no residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackjack16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thining of attending Unversity of Sydney. My only conern is residency. According to the NRMP, chance of getting residency back in the U.S. is about 50%. I feel confident about getting residency back in the U.S., but you never what happens. Does anyone know about people that graduated from foreign medical schoo, but could not get residency in the U.S.? What happens next? I am worried about worst case scenario, which is having huge debt and no job. My other question was about residency in Australia. I saw post regarding international students doing residency in Australia. It said it is not that hard to obtain residency in Australia if you graduate from Australian medical school. My question is what are the options after residency in Australia? I heard it is very hard to get working visa in Australia after your residency.

Members don't see this ad.

U of Sydney is very well respected worldwide! They have 40,000 undergraduate students and have been around for over 100 years.

The only thing that might prevent you from getting a residency in the U.S. is poor performance on the USMLE.

Originally posted by Blackjack16
My other question was about residency in Australia. I saw post regarding international students doing residency in Australia. It said it is not that hard to obtain residency in Australia if you graduate from Australian medical school. My question is what are the options after residency in Australia? I heard it is very hard to get working visa in Australia after your residency.

- To get a 'residency' you will first need an internship. In all fairness your international status will be a bit of a hinderance in this area so you will have to look outside of Sydney and Melbourne to get some kind of internship...this is quite doable unless you restrict your options.

- You will have to apply for the 422 medical practioner visa before you graduate. This is only valid for 1-2 years.

- during this time you will have to complete an internship and get the hospital to sign you up for a 2 year RMO contract. If you can do this you can apply for a PR under this scheme..it's much easier to get especially if you are in an area designated as in "need"...(note this doesn't mean rural...there are plenty of cities that are in this category).

*note this 2 year contract IS NOT a requirement to do a residency if you have a PR and you are competitive enough to get into certain programs you can do some without the 2 years spent as an RMO...in fact the only obligations are usually a 6 month ICU term.

- you can apply for a PR through other ways as well including a previous degree etc.

- only when you have the PR can you do residency (at least right now).

- residency here is much longer and involves writing some tests depending on which program you apply for...

- again remember like all countries certain programs are competitive while others are not..there is no guarantee you will "match" here either. Especially since this system is not based on standardised test scores..more on interview and references...oh and mentor assessment sheets.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for different info. I feel much more confident about going to U. Syd.

Blackjack, here's the deal with the 50%.......

The real number is much higher. There are several reasons for that.

IMGs can pre-match. After this they can either drop out of the match or they can rank 0 programs. This makes them appear unmatched.

Tons of IMGs post-match, too. I know that doesn't count as mathcing but bear this fact in mind.

Finally, some IMGs find their PGY1 spot in a specialty that isn't really their top choice, like IM or FP (I have nothing against FP; I'm going there myself but that's how it is). They then try to match again the following year, only this time they're way pickier.

I forget how I calculated this, but in the entire 2003 match/post-match, I think something like 80% of all IMGs found a spot.

I have another questin related to residency in the U.S. One of my advisor at school told me that even if you attend medical school outside of the U.S, you will eventually get reisendcy spot if you are U.S. citizen. Is this true? I thought if you are IMG, it does not matter if you are U.S. citizen or non-citizen.

Originally posted by Blackjack16
I have another questin related to residency in the U.S. One of my advisor at school told me that even if you attend medical school outside of the U.S, you will eventually get reisendcy spot if you are U.S. citizen. Is this true? I thought if you are IMG, it does not matter if you are U.S. citizen or non-citizen.

It doesn't really except that you don't need to be sponsored by the program you are entering. This may make you more appealing to some programs but most won't care. If you are a US-IMG, you are not guaranteed a spot as your advisor suggested.

An an FMG you definitely have fewer options, many programs will not consider J1 and H1b sponsorships. The non-academic programs in non-competitive specialities are usually where FMG's have best success.

Originally posted by flindophile

In general, USIMGs do not have difficulty getting a residency. USIMGs have difficulty getting competitive residencies but you can be assured that, at a minimum, you can obtain a residency in primary care.
is this the truth? i had no idea :rolleyes:

Flindophile, is true that USIMGs are assured that, at a minimum, they can obtain a residency in primary care? Where did you get this information?