Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

No Work Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by kordjames, Dec 16, 2008.

1. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I want to apply to Pharmacy school in one or two years and I have no experience working or volunteering. Is there phramacy related jobs or volunteering jobs that I can work for with no experience? What are some ways I can gain Pharmacy experience?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Apply for pharmacy technician positions at CVS, Walgreens, etc. Say that you want to go to pharmacy school, that's pretty much a guarantee to get you a job, depending on where you live.

4. ILoveOrange

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Very true. I did this at CVS and they gave me a job without any pharmacy tech experience.

5. jmoini

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    if you for some reason can't get a pharm tech job, i'm sure you can volunteer somewhere. someone somewhere will always take free labor :rolleyes:

6. almondtea

almondtea Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I think it's easier to volunteer at the independent pharmacies. You should consider looking into those because the atmosphere is much smaller and personable.

7. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    what are examples of independent pharmacies that I can look for?

8. roytse

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    they are independent, so they are small and not in chains,
    you had to find it yourself or ask somebody who knows about health care career in your area...

9. almondtea

almondtea Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Basically any pharmacy that's not a CVS/Wal-greens, Rite-aid monster chain. haha. I found out about mine through a friend. But I got the feeling that I could have just walked in and asked the pharmacist without connections, and he would have let me shadow anyway. So yeah, just call a small pharmacy nearby and ask if they're willing to let you shadow/volunteer and tell them you're interested in becoming a pharmacist. Good luck!

10. PrepharmKID

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    If they're independent, it's a good chance they only have one location. If that's the case, you'd have to be local to know. Maybe list your area and someone might be able to tell you.

11. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar
    Physician Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    All the independents in my area were brought out by rite-aid... damn those corporate beast.

12. pcproduct

10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    To OP:
    Go to Google Maps and type in "XXXXX pharmacy -cvs -rite aid -kroger -publix -wal-mart". Replace XXXXX with your zip code. You should then get a list and directions to independent pharmacies close to where you live.

Would I have to talk to the pharmacy manager? And is a resume needed? I'm one of those without work experience. I applied to 15+ pharmacies last summer and didn't get a call back from anyone.

13. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun

Pharmacist
    For example, CVS. You go to that little kiosk and submit your application there. Then go talk to the pharmacy manager so that they get a face to go along with the name.

If the pharmacy manager needs help, they'll notify the district trainer who gets all the information about applicants. The district trainer will call you up, ask for an interview, and start training you at the next possible date.

How fast you get the job depends on where you live.

I live in a town outside of NYC with A LOT of senior citizens and a lot of pharmacies. I was working at Radioshack at the time, I just walked into CVS during my lunch break and applied.

I get a call 3 days later from the district trainer, and I start working at the store 2 weeks after that.

14. PrepharmKID

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Might not be a bad idea to take in your resume with a letter of recommendation. Possibly a career plan write up or something. Golden rule i live by, "if you dont ask, you dont get". If you look motivated, people are generally willing to give you a chance.

damn rite-aid..

15. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    If I have no experience as a pharm tech, will they give me the training necessary to start?

Also, what are my chances of getting a pharm tech job if I submitted most of my applications online and said no work experience?

16. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun

Pharmacist
    Yeah, they will train you. There is no point in paying money for pharmacy technician and PTCE programs.

17. Transformer

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist

It depends on what pharmacy setting you want to get into.

Retail pharmacies will train you and there is no need to pay for tech school training. pass the PTCE and register as a pharmacy tech. with your state board of pharmacy.

If you want to be a pharmacy IV tech, I'm sure most hopsital pharmacies want you to have experience working with IVs or some sort of tech school training.

18. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I tried sending applications to retail pharmacies but none have contacted me so far. What are the chances I will contacted for a job as a technician or assistant with no work experience.

Also, do retail pharmacies (like cvs, rite aid, walgreens) allow volunteers?

19. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

I typed in XXXXX and got some websites to naked girls:eek:

20. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    :laugh:

21. coldkatanagirl

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm under the impression that it's far easier to be able to volunteer at a hospital rather than at a retail pharmacy.

22. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    What are the chances I will get a job as a technician at a retail if I don't have experience or don't know anyone working at one?

If I volunteer at a hospital pharm., would I eventually be able to get a paid job as a tech. there?

23. Mister2

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi guys. I want to ask a question about getting some work experience for when I apply to a Pharmacy school. I am still in my first year of JC doing some pre-reqs and working on transferring to CSUF to get my BS in Biology. Now onto my real question. When should I start applying to places like Walgreens and Rite-Aid to become a Pharm Tech or at least get some experience? Is it too soon for me? I'm sorry if this isn't in the right thread, the questions in this thread were somewhat related.

24. inquirer89

5+ Year Member

Apply whenever you want, assuming that you're 18 or above. The sooner the better. You want as much experience as you can get before applying to pharmacy schools (for example, I started volunteering in high school) so you can put it on the applications.

