Nobody wants a fat doctor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On a lighter note,

I am mentally 're-inventing' myself for med school, so I thought, "Why not get in shape too?"

I am taking the opportunity to physically re-invent myself as well: I began working out officially 6 weeks ago. It is now only 4 months till the beginning of my med school!

This app cycle has been pretty brutal on my health...but it is time to pay the piper!

So far, I have lost 12 pounds, and have changed my % body fat from 35% to 25%. My goal is another 20 pounds and to be at 15% before July 1st.

Anybody else trying to get into shape (other than 'round' :laugh:) before the start of class?

Members don't see this ad.

This app cycle has been pretty brutal on my health...but it is time to pay the piper!

So far, I have lost 12 pounds, and have changed my % body fat from 35% to 25%. My goal is another 20 pounds and to be at 15% before July 1st.

Jesus christ. Do you have any stretch marks?

I knew this fat Asian kid in school, and he was the biggest tool gunner we knew. I mean this kid would go out of his way to give us incorrect answers to try to screw us over, and he always thought of me as his "prime" competition. I remember this one time he told a girl that there was no quiz, and there was this one time he was the only one who had this really difficult homework question correct, and when we looked at it, he was like, "yeah, i'm not sure on my answer (he went to the professor to get it)" and he literally took our papers that were on the desk, scribbled out the answers that we got from him, and said that he "wasn't sure on the answer and was looking out for us."

In any case, the already fat kid gained literally about 150 pounds from freshmen year to senior year because he just studied all the time and did nothing else but eat cookies and milkshakes from the coffee shop (he lived at the library). He looks like a panda bear, which is really funny.

At the end, he got into medical school, but at the cost of his health. I don't see him living past the age of 40, and besides pandas live for like 30-40 years tops anyways.

This is how he looks like:
phot_PhatAsianKid.gif

fatasiankid3.jpg

fatasiankid12.jpg

fatasiankid9.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On a lighter note,

I am mentally 're-inventing' myself for med school, so I thought, "Why not get in shape too?"

I am taking the opportunity to physically re-invent myself as well: I began working out officially 6 weeks ago. It is now only 4 months till the beginning of my med school!

Anybody else trying to get into shape (other than 'round' :laugh:) before the start of class?
congrats! that's outstanding. defintely do it now b/c it's harder once school starts. all the trash eating, study munchies, guilt from taking time off to exercise.....it'll all catch up with you. but you gotta do some exercise during school to burn off stress and a chance to walk away for a bit. I liked using p90x....it's 1-1.5 hrs of hard kick ass high intensity movements. doesn't require a gym, all indoors, and relatively cheap. plus it works! enjoy your time off, good luck in school:thumbup:

Thanks! Up until recently I worked about 45 or 50 hours per week, plus I do normal daddy duties with a wife who works about 60 hr/wk.

Yeah, I lost more than 40 pounds last year in prep for med school. The weight creeped up over years of sitting in a car and at a desk.

I plan on joining/organize a running group at Cleveland Clinic when I get there. I hear there is some interest, but that they haven't had one for a few years. The cool thing about my med school is 1) there are only 32 students and 2) we all have to be there at the same time. Which, of course, is conducive to a small group running before/to class.

I'll look into p90x. Right now, I do upper-body workouts on an inclined treadmill with weights. Sounds easy, but it really burns calories...I can burn 1000 - 1200/hr this way consistently keeping my heart at the Aerobic Threshold.

It's kinda cool too, because I have pretty high confidence in my calorie values since I forked out some $$$ last summer in a heart rate monitor and to complete a Maximal Aerobic Power test and Resting Metabolic Rate test.

Like you said, the exercise is the easy part...it's the food that gets me.

It'll be OK...since I will be on the poor-student-financial-diet pretty soon...no more extravagant meals for me! I'll be eating stuff that students eat...you know...stuff that's cheaper than food! :laugh:

Thanks! Up until recently I worked about 45 or 50 hours per week, plus I do normal daddy duties with a wife who works about 60 hr/wk.

