No more grade replacement OptomCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vna

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I submitted a few applications and relialized that my gpa on the verified application is way below what I originally had from my official transcripts. I spoke to an Optomcas agent and was informed they are no longer accepting only the final attempt of a repeated course. Does anybody know when this went into effect ? I’m not sure if schools will consider me for admissions now and I’m really discouraged from finishing my applications to other schools. I’m not sure if schools only look for the final attempt or if they go by Optomcas’ gpa. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Vna--take a look at the thread "If you don't meet the minimum GPA, does that mean they won't even look at your application?" as we started discussing this in there. We have noticed that as well, and it looks like that new policy took into effect this cycle. It looks like some schools are using OptomCAS GPA only and not recalculating.
Do you know of any schools that recalculates GPA? Because it seems like almost all schools go with the OptomCAS's GPA, and won't consider the higher grade, even if your institution allows grade replacements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed the same thing and I was really upset. I don’t know when this went into effect but it really makes my hard work look like a waste of time. I hope they restructure it and go back to replacing the grades.

Don't be discouraged. Your hard work was not a waste of time and schools do look at your holistically as an applicant. Admissions boards are smart, and they aren't just going to glance at one aspect of your application and think, "Nope, not letting them in." I don't know much about the grade replacement situation on OptomCAS, but definitely don't let this hold you back or hinder your confidence.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't be discouraged. Your hard work was not a waste of time and schools do look at your holistically as an applicant. Admissions boards are smart, and they aren't just going to glance at one aspect of your application and think, "Nope, not letting them in." I don't know much about the grade replacement situation on OptomCAS, but definitely don't let this hold you back or hinder your confidence.
Thank you, I am trying my best like many students in this time, but it feels hard not to be discouraged when seeing everyone’s interview invites and acceptances while I feel that I am an average applicant but I have only received rejections so far. I am definitely not going to give up, I will be a reapply if this cycle doesn’t work out. This grade replacement situation though, I feel, throws a wrench in my application. I am sure others feel the same way.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Do you know of any schools that recalculates GPA? Because it seems like almost all schools go with the OptomCAS's GPA, and won't consider the higher grade, even if your institution allows grade replacements.
Sorry, I dont... I think what OptomCAS said is that if the undergrad school replaces the grade (so they erase the previous one) then they would too. But I dont know if undergrads do that?

Thank you, I am trying my best like many students in this time, but it feels hard not to be discouraged when seeing everyone’s interview invites and acceptances while I feel that I am an average applicant but I have only received rejections so far. I am definitely not going to give up, I will be a reapply if this cycle doesn’t work out. This grade replacement situation though, I feel, throws a wrench in my application. I am sure others feel the same way.
You are not alone ! I’m struggling here. Let us know which schools you hear back from. You have my support !

• Care
I got destroyed by that new policy. When I re-enrolled back into school 2.5 years ago, my pre-optometry advisor told me grades would be replaced. My heart nearly stopped when I saw my official OptomCAS app list 2.51 for cGPA and 2.48 for sGPA.

However, I've received four interviews and I've been accepted into two schools so far for Fall 2021 (waiting on 1 response and I declined 1 interview). I even somehow managed a modest scholarship. Keep your head up!

Congrats!!! This is awesome! My sGPA is also a 2.49 with this new policy but reading your post gives me hope! Can I ask which schools you have interviewed with?

Congrats!!! This is awesome! My sGPA is also a 2.49 with this new policy but reading your post gives me hope! Can I ask which schools you have interviewed with?
ICO (waiting but probably accepted), UIWRSO (accepted), KYCO (accepted), WesternU (I declined)
Schools liked my 360AA/360TS (400 in bio), my work experience (3 years CNA, 1 year optometric tech, licensed EMT), and the fact that I'm currently on a streak of 16 straight A's (which included quite a few upper-level sci classes).
UIWRSO didn't even mention my history of 11 F's and 8 D's during the interview, but ICO and KYCO both focused on it quite a bit.

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome stats! I also applied to Western U, and KYCO and a few others. I have AA:310 and TS: 310 with bio 340 and organic chem and general chem above 300 (I retook these classes in undergrad). QR and physics unfortunately I got a 280. Honestly I don’t have much optometric experience because I worked full time in undergrad. I do have extracurriculars, mentoring experience, optometric volunteer, shadowing, informational interviews in different modes of practice. I feel pretty average sometimes less but I’m going to stay positive !

Awesome stats! I also applied to Western U, and KYCO and a few others. I have AA:310 and TS: 310 with bio 340 and organic chem and general chem above 300 (I retook these classes in undergrad). QR and physics unfortunately I got a 280. Honestly I don’t have much optometric experience because I worked full time in undergrad. I do have extracurriculars, mentoring experience, optometric volunteer, shadowing, informational interviews in different modes of practice. I feel pretty average sometimes less but I’m going to stay positive !
There's a chance, good luck!

ICO (waiting but probably accepted), UIWRSO (accepted), KYCO (accepted), WesternU (I declined)
Schools liked my 360AA/360TS (400 in bio), my work experience (3 years CNA, 1 year optometric tech, licensed EMT), and the fact that I'm currently on a streak of 16 straight A's (which included quite a few upper-level sci classes).
UIWRSO didn't even mention my history of 11 F's and 8 D's during the interview, but ICO and KYCO both focused on it quite a bit.
I am going to apply to KYCO after I have my fall grades in, you give me hope!

Hello everyone,

I submitted a few applications and relialized that my gpa on the verified application is way below what I originally had from my official transcripts. I spoke to an Optomcas agent and was informed they are no longer accepting only the final attempt of a repeated course. Does anybody know when this went into effect ? I’m not sure if schools will consider me for admissions now and I’m really discouraged from finishing my applications to other schools. I’m not sure if schools only look for the final attempt or if they go by Optomcas’ gpa. Any thoughts?
So they averaged the two grades or calculated all the attempts? Like if you got C and A. Did they averaged that and multiplied by the credits of 3 or 4? Or did they count the grades differently?

Does all the schools go by the Optomcas gpa? Or do they calculate the gpa differently like taking the last attempt? My gpa is low too. It will be like 2.0 if all the attempts are taken. I am so nervous about it. I think I can do better on the OAT. Had been practicing it for 2 years.