No replies back about Rec Letter - what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_rm_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Not sure what to do and was hoping someone had experienced something similar to this.

I joined a lab from the beginning of my freshman year in college and stayed with them till about the middle of the sophomore year (I'm heading in my junior year this fall). Throughout my time there, I didn't really do much aside from watching procedures and maybe doing practice runs with the few experiments they trusted me with. I was never on anyone's project and I never contributed to the lab directly, aside from cleaning, which they had all undergrads do. I was mentored by a graduate student that first year and she left, and then my PI handed me to another one. I would say my relationship with the first was better than mine with the second, but I never thought the second grad student disliked me or anything. I ended up leaving to join another lab around the time COVID happened and I hadn't contacted by current grad student until June, which is when I let her know I appreciated everything she had taught me and helped me with, but had switched to a new lab. I also asked her if she would be willing to write me a rec letter.

She usually responded pretty quickly to my texts and emails, but I haven't heard from her since at all. I first sent an email, followed by two texts a month later. I talked to another undergrad within the lab and he said he has been able to contact her. I don't want to keep pestering her, but I just want a response that she got my message about leaving so it doesn't look like I dropped the lab all of a sudden. What should I do to hear back from her? Is it worth it to even get a rec letter or is this probably a hint she doesn't want to write me one?

I thought about emailing the PI and letting him know, but he doesn't really know me as well since my main mentor was her. I don't want to escalate the situation either.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone. Not sure what to do and was hoping someone had experienced something similar to this.

I joined a lab from the beginning of my freshman year in college and stayed with them till about the middle of the sophomore year (I'm heading in my junior year this fall). Throughout my time there, I didn't really do much aside from watching procedures and maybe doing practice runs with the few experiments they trusted me with. I was never on anyone's project and I never contributed to the lab directly, aside from cleaning, which they had all undergrads do. I was mentored by a graduate student that first year and she left, and then my PI handed me to another one. I would say my relationship with the first was better than mine with the second, but I never thought the second grad student disliked me or anything. I ended up leaving to join another lab around the time COVID happened and I hadn't contacted by current grad student until June, which is when I let her know I appreciated everything she had taught me and helped me with, but had switched to a new lab. I also asked her if she would be willing to write me a rec letter.

She usually responded pretty quickly to my texts and emails, but I haven't heard from her since at all. I first sent an email, followed by two texts a month later. I talked to another undergrad within the lab and he said he has been able to contact her. I don't want to keep pestering her, but I just want a response that she got my message about leaving so it doesn't look like I dropped the lab all of a sudden. What should I do to hear back from her? Is it worth it to even get a rec letter or is this probably a hint she doesn't want to write me one?

I thought about emailing the PI and letting him know, but he doesn't really know me as well since my main mentor was her. I don't want to escalate the situation either.

I have a very similar situation with one of my letter writers. I still haven't heard back from this professor after almost half a year. (turns out she's on maternity leave) There are quite a bit of medical schools require 2 science LORs and she was one of the science professors I desperately need from. But what I did was to contact the admission offices of the schools I am applying to and to explain my situations, and ask them if I can use an alternative. Most of them are really okay with it especially given the COVID and this type of situation is expected.

The bottom line I guess is to reach out to the medical school admission offices that you are applying to and communicate with them about your situations.

Reactions: 1 user

So basically, you spent a year and a half in a lab, didn't really do much, have now left and are asking if you should follow up with a grad student you spent a semester cleaning up after who ignored your request for a LOR? You sent an e-mail and two texts. She either knows you left or doesn't care, but either way you are covered because you sent three messages.

As far as the LOR goes, forget it. Based on what you did in the lab and on how responsive she has been to date, it would suck if you ever actually received one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you had enough useful experience in that lab to expect a good LOR from it. Good LOR come from establishing good connections to the people with whom you are working. Be the person who asks questions, always offers to help, and is given increasing responsibility the longer you are there. A "shadowing" experience is not likely to be enough for a good LOR.

Reactions: 2 users
I would take the silence as she doesn't want to write it for you.

Letters of rec are not meant to just check a box in the application. Letters of rec should be written by someone because they are confident in your ability to succeed/perform... If you didn't do a whole lot for the lab besides clean, how would you have compelled them enough to write you a letter?

Not trying to be too blunt but find someone who you have truly made an impact on... You will only have to ask for the letter once. I know it sucks but generic letters written by people who are uninterested will not help you anyways.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think you had enough useful experience in that lab to expect a good LOR from it. Good LOR come from establishing good connections to the people with whom you are working. Be the person who asks questions, always offers to help, and is given increasing responsibility the longer you are there. A "shadowing" experience is not likely to be enough for a good LOR.

Yeah, completely agree. I do feel like I was enthusiastic and did ask questions, but doesn't really matter now. I guess all I'm concerned about now is how much of a red flag it is to have no rec letter from a lab I spent 1.5 years in?

Yeah, completely agree. I do feel like I was enthusiastic and did ask questions, but doesn't really matter now. I guess all I'm concerned about now is how much of a red flag it is to have no rec letter from a lab I spent 1.5 years in?
It doesn't matter. The lack of a LOR might raise some doubt. The letter would remove that doubt, and not in a way that would be favorable for you! :)

So basically, you spent a year and a half in a lab, didn't really do much, have now left and are asking if you should follow up with a grad student you spent a semester cleaning up after who ignored your request for a LOR? You sent an e-mail and two texts. She either knows you left or doesn't care, but either way you are covered because you sent three messages.

As far as the LOR goes, forget it. Based on what you did in the lab and on how responsive she has been to date, it would suck if you ever actually received one.

Yeah, I agree. There is also the first student that mentored me my freshman year but is now at a different school - would it be worth reaching out to her to see if she would write me one?

Yeah, I agree. There is also the first student that mentored me my freshman year but is now at a different school - would it be worth reaching out to her to see if she would write me one?
???? Again, to say what? You did a nice job observing? It just doesn't seem like you did enough in this lab to warrant the kind of letter that will help you, so I would just let it go. If anyone ever asks (I really don't think they will), just be honest and say that due to the limited role you were permitted to play in the lab, you didn't feel comfortable asking the PI for a LOR.

Reactions: 1 user