no pay raise at veterians adminstration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toe jam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so today I found out that I will not be receiving a pay raise for my 2nd year as a resident. I work for the VA. they said something about all government residents are not getting an increase. It is even is my contract that I get paid more my second year and then more my 3rd year. We were supposed to get an increase in February of 2 percent ( national government increase) and that never happened either for residents. Any other people who work at the VA not getting there 2nd year raise/ or 3rd year raise. I would hate to continue to live on 32'000 a year for 3 years I have a wife and 4 children to supporrt and things are getting tight.....

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so today I found out that I will not be receiving a pay raise for my 2nd year as a resident. I work for the VA. they said something about all government residents are not getting an increase. It is even is my contract that I get paid more my second year and then more my 3rd year. We were supposed to get an increase in February of 2 percent ( national government increase) and that never happened either for residents. Any other people who work at the VA not getting there 2nd year raise/ or 3rd year raise. I would hate to continue to live on 32'000 a year for 3 years I have a wife and 4 children to supporrt and things are getting tight.....

From what I hear, not even the attendings will be getting a pay increase this year at the VA. Podiatry was left off of the pay increase policy that went into effect for MDs and DDSs. I also hear that the VA DPMs didn't push hard enough to be tacked on to this initiative.

Even if they were not signed initiative, why would that effect your pay raise for moving from a 1st to a 2nd year resident? It was in my contract that I signed stating that I would be paid x amount for the 1st year and x amount for the 2nd year and x amount for the 3 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear, not even the attendings will be getting a pay increase this year at the VA. Podiatry was left off of the pay increase policy that went into effect for MDs and DDSs. I also hear that the VA DPMs didn't push hard enough to be tacked on to this initiative.

These guys need to step it up a notch then. It's BS and their fault to be treated as 2nd class physicians. Hell, even the dentists got on the pay increase!

You gotta fight, for your right, for MONNNNNNNNNNNNN-AYYYYYYYY!

Corny I know, but, the pods should not just accept the situation. Make some waves, stir things up.

Last edited:
what is the average salary for non VA residence by year?