No more pencils...No more books...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flybry2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a good feeling to finally be writing a comprehensive breakdown.:) Here goes...

Scores from 1st test 3 years ago...

PAT:15
QR: 13
RC:18
Bio: 17
GC: 14
OC: 13
TS: 15
AA: 15

I graduted from college back in '06, and took my DAT's right after. I wasn't nearly as motivated, and have as many resources that I do now. So after the 1st test, I figured I would just take it again when I was ready. So I spent the next 3 years "growing up" and rediscovering my motivation. It turned out, I was talking about becoming a dentist rather than doing anything to get there. Currently, I work full-time, anywhere from 5-7 days a week, from 8-12hrs a day, while juggling lifes responsibilities. So, 6 months ago, I started studying again. However, I was starting from ground zero and had forgotten just about everything I learned in college, except for movie quotes. I started out by watching all of Chad's Videos and taking extensive notes, which I reffered to quite frequently. After that, I went through Chem Odyessy. Some say it was too much, but I think it was vital because I learned a lot of the traps to watch out for, and learned some easier ways to approach o-chem. Also, from my wrong answers or things I didn't understand to well, I made flashcards and reviewed them at my leisure. Also, I used the road maps. After feeling the burn from o-chem I switched it up to Bio. I used KBB, Cliff's AP Bio book and flashcards, all cross-referenced with various internet searches, youtube, and wiki. Next was Math Destroyer, which gave my some headache at first. I timed myself for each test, and went through all of the problems afterwards. Applied mathmatics still makes me cringe though. Next, I reviewed all of my notes again before going into Destroyer. Went through it twice, especially the G-chem because the calculations gave me some trouble at first. Next was Crack the DAT. Looking back, I would say that CDP was the most beneficial for me. CDM was ok, but the problems were more difficult than what I would expect to see on the DAT. However, the testing format helped me. Crack reading was ok, but a lot of tone/inference questions. Crack science wasn't good at all, and I only did one test. Once I finished this program, I scheduled my test 3 weeks out, because I thought there was going to be a DAT blackout session in April so I opted to take it earlier than planned (Turns out there wasn't a blackout period.) I thought this was a sufficient amount of time to go through Acheiver, Topscore, and the 2009 sample DAT from the ADA. Acheiver was rough, to say the least. However, I made sure to go through my answers thoroughly. Topscore was good, and like everyone says, a close representation of the real deal. The 2009 sample DAT was ok, but there were some errors in the Bio section that I noticed (someone posted a thread about the same answers.)

So, the night before, my girl and I made a nice dinner, had a glass of wine, watched a movie, and walked the dogs. I woke up early the next morning and went to gym to get the blood moving. I had a pretty light breakfast that consisted of a bagel with an egg, and blueberries. I went to the testing center to check in, and four hours later this is what I got...

PAT: 25
QR: 18
RC:17
Bio: 18
GC: 21
OC: 20
TS: 19
AA: 19

RC is not the prettiest thing to look at, but I don't think it's horrible by any means. The angles in PAT weren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I remember seeing one question from the GC that was on the 2009 sample DAT. Bio wasn't bad, but it wasn't as straight forward as all the practice questions make it out to be. They were a little bit more comprehensive. OC wasn't bad, but I expected to do a lot better. The calculator on QR was helpful, and I'm glad to have pulled an 18. The key for me was to not get hung up on any questions and to stay frosty. Every section, I finished with extra time and reviewed my marked answers.

In retrospect, it's been rewarding, and now I feel that I have a better chance of being in the runnings for candidacy. Throughout this whole ordeal, there were good days, and bad days. Days were I wanted to give up and give in. But I came up with this simple formula that worked for me...Prayer + Patience + Perseverence = Progress. (Cheesy, I know.) It feels good knowing I don't have to wake and study 3-10 hours a day anymore, eventhough I will brush up from time to time. Now I'll be working on gathering more volunteer hours, LOR's, and a defining personal statement. So, best wishes for those who are still in the trenches. Don't give up, but don't over do it. Cheers!

Flybry2000
"Nothing comes easy and if it did it wasn't earned."

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! You definitely deserve it. Take a break and I'm sure you'll be in d-school next year.

Congrats... big improvement there. Im just curious... which DAT materials did you study the first time you took the test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job on such great improvement!

I am struggling with the math..and want to know if u suggest getting the Math Destroyer?

do you think I can go through the math destroyer and learn concepts from there??
I want to buy it soon so I would like your opinion.

Also, do you have a math destroyer you are willing to sell to me?
Please let me know.

Thanks!!

Nice man. I'm jealous of that PAT. Looking good! congrats and enjoy resting now :)

Sidenote: is this title inspired by the Aesop Rock track?

Another thing I forgot to say...

I love whenever I see these threads... when someone does really well on the DAT. Specially when they have taken it before and their score werent so great. This shows how much perseverence and dedication you have. Hopefully Ill score somewhere close to you and maygyver and the rest of you guys who have taken it recently and posted your results. Congratulation flybry and everyone else with your great DAT scores :)

Congrats... big improvement there. Im just curious... which DAT materials did you study the first time you took the test?

The first time, I used Barron's Guide to the DAT. In this case, you can judge a book but it's cover. It was small (not much info), and has quite a few errors. I only studied for about a month and a half, and didn't take any practice tests:eek: Thank you for the kind words!

Last edited:
Nice man. I'm jealous of that PAT. Looking good! congrats and enjoy resting now :)

Sidenote: is this title inspired by the Aesop Rock track?

Ha Ha! Actually, I love Sevendust, and they did a cover of the original song from Alice Cooper "School's Out" :horns:

Wow, great work, what was the best help with the Chem and O Chem sections? Been a while since I took the classes.

Chad's videos were my foundation, and Chem odyessy gave me the practice. Road maps were very helpful. Also I did some google searches on rxns and mechanisms. I was most afraid of seeing any type of retrosynthesis rxns, but it turned out to be my strongest area. I wish I had more on my test. Know your C, H NMR, lab techniques, different variations of stereochemistry, and Mechanisms (SN1, E1...) If you feel the need, you can make flashcards of your weakest subjects and review them on the go. Hope that helps...:)