Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

noise cancellation

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by rhettoric, Apr 8, 2007.

1. rhettoric

rhettoric 2+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2006
    So, according to the mcat prep doc, noise cancellation headphones will be made available to test takers. Did any of you April 7th takers use them? How were they?

I've taken up the habit of wearing earplugs on all my exams. They really help cut down on the distractions. Apparently I could have a radio transmitter or some crap though so I can't wear them on the mcat.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. caliboy007

caliboy007 Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2006
    The ones at my center were orange and actually worked pretty damn well. That was something I was very pleased wtith... it's strange though because it makes it sound like you are in a vacuum. They are full size headsets, not earplugs.

4. theoffice20

theoffice20

Apr 4, 2007
    Yea i thought they worked well since i didn't even hear people coming in and getting seated after me. It did feel a little weird though like you are in vacuum.

5. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I had the orange ones also. They worked well, but I found them too freakin' annoying because they felt like they were sucking my eardrums outward:( .

Good thing I practiced a bunch of times at the Kaplan center... I got used to tuning out unexpected distractions, so I felt better off without them.

6. Vanguard23

Vanguard23 5+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I went to WalMart and bought a set of headphones at the sporting goods section(I think these are for rifle practice) to not only actually block out sound during my FL's, but to simulate the testing experience more.

7. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2002
    did u also buy one of those t-shirts that says "I'm a big dork" in the clothing section?:smuggrin:

8. DrGoofy

DrGoofy 2+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2006
    new york
    i had the orange ones as well... worked pretty well i thought... just felt weird, just like others have said.

also, the proctors at my test center told me that we were allowed to bring our own ear plugs if we wanted... not sure if that is true for all the other test sites.