview only 10% of their applicants and then have to narrow that down by 2/3!

applying to stanford is like gambling. u can win, mostly lose, and surprises do happen.

man, if they're rejecting people with 37 MCATS and near perfect GPA's... then it can't be an algorithm, can it? But if they're reading through applications, how do they manage to start rejecting so fast?

I'm all the way here in Philly so maybe I'll be fooled into thinking I didn't get a rejection letter only to get it a couple of days later all the way from Palo Alto.

I won't be able to check my mail until Tuesday. Wonder what I'll find?

On the off chance that they haven't rejected somebody, how and when do they notify you?

have you guys checked your status on their webpage? what does it say if you've been rejected vs. not?

Mine says:

Date secondary received: blank
Date LOR received: blank

does it automatically start out like this, or does it mean I passed?

Mine says something along the lines of we don't have your application yet. I wonder if this means I have a big fat (or thin actually) rejection coming... Can one of the people who got a rejection letter (sorry to bring it up) check their status page and tell us what it says?

Thanks

Originally posted by soonerpillow
have you guys checked your status on their webpage? what does it say if you've been rejected vs. not?

Mine says:

Hmm, I cant even find the status page for Stanford and I am yet to receive an email.

Me too. I'm just glad I haven't received a thin envelope yet. Although it could be coming...

Got the finger from Stanford today. I really thought I'd like to attend - solid stats (nothing spectacular - 3.6 GPA, 30P, URM), even.

Oh boy, here goes the Stanford rejection thread. If you do a search, there is a thread from last summer that has people with great stats who got rejected. I applied two summers ago and was rejected so fast !!!. I turned my AMCAS on early July of 2001 and got rejected within that week I think (perhaps even sooner). It felt as if they rejected me the moment they received my application.

Don't worry about a Stanford rejection even if you have high stats. Stanford is strict on their requirements but not hard on their requirements. They look for unique applicants and the numbers have very little to do with that sometimes. As a previous poster said, they look for diversity. This means that a person with a 30 MCAT can get accepted while another with a 40 will get rejected. I know this because I have known quite a few cases that prove this to be true.

On a side note, I know a girl who got accepted to Stanford with a 3.7 GPA and 24 on the mcat (yes 24!). She is URM. Go figure!

Originally posted by green plastic
On a side note, I know a girl who got accepted to Stanford with a 3.7 GPA and 24 on the mcat (yes 24!). She is URM. Go figure!

Wow. Maybe if I had a lower GPA and MCAT, Stanford would accept me. No wait, that's not it. :rolleyes:

Maybe i will travel to Canada and add some diversity to my life

Stanford kiss my a$$.

Arg! I wanna get home so I can check my mail! What will be in my mailbox? Will I also get "No Love from Stanford?" Tune in tomorrow to find out! :)

I was interviewed at Stanford with less than a 3.4 GPA. Keep up hope.

Couple of days ago my dad calls me on my cell phone all excited saying, "...there's a letter from Stanford!!!... "

I thought it was just another secondary application, but when I came home later that day and opened it, I couldn't believe the expediency they used in rejecting my application.

This is not the first time I have had to deal with Stanford in this way. I applied for a Summer program in biomedical sciences research up a Stanford a couple of summers back (mind you I had just received my first research publication at the time; sophomore year). I had been talking to the program director for a few months prior to my interview for the program. Everything was peachy, he kept telling me that I had no need to worry and that the program is never completely filled up during the summer. When it came time for the interview, I sat down across the table from the director, and it was pretty much, "we're looking for more qualified applicants... blah blah blah... I'm sorry you just don't fit the profile..." :eek:

I couldn't believe my ears, it was the most blatant form of raci... err... AA of the worst kind I had ever witnessed. :mad:

And I wondered why I didn't receive a secondary...

Just another white guy trying to make the cut... sheesh.

rant over...

Originally posted by bcdnw
I was interviewed at Stanford with less than a 3.4 GPA. Keep up hope.
As a mutant, I was rejected pre-secondary w/my 35+ mcat.

Originally posted by Dr. Xavier
As a mutant, I was rejected pre-secondary w/my 35+ mcat.

Im still waiting for my rejection letter as an ORM.

Sorry to hear about the mutant discrimination professor X.

Originally posted by soonerpillow

Mine says:

sooner, this was evil :D of course after i read this post i had to go check my status too, anal anxious pre-med that i am...but mine says almost exactly same thing. i haven't yet received the letter...

the agony, the agony....

Has anyone heard anything positive from stanford or are they rejecting everyone that applies?

They decided to not have a med school anymore, so they're just collecting the app fees until people catch on.

if they're going to reject me I wish they'd hurry up and do it, I could use the kick in the a$$ for secondaries

Originally posted by Jonkst
They decided to not have a med school anymore, so they're just collecting the app fees until people catch on.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think you are golden sooner....i was rejected and my application is "not found" on their status page.
Congrats on surviving....are you from a top school....looking at their class profile i dont see any no name schools...

I took a look at the entering class profile for Stanford Medical School-Class of 2002. California State University-Long Beach and California State University-Los Angeles aren't exactly "prestigious" schools. Although I agree though, most of the schools represented in Stanford Medical are in the top tier of American education. But I think this has much more to do with the fact that the top schools tend to have higher quality applicants than the schools in the 3rd and 4th tiers. This relates to the strength of the freshman class at the top tier schools because they tend to have higher SAT averages.

http://www-med.stanford.edu/osa/admissions/mdprogram/

Originally posted by hightrump
I think you are golden sooner....i was rejected and my application is "not found" on their status page.
Congrats on surviving....are you from a top school....looking at their class profile i dont see any no name schools...

Am I from a top school? Well, football, yes. Academics, no. :D
I go to the University of Oklahoma!!! It's not exactly a no name school, but it isn't top tier, either.

Well, it's about 4 hours until I get to check my mail...I guess what I'm hoping for is to get nothing from Stanford, right?

Has anyone on the East Coast heard anything yet?

well, I just checked my mail and....nothing. So I guess I'm okay for now. Yippee! It's kind of anticlimactic to NOT get something in the mail, but hey, I'll take it. :D