No luv for da Eye guy

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are dentists and medical doctors looked upon as a more prestigous job than optometrists? I was reading that optometry schools have a 12.9% decrease in applicants from 2000 to 2001. That's kinda fishy....

http://asm.wku.edu/faculty/Crawford/Web_Temp/optfaf.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Medical doctors are more marketable than optometrists. The decrease in optometry school applications will continue to drop in my opinion. Admission to Optometry school has become a joke. Try paying back over $100,000 in student loans in some states across the country where jobs have become scarce.
In my opinion, optometrists do not get much respect from the public no matter how good clinically we might be. That's the fact. Admissions counselors, optometry schools, academic faculty live in there own world - a world apart from the real world-etc........where they will make you believe and sell you the idea that "they are the ones." This is a waste of a profession. I do not care if you are treating glaucoma and using GDx machines and all the latest technolology in diagnosing and treating and getting reimbursed for each- the respect is just not there.
My opinion and from my point of view.

Originally posted by Reality check
The decrease in optometry school applications will continue to drop in my opinion. Admission to Optometry school has become a joke. Try paying back over $100,000 in student loans in some states across the country where jobs have become scarce.

Whoa... has it gotten that bad? Are there too many Optometrists and too little jobs?

From the Government Occupational Outlook:

Employment of optometrists is expected to grow about as fast as the average for all occupations through 2010 in response to the vision care needs of a growing and aging population. As baby boomers age, they will be more likely to visit optometrists and ophthalmologists because of the onset of vision problems in middle age, including those resulting from the extensive use of computers. The demand for optometric services also will increase because of growth in the oldest age group, with their increased likelihood of cataracts, glaucoma, diabetes, and hypertension. Employment of optometrists also will grow due to greater recognition of the importance of vision care, rising personal incomes, and growth in employee vision care plans.
Employment of optometrists would grow more rapidly were it not for anticipated productivity gains that will allow each optometrist to see more patients. These expected gains stem from greater use of optometric assistants and other support personnel, who will reduce the amount of time optometrists need with each patient. Also, new surgical procedures using lasers are available that can correct some vision problems, but they remain expensive. Optometrists will still be needed to perform pre-operative and post-operative care for laser surgery; however, patients who successfully undergo this surgery may not require optometrists to prescribe glasses or contacts for several years.

In addition to growth, the need to replace optometrists who leave the occupation will create employment opportunities. Relatively few opportunities from this source are expected, however, because optometrists usually continue to practice until they retire; few transfer to other occupations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who are you? Are you trying to get into Optometry school? Are you interested in a career in optometry?
I seriously advise you to get as much info of the profession as you could and actually shadow/ work with an optometrist before commiting to this profession. You might want to challenge yourself and want more out of life than just becoming an optometrist.
Keep reading the occupational handbook and you'll get far in life lololololl

you think you got jokes? i don't know if your trying to be funny or a smart a$$. anyhow, you don't know me, so we will see who will get "far" in life.

oh yeah, the names Bus

I asked you a few simple questions that you could not answer.
I wasn't being a smart a$$.
Bus as in busted?

"Keep reading the occupational handbook and you'll get far in life lololololl"

RC I think it might have been this part that may have set bus off. Just a hunch though buddy. (Wow man! I'm just praying that I'm not that much of an a$$ when I'm thirty years old)

I asked you a few simple questions that you could not answer.
I wasn't being a smart a$$.
Bus as in busted?

couldn't answer? hardly... more like didn't care to. time for your daily "reality check" buddy.

wow... testosterone overload. geez

Those of us that have been around the forum for awhile know that RC does have some good points and antagonistic views of optometry. In general, he's pretty bitter about his lot in life.

But, it IS a good idea to know what you're getting into when you apply to optometry school. There ARE jobs out there. You will have to hunt for them. You might have to work in three offices part time at first to get enough hours until you can find full time work. That's the reality. It depends on where you live. If you're in CA .. have fun. Jobs are scarce.. but they are out there. I don't know anyone that's defaulted on their loans. Reserach your areas. If you live in the same city as an OD school.. good luck. The areas are usually totally saturated with ODs. And they're right about ODs not retiring. They usually wait a LONG time to retire. But, the reason usually is THEY LOVE THEIR JOBS and don't want to quit. It's not cuz they haven't made enough money. All the older docs I've talked to just don't want to give it up. They'd miss the friends they've made with patients they've seen for 15 years.

It's good that you're doing research on OD school. Shadow ODs that's the best advice I can give you. Ask them if they'd go back and do it again if they were your age again. Ask them the pros and cons they see of their profession. UHCO actually has you interview four ODs as part of your essays to gain admission.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions and want constructive input.
cpw

Busted will believe anything in a government book. Good luck finding a job after your 4 years of optometric school. Oh, also ask why ICO is so expensive, maybe ICO president's salary will tell you some story.

RC, just let them apply to optometry schools. I would rather have them pay 4 years of tuition and come begging for a sorry job in 2007/8. We will see who is laughing.

Optometry is good. You don't do much but get pay a lot. Patient really respects you. They think you are better than ophthalmologist. Working in the mall, you get a chance to get in on all the sales that mall has. Have nothing to do on weekend? You could go to work. Holiday is also your workday. America's best is your best friend, just check out www.2pairs.com

cpw i am not bitter about my life. Seriously, overall I'm very happy with my life and I thank God for what he's given me. From a professional work point, I was pretty happy for a good 6-7 years of practicing optometry until I realized I wanted more out of my job than primary care. Listen, I have worked w/ MD's-ophth at clinics done private practice and currently work in retail-sure you can get involved heavily practicing medical optometry in the appropriate setting but you're still an OD. The majority of medical and all surgical treatments are done by ophth's. It's a greater challenge and overall sense of gratification I believe than what we are doing. Yea yea ... we are taught all the systemic diseases that have ocular manifestations and are taught disease processes diagnosis and treatment etc.........overkill........... secondary and tertiary care is ophth domain. Period. We are good at what we do-primary care /CL's etc......but know we are and always will be beneath ophthalmology. Case closed.
I've said it before and will say it again- this is a waste of a profession. Why would anyone in 2003-2004 commit to over $25,000 tuition for a field that does not have promise.
I would never do this again. It's a great profession for what they pay and for what you do and how you practice but let's be honest - we are optometrists NOT EYE PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Busted wake up my man. You got alot to learn little buddy.
Good Luck in your optometric carreer! lolololololololollolol

It's a great profession for what they pay and for what you do and how you practice but let's be honest - we are optometrists NOT EYE PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Top 10 List of Other Professionals That Optometrists Are Not:

10. Longshoremen
9. Bricklayers
8. Aromatherapists
7. Airconditioning Repair Technician
6. Salvage Diver
5. Toll-booth Attendant
4. Dolphin Trainer
3. Artic Explorer
2. Government Economist

drumroll, please...
1. Ophthalmologists

Notice to anyone who is currently in -- or planning to apply to -- optometry school, if you want to do any of the jobs listed above -- you are in the wrong school!

Busted wake up my man. You got alot to learn little buddy.
Good Luck in your optometric carreer! lolololololololollolol

Again big boi, there you go with your assumptions...

Did I ever say I agreed with the government site? I was simply asking a question about why there was a decrease in applicants, but an increase, according to the government site.

Oh yeah, here's a *reality check*(what a great name) for ya: I'm not don't plan on becoming an optometrist (that's all you RC), in fact, I don't remember saying I was going to.

Thanks for the information... I think I'll let you and your boy Opty talk to yourselves and hyperventilate. Keep "LOL-ing"; that makes two of us. :laugh: