No research...DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orlandoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have zero research and got 4 acceptances so far... so no, you don't need it. Although, if you Get that experience, it will not hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't done any research during undergrad, but my other EC's (volunteering, student leadership, shadowing a DO) are very strong. Is research necessary for me at this point? I'm planning on applying this June.

If it is necessary, would it be sufficient if I said I plan to do research during the year I have in between now and medical school? (I'm currently a graduating senior).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.
How's your GPA and MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, not having research won't matter much, especially if you only apply D.O.
Focus more on a great MCAT to balance out the GPA

I didn't do any research in undergrad (honestly, I'd imagine many people who do research in undergrad prob spent hours in a lab cleaning vials). However, I had tons of clinical experience, leaderships, made MCAT my female dog and average GPA(double majored and too much partying).

The point is that don't limit your options just b/c you don't have research experience. Just prove to the admissions people you are well rounded and can handle academic work which entails good work ethics.

Reactions: 3 users
You're fine.

I haven't done any research during undergrad, but my other EC's (volunteering, student leadership, shadowing a DO) are very strong. Is research necessary for me at this point? I'm planning on applying this June.

If it is necessary, would it be sufficient if I said I plan to do research during the year I have in between now and medical school? (I'm currently a graduating senior).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

No.
There were no research opportunities available at my careerchanger postbacc so i couldnt even if i wanted to.