Yeah, I lost more than 40 pounds last year in prep for med school. The weight creeped up over years of sitting in a car and at a desk.

I plan on joining/organize a running group at Cleveland Clinic when I get there. I hear there is some interest, but that they haven't had one for a few years. The cool thing about my med school is 1) there are only 32 students and 2) we all have to be there at the same time. Which, of course, is conducive to a small group running before/to class.

I'll look into p90x. Right now, I do upper-body workouts on an inclined treadmill with weights. Sounds easy, but it really burns calories...I can burn 1000 - 1200/hr this way consistently keeping my heart at the Aerobic Threshold.

It's kinda cool too, because I have pretty high confidence in my calorie values since I forked out some $$$ last summer in a heart rate monitor and to complete a Maximal Aerobic Power test and Resting Metabolic Rate test.

Like you said, the exercise is the easy part...it's the food that gets me.

It'll be OK...since I will be on the poor-student-financial-diet pretty soon...no more extravagant meals for me! I'll be eating stuff that students eat...you know...stuff that's cheaper than food! :laugh:

Read marksdailyapple.com what gets you fat is the carbs. Cuts the processed carbs, and stick with veggies and fruits for the day for your source of carbs.

The rest of your caloric intake should be from fats and proteins.

And look into interval training, it's 10x more effective and fat burning than regular aerobic 50 minute runs.

Interval training is brutal!! But he's right it burns a lot more calories in a much smaller time period. I interval train three days a week and do weights on the other four days. I spend about an hour in the gym every day and if you work out hard it wears you out enough where you don't want to do anything but sit down and watch tv...or study :D

What?!!! I didn't think that asians got fat! (Just a joke, I'm also Asian)

Its interesting since some people have told me that they don't see many obese asians. Your friend would probably be evidence to the contrary.

A gunner in college? College isn't that hard or time-consuming! (in general)

I knew this fat Asian kid in school, and he was the biggest tool gunner we knew. I mean this kid would go out of his way to give us incorrect answers to try to screw us over, and he always thought of me as his "prime" competition. I remember this one time he told a girl that there was no quiz, and there was this one time he was the only one who had this really difficult homework question correct, and when we looked at it, he was like, "yeah, i'm not sure on my answer (he went to the professor to get it)" and he literally took our papers that were on the desk, scribbled out the answers that we got from him, and said that he "wasn't sure on the answer and was looking out for us."

In any case, the already fat kid gained literally about 150 pounds from freshmen year to senior year because he just studied all the time and did nothing else but eat cookies and milkshakes from the coffee shop (he lived at the library). He looks like a panda bear, which is really funny.

At the end, he got into medical school, but at the cost of his health. I don't see him living past the age of 40, and besides pandas live for like 30-40 years tops anyways.

This is how he looks like:
phot_PhatAsianKid.gif

fatasiankid3.jpg

fatasiankid12.jpg

fatasiankid9.jpg

Losing weight is awesome, but KEEPING it off is the actual problem people run into.

Of the people who manage to keep their weight off for at least one year, these habits are shown to be common:

1. They eat breakfast every day
2. They eat all kinds of food, but control the PORTIONS
3. Their exercise of choice is walking, not intense cardio
4. They lost weight slower, over a long timeframe

Just something to think about. You don't want to lose a ton and gain it all back :thumbup:

5. Or they smoke, either cigarettes or methamphetamines. I mean if being fat is your only concern, then that's always an option...

Seriously though, congratulations on your successes! There's nothing like a major change in one area of your life to inspire changes in others. Personally, I plan on putting down the cancer-sticks next week, but then, that's not the first time I've written that...

I knew this fat Asian kid in school, and he was the biggest tool gunner we knew. I mean this kid would go out of his way to give us incorrect answers to try to screw us over...

What a douchebag. Your description of him alone is enraging and makes me want to meet this guy just so I can kick him in the nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.