No More USMLE Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sindee1984

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS1, starting school in about 2 weeks. I heard from the administration people at my school that USMLE Step 1 will be phased out pretty soon and my class might be the last one to take it. It might even disappear by the time my class takes it. I tried to search for information about this online, but couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard of this? Do you know more about this, like when exactly the test will end?

Members don't see this ad.

There is talk of combining Steps I and II into a single Pass/Fail test.

I haven't seen anything official, although people who have been to NBME meetings suggest that it's not an issue of if it will happen, but when.

It seems unlikely to me that it would happen in the next 2 years, but who knows.

I'm an MS1, starting school in about 2 weeks. I heard from the administration people at my school that USMLE Step 1 will be phased out pretty soon and my class might be the last one to take it. It might even disappear by the time my class takes it. I tried to search for information about this online, but couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard of this? Do you know more about this, like when exactly the test will end?

Either there is a "sledge hammer" replacing it or it is a cruel joke! :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted this in a thread in the Step 1 forum a while back. It is extremely unlikely that class of 2012 will be affected.

New June 10th 2008 information.

"The Composite Committee’s actions mark the beginning of a new phase, during which staff will create possible models for a potential redesign of the USMLE within the framework recommended by the CEUP. We emphasize that the process will be evolutionary, continually seeking feedback and building on the insights we gain from many stakeholders. We anticipate that the entire process will take a minimum of four years – and quite possibly longer before it will impact any test-takers. "

http://www.usmle.org/General_Information/review.html

OK, that's good to know, at least I've prepared myself psychologically to gun for step 1.

I don't get it though, if they combine step1 and 2 and make it pass/fail, how are residency directors going to decide who to interview/rank? Will the class rank/pubs become more important?

Posted this in a thread in the Step 1 forum a while back. It is extremely unlikely that class of 2012 will be affected.

New June 10th 2008 information.

"The Composite Committee’s actions mark the beginning of a new phase, during which staff will create possible models for a potential redesign of the USMLE within the framework recommended by the CEUP. We emphasize that the process will be evolutionary, continually seeking feedback and building on the insights we gain from many stakeholders. We anticipate that the entire process will take a minimum of four years – and quite possibly longer before it will impact any test-takers. "

http://www.usmle.org/General_Information/review.html

OK, that's good to know, at least I've prepared myself psychologically to gun for step 1.

I don't get it though, if they combine step1 and 2 and make it pass/fail, how are residency directors going to decide who to interview/rank? Will the class rank/pubs become more important?

Too many unknowns about the proposed changes to answer either of those questions with any certainty.

Here is the relevant thread in the Step 1 subforum with some good discussion. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=467963. Take away message: Don't worry about it right now.

Too many unknowns about the proposed changes to answer either of those questions with any certainty.

Here is the relevant thread in the Step 1 subforum with some good discussion. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=467963. Take away message: Don't worry about it right now.

Yeah, but what about all those 6th graders on SDN looking for a combined Jr. High/HS/BS/MD program???? Do they need to start pre-studying for Step I or not?????!!?!?? :rolleyes:

That would be crazy if they got rid of step I and II and made them pass/fail. I guess with nothing else to turn too our grades/research/evals/lors and so on would be much more important.

That would effectively nullify the test, though. In a way, it's already pass/fail, in the sense that a 180 is kind of a cutoff. Having a raw score only helps the situation - making the whole process more subjective adds yet more voodoo to the match process.

That would effectively nullify the test, though. In a way, it's already pass/fail, in the sense that a 180 is kind of a cutoff. Having a raw score only helps the situation - making the whole process more subjective adds yet more voodoo to the match process.

Well I guess it depends on how you look at it though. The MCAT in comparison has no "fail" point. The MCAT is kind of a market driven test you have to do "this well" depending on how well everyone else does. Whereas with the step as long as you pass it you can still become a physician. And if you do not pass it you can not, at least until you do. Of course most anyone vying for a competitive specialty will assumably "pass" the step and that kind of makes the pass/fail concept nullified and more akin to the MCAT.

Now it will make it purely pass/fail. I just wonder what the purpose of this is? Do they intend to make the process more ambiguous or do they want more "competitive" specialties to be available to those who maybe score less well on standardized tests? It is an interesting concept for sure.

Ok so thats it:
Dont worry about phantom exams..The steps will be in existence for at least 4 or 5 years..
There will always be something to worry about..eg if Russia and/or China ever (or even one) decide to gang up on us we would be in real trouble..

