Non APA/APPIC Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinpsy18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.!I will be applying for internship in the coming year and I was wondering what you thoughts on finding something outside the match. Specifically, I am curious about the ramifications in terms of state licensing. Are there states that would not license me? If so, which are they? (I want to make sure I don't close any doors at this point.) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The APPIC Match website FAQ has a lot of information about this; see Item 17 of the FAQ.

There is also useful information at http://www.asppb.org/..but you should always look also at specific state's licensing board sites. Previously Oklahoma and Mississippi required an APA internship but the last I reviewed the requirements that was not longer true

The steps to licensure in some states can require more paperwork and documentation if you do an APPIC non APA internship but all states now accept the APPIC standard.

The VA system require APA for clinical psychology positions.

Non-APPIC approved. sites get dicier in "equivalency", so definitely do your homework. There are some places (California in particular) that are doing state-level acred., which may or may not meet equivalency in every state.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It makes life much easier to get an APA accredited internship. Some people will tell you it doesn't matter but there are a number of jobs that require it, as well as post docs. Just take a look at post doc positions and job websites and that will give you a good sense of the importance. Why make your life harder unnecessarily?

Competition for jobs is getting higher and higher, and the fewer roadblocks you put in your way the better. Many students are opting to stay in school longer (1 or more years) to be more competitive. I know the improvements I made from year 4 to year 5 made a BIG difference in my competitiveness for internship. Based on the feedback I've heard about internship since then, the competition has only increased.

Even if you think you aren't going to work for the gov't now, that doesn't mean you want to close off that door. I have seen estimates of between 15-30% of all psychology jobs are with gov't and quasi-gov't organizations. Academia aprobably makes up another 10%-20%, and they will surely require an APA-acred. internship site.