Wanting to re-apply, currently working at Mayo Clinic. Worth it/advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tico1109

Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to gather some advice if it was reasonable to apply to medical schools this cycle, and thank you in advance to those who take the time to read and respond.

To provide some context, I applied previously in 2021 but unfortunately did not get into any schools. I believe my GPA may have been the limiting factor in my application.

Previous Stats
I had a 2.85 BCPM GPA and a 3.52 AO GPA, with 3.13 Overall GPA.
My most recent MCAT score was a 514 which was taken back in 2021.

Since then, I've been active in research, transitioning from bench to clinical when the pandemic situation loosened up in late 2021/early 2022. I was a Clinical Research Coordinator for my alma mater at a large Midwest University. During this time, I got my Master's in Clinical Research which I received a 4.0 GPA and also got the SoCRA CCRP certification which is preferred in my field. I had the opportunity to work on several significant studies, including industry and multi-center trials, even participating in an international study as the lead site.

Through networking, I was lucky enough to secure a position as a Senior CRC at Mayo Clinic. Currently, I oversee auditing and helping new clinical research team members, to ensure compliance and quality in our research practices, as well as having a few industry trials I manage independently. It's a very different culture here (for the better), and the way patients were treated here reignited my interest in a career in medicine.
Given that this is my last eligible year to utilize my MCAT score, I'm contemplating applying to medical school again. However, I want to be realistic about my chances and avoid unnecessary financial burdens as well as the immense amount of time needed to polish my application.

Do I have a reasonable shot at getting in with my current experiences? And if so, what schools would you recommend? I was thinking about applying to schools from my home state where I grew up and attended, as well as near Rochester, MN, where I am at (but only have been here for about a year). I understand that MD schools do not really care for Master's unless they are SMPs but I am also open to DO schools. I have a strong background in writing, and my PI's, other MD's I work with, and some of my Master's faculty were willing to write strong letters so I am not too worried there. I am concerned of getting screened out from my undergraduate GPA before they look at the letters or experiences.

Initially, I envisioned a career focused in the field of research. However, being at Mayo Clinic made me reconsider my possibilities, especially regarding medical shcool.
I would greatly appreciate any realistic advice or insights, even if they point towards potential rejection.

-Tico

Members don't see this ad.

When are you planning to retake the MCAT ?
I am not currently planning to retake the MCAT, I was planning to use my 514 from 2021, as I am still in the 3-year window. If I have to retake the MCAT, I'd really have to reconsider applying this year. I figured I would still be eligible, and this is what I found (taken from OSU website):

MCAT scores and grades are carefully considered and are an important part of the application process. Scores will be accepted from tests three years prior to application. (Example: If you apply in 2020 for enrollment in 2021, scores will be accepted from tests taken January 2017 through September 2020.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not currently planning to retake the MCAT, I was planning to use my 514 from 2021, as I am still in the 3-year window. If I have to retake the MCAT, I'd really have to reconsider applying this year. I figured I would still be eligible, and this is what I found (taken from OSU website):

MCAT scores and grades are carefully considered and are an important part of the application process. Scores will be accepted from tests three years prior to application. (Example: If you apply in 2020 for enrollment in 2021, scores will be accepted from tests taken January 2017 through September 2020.)
Your MCAT may have expired for some schools so check with each school. Where is your state of residence ?

Your MCAT may have expired for some schools so check with each school. Where is your state of residence ?
I am from OH but now I reside in MN. Specifically, I am interested in University of Minnesota and my MCAT would be eligible for their application.

I am from OH but now I reside in MN. Specifically, I am interested in University of Minnesota and my MCAT would be eligible for their application.
You could try Minnesota but also apply to Toledo, Wright State and NEOMED. You could receive interviews at DO schools and I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT (both schools)
WCU-COM
BCOM (both schools)
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
BUCOM
OCOM
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
DUQCOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
ICOM

You could try Minnesota but also apply to Toledo, Wright State and NEOMED. You could receive interviews at DO schools and I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT (both schools)
WCU-COM
BCOM (both schools)
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
BUCOM
OCOM
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
DUQCOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
ICOM
Perfect. Thank you for providing me with that list. It'll be a good starting point to narrow my list of schools. Do you think it is worth it? Or am I being too hopeful for this cycle? I do like my current job and I don't mind it, so at least I have a backup if I can't get in.

Perfect. Thank you for providing me with that list. It'll be a good starting point to narrow my list of schools. Do you think it is worth it? Or am I being too hopeful for this cycle? I do like my current job and I don't mind it, so at least I have a backup if I can't get in.
A 514 MCAT should attract attention at some DO schools.

You need to get your gpa above a 3.0 and then I’m sure some DO schools would be an option. Working at Mayo Clinic is not going to do anything in terms of making up for gpa or mcat, unfortunately.