Last edited:
Ok so thats it:
Dont worry about phantom exams..The steps will be in existence at least for the next couple years..
There will always be something to worry about..:scared: :scared:

The one thing I can promise you is that Step I will be around long enough that most of the people who read SDN will have to deal with it. And once it's gone, the competitive residencies will still be just as competitive, which means that something else unsavory and standardized will have to be augmented to take the place of Step 1 in residency director decisions. So it's not going to get any better for anybody. Might mean huge weight put on shelf exams in various disciplines. Might mean a new test gets created for each specialty which will be at least as bad as the Step for the competitive paths. It's not going to mean folks are better off, so I probably wouldn't get too excited about this. The devil you know is generally preferable to the one you don't.

I remember a program director commenting on this ... that person said that if Step I/II were combined and made pass/fail there would likely be some kind of new national standard that would serve the purpose of what Step I does for residency competition today.

Just to continue the wild speculation, maybe there would be yet another test 3rd year that include more shelf / clinical stuff. Maybe it would take the pressure off Step I & II a bit and transfer it to this new, more comprehensive exam. Perhaps they could design it more specifically for what residency directors want ... provide a breakdown on scores in various sections so that various specialties could better assess aptitude in their knowledge areas. I'm not sure. Maybe individual specialties could devise their own standardized tests.

Like everyone has said, it shouldn't affect us.

Maybe individual specialties could devise their own standardized tests.

That would be my guess. Like it or not, the residency directors NEED a standardized test. They don't actually care what the test is, or even necessarily what it tests, but they need some way to distinguish one med student from another numerically. The Step was good for this because it was kind of a test on the first two years of med school, and it was standardized, so residency directors don't have to get involved with weighing whether a High Pass from one school is better than a High Pass at another. If this is gone, I'd suspect that the third year shelf exams would be the next most likely standardized tests to be brought into the mix -- perhaps an average of a couple of the bigger ones. But because the shelf exams are not as broad as the Step, ultimately I would think residency folks would want to make their own standardized tests. I don't see these options as being better for med students -- having different tests being uber important rather than the Step is hardly an improvement. So nobody should be too excited about this change.
A competitive residency will still be competitive, and what determines competitiveness will ultimately be a standardized test someplace along the line. So you are better off with the test for which there are already good board review texts and question banks.

I don't actually know about the "180 cutoff" per se, I just read it somewhere that had a standard curve. That test is still a long time away for me.

Do you suppose this would also put heavier weight on where people go to medical schools? I've read that some residency programs set aside a spot or two for matriculants from their affiliated med schools. Without a Step I score to help separate out the applicants, that might become more of a factor.

If Step I and II become pass fail, then there are a couple options.

A) The NBME shelf exams for third year become the de facto yardstick. The advantages are that they're multiple (so no "one and done" like Step 1) so you can improve and they're somewhat focused in areas you may be interested in so that may be appealing to residency directors (although someone applying for neurosurgery with, for example, a fantastic surgery shelf but a poor medicine shelf is going to raise eyebrows). Disadvantages are not all the schools use them currently, which would somewhat "force" all students to take them, perhaps paying out of pocket. Also, I think the NBME would not appreciate this and may do the same thing to shelfs that they did to Step 1 and get rid of "numerical" scores.

B) One or multiple "standardized" exams takes its place, either through the NBME or outside of it to be the objective grader. The advantage would be since it's BUILT to objectively quantify your performance, it'd probably have better discriminating power AND repeat validity than the current Step 1. The disadvantages to this model is clear: it's another test meaning more study time for students and more cash. Plus, it's material is likely to be redundant with Step 1. Plus, if multiple tests spring to fill it's place, it's inevitable that certain specialties will prefer certain tests, muddling the whole situation. For example, test A may be preferred by Medicine, Pediatrics, and Emergency medicine programs while test B is preferred by surgery, OB/GYN, and Radiology and Pschiatry has their own test they prefer on to themselves. And then you'll still end up with maverick program directors who go against hte grain and you'll have Pediatric residencies requesting version B...it'd be a huge headache.

Should the steps become pass/fail, Kaplan will offer a 'voluntary' exam covering the exact same material as the steps with a numerical score attached.

This won't change anything. Students will just be forced to take both exams, and Kaplan will make a tidy profit.

Stupid NBME. They made this mess, and they try to fix it by making it even worse.