25. Mister2

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for answering my question, I guess I'll start applying as soon as possible. If that doesn't work then I'll volunteer at some independent pharmacies or maybe a hospital.

26. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    So if I get accepted for a job as a Pharm. tech or assistant, how long will it be until I can work if I don't have a License?

27. TTUMike

TTUMike Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You can work immediately. You don't need to be certified to work in the pharmacy but you are limited to what and where you can go in the pharmacy. Check with your state laws to find out what you would be limited to. Most technicians will learn everything and be considered a technician in training. You might be stuck with cashiering until you pass the pharmacy exam.

28. aquaregia

aquaregia Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I didn't have experience at first. I tried asking CVS if they would take volunteers, but they said no. The RX manager seemed open to hiring me, but the store manager kept claiming that they didn't have any paper job applications despite repeated visits (at the time, they were not online).

I ended up volunteering at a hospital. From my experience, it has been much easier for me to volunteer at hospitals (I volunteered at three different ones). They usually have coordinated programs and formal training. At all three hospitals, long-term (as in 2-3 yrs.) volunteers were hired on as techs. Volunteering allows you to meet pharmacists and network, but the work itself is limited in scope due to pharmacy law.

I strongly recommend getting any volunteer/work experience. It is helpful for the application, helpful for reaffirming the career decision, and a near must-have for getting an internship (if your state requires intern hours) if you are in a tight job-market. My school is located in a tight job market, so those without experience ended up struggling to find internships or getting jobs that involved long commutes.

29. james07

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    quick question, is shadowing and volunteering the same thing? because I don't have any pharmacy experience and I was hoping to volunteer or shadow at my local wallgreens or CVS.

30. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Volunteering means you are actually doing work. Helping out with expiration date checking, etc. Shadowing is simply following around a tech/pharmacist, observing what they do.

31. Kruton

Kruton Professionally Rad
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think it is against their corporate policy at those big retail chains or something.

32. trailrider400

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    From what I've seen you can only shadow or volunteer at a hospital. I'm sure like the OP said its against corporate policy. Not to mention you can't really volunteer for a retail pharmacy because its not a non profit.

33. nateandjenny

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I live in Oklahoma, Knew a few people that shadowed at Wallgreens. They said it was pointless.

Look in the paper. There are always jobs in pharmacy in our Sunday paper.

I think here you only have to work in a pharmacy for three months before you can take your tech test (which is super easy).

Do you have an idea of where you want to work after you graduate? If you think you want to work in retail try to get a job in retail... etc. You never know if you will like until you try it. I have worked in a pharmacy for 4 years. It made me change my major : o )

#32 nateandjenny, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  34. thanawalt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Personally I would get the experience as soon as possible...you may not like it and will save your worries for something else.

I wish I did the same thing :(

35. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I've applied to many pharmacies around my area but none have given me any feedback. Would getting a PTCB improve my chances? Are hospitals the easiest place to get a volunteer job as a Pharm. tech/assistant?

36. sakigt

sakigt Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Do ANYTHING healthcare related where you abide by HIPAA and interact with patients. Certainly better than nothing!

37. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was told by a hiring manager at a hospital pharmacy that with no work experience or volunteering experience, I would have a very slim chance to get a pharmacy job like a tech or cashier.

So now should I focus on getting a volunteering position at a pharmacy to put down as experience to eventually get a job in the area?

Also, if the pharmacies already have enough volunteer help? What other volunteer positions or options do I have that can help me add experience to get a simple pharmacy job?

38. luckyphooey

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Walk to your closest hospital and go to their volunteering office and ask them if you can volunteer in the pharmacy. The one by my school: you can walk in, apply, get interviewed and then you are off to volunteer the next week, it was really simple.

39. Chromatography

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    so with only volunteering experience in pharmacy is okay? I do not have any pharmacy work experience or any kind of research experience but I am currently volunteering in a hospital pharmacy.

40. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    If there aren't any volunteering positions available should I just volunteer as another position at the hospital while trying to get a position as a pharm volunteer?

Also, would it be good for me to get a PTCB to increase my chance to get a job as a pharm. tech? Do they offer prep courses in most cities?

41. DayTTU17

DayTTU17 P4 Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    go talk to the pharmacy manager and store manager......btw i have heard in the near future walgreens will begin laying off techs in my area...they are already cutting our hours and turning some 24hr stores to normal hours while cuttin pharmacists

42. kordjames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Isn't pharmacy jobs growing faster than the average job like most career sites say?

43. JAT

JAT
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Are volunteering hours flexible? If I wanted to volunteer for Pharm at a hospital, could I say I wanted to come in only on Sundays or something?

44. JAT

JAT
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    bump

45. OperatingThetan

Removed

Pre-Pharmacy
    Try volunteering somewhere totally unrelated to pharmacy. ADCOMS are overwhelmed by medical volunteers - hospital pharmacy, first aid squad, etc.

Stand out from the crowd by volunteering at a soup kitchen, state park, or fire station. Don't try to fit into a cookie cutter mold.