No Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody here successfully landed an ophthalmology residency w/o doing any research (or anything else extraordinary). The reason I ask is b/c I was supposed to do a chart review (thanks to HIPPA I need IRB certification and that requires a full-time faculty member to sign off on everything) but my mentor person is sort of flaking out on me. I'm wondering if I should continue pushing the issue w/ them (at the risk of pissing them off), or try and start a new project w/ somebody else, or forget about it and apply without any research. Since I'm just starting my MSIV year, it's a little late in the game to start another project, but I could try and just do something for the heck of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I haven't been around for a while, as i've been trying to tour the world before residency starts :)

Sledge, i can only speak from what i saw on the interview trail last year, but it seemed to me that about 1/2 of the applicants had research experience while the other half did not really have much research.

I guess research is just one way of showing your interest in the field, hence, if you can show a desire to enter ophtho via another route, then working on a project that will make your PI angry might not be worth it. Other routes include: away rotations, presentations (i.e.--at grand rounds and stuff), being involved at your home school (i.e.--going to conferences, teaching seminars, etc...), etc... Hope this helps some.

Light said:
Hey everyone! I haven't been around for a while, as i've been trying to tour the world before residency starts :)

Sledge, i can only speak from what i saw on the interview trail last year, but it seemed to me that about 1/2 of the applicants had research experience while the other half did not really have much research.

I guess research is just one way of showing your interest in the field, hence, if you can show a desire to enter ophtho via another route, then working on a project that will make your PI angry might not be worth it. Other routes include: away rotations, presentations (i.e.--at grand rounds and stuff), being involved at your home school (i.e.--going to conferences, teaching seminars, etc...), etc... Hope this helps some.

My experience is similar to the above too.