No Organic 2 on DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would having finished Bio 1&2, Chem 1& 2, and Organic 1 be enuff to conquer the dAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on the curriculum of ochem in your school. For instance in mine, 2nd semester ochem involves learning most of the rections you'll see in ochem DAT. I only learned something like 4 rxns in my first semester. I'm currently taking 2nd semester and literally I've seen dozens and dozens. I also asked 2 ochem professors in my school about taking the DAT w/o second semester and they both said that it would be pretty hard scoring well since I hadn't learned many rxns. in my 1st semester.

I also attempted to study for the DAT early in my 2nd semester ochem and see if I could "teach" myself and I found this process very frustrating. So, I decided that I'll take the DAT soon after the completion of my 2nd organic semester.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot man. Take care.

pce,

bus

Members don't see this ad :)
Only 4 reactions first semester??? I took the DAT with only one semester of O-Chem and scored a 25 on that section. I thought my first semester prepared me very well, and I used the Kaplan book to supplement everything else. For the stuff that hadn't been covered, I basically just memorized reactants and products of reactions. The DAT doesn't require you to know how the reactions work, just what you start and end with. As the previous poster mentioned, maybe it depends on what you've learned so far.

I think it would take some time and dedication on your part, but it can be done. I put in a lot of time studying for the DAT, but it all worked out in the end.

Amen to what KDBuff just said. I took the DAT right after my first semester of OChem and scored a 25. In the first semester you will learn the basics of OChem, the second semester deals with tons of reactions you have to memorize. I just memorized a few reactions from the Kaplan book that related to OChem 2 and I was fine. Good luck..

Originally posted by busupshot83
Would having finished Bio 1&2, Chem 1& 2, and Organic 1 be enuff to conquer the dAT?

A similar question is also posted in the DAT forum. Check it out for more responses.

Thanks everyone.

KDBuff said:
Only 4 reactions first semester??? I took the DAT with only one semester of O-Chem and scored a 25 on that section. I thought my first semester prepared me very well, and I used the Kaplan book to supplement everything else. For the stuff that hadn't been covered, I basically just memorized reactants and products of reactions. The DAT doesn't require you to know how the reactions work, just what you start and end with. As the previous poster mentioned, maybe it depends on what you've learned so far.

I think it would take some time and dedication on your part, but it can be done. I put in a lot of time studying for the DAT, but it all worked out in the end.

I agree that usually the first semester stuff is all you need (depending on the school you go to). However I think the test does have some questions that test whether you know if a reaction is going to proceed in Markovnikov fashion or in anti-Markovnikov fashion and a few other mechanistic details. Overall it is a simple exam and I got the same score you did, but I think you need to know a few mechanistic details, analysis of stereochemistry, a few reaction exceptions etc. I wouldn't go in to take the test with just knowing starting and ending compounds.