Non-American FMGs should be discouraged to practice in the USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well to the hospital, they may be a net plus. But Medicare still pays between $300,000 to $500,000+ training you.

Members don't see this ad.

Well to the hospital, they may be a net plus. But Medicare still pays between $300,000 to $500,000+ training you.

I actually read that it would cost $10B for $15,000 residents - this is $66K/year per resident.

Where are you getting your numbers? Citations needed please.

I actually read that it would cost $10B for $15,000 residents - this is $66K/year per resident.

Where are you getting your numbers? Citations needed please.

I've heard an average of $110,000 that medicare pays per resident per year (three year minimum residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen this with my own eyes. I've seen Americans study in expensive schools in scenic Indian beach resorts frequented by tourists. They are not doing badly at all when they came back to the USA. I know 2 people like this, and they both went to the same school in India. They are both internal medicine doctors. Of course they passed the USMLE, since this is the easy part.

Since an "American MD school reject" can pass the USMLE, then the rate-determining step is getting accepted to American based med schools.

However, I've seen cases of BAD foreign medical doctors (and I've also seen BAD American born/educated docs as well). I am advocating that we simply raise the number of docs and residency slots in this country.
The rate determining step is the last one: Getting a residency spot.

Those who think that residents cost hospitals money are idiots. Pure idiots. It's amazing that any of these idiots managed to make it through medical school if they could not deduce a simple logical comparison.

Residents do medical work that needs to be done, and work for slave wages. 50k/yr or thereabouts

NPs, PAs etc do medical work that needs to be done, but work for a fair salary, and demand fair hours and extra pay for longer hours. 100k/yr or thereabouts

Attending physicians do medical work that needs to be done, but work for a very high but fair salary. 300k/yr or thereabouts

Hospitals save lots of money with residents.

Those who think that residents cost hospitals money are idiots. Pure idiots. It's amazing that any of these idiots managed to make it through medical school if they could not deduce a simple logical comparison.

Residents do medical work that needs to be done, and work for slave wages. 50k/yr or thereabouts

NPs, PAs etc do medical work that needs to be done, but work for a fair salary, and demand fair hours and extra pay for longer hours. 100k/yr or thereabouts

Attending physicians do medical work that needs to be done, but work for a very high but fair salary. 300k/yr or thereabouts

Hospitals save lots of money with residents.

Sigh...

At my medical school and residency, a standard IM floor team consisted of 2 seniors, 2 interns, and an attending. Our daily census hovered around 20 patients. Our one attending could easily do that on his own (heck, many hospitalists do more). So, a patient load that can pay for one hospitalist now has to pay for 4 residents and an attending. The same sort of picture is present in outpatient clinics as well.

Surgeons have it worse since, as I recall, an attending must be physically present in each OR during the majority of the case. Residents almost always take much longer on cases. You're cutting down the number of cases and having to pay extra salaries.

I don't know where you're working, but internists, pediatricians, ID and endocrine don't make 300k. Heck, loads of general surgeons don't make that anymore.