Non-Citizen for Medical School

Started by honsano
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

honsano

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am putting up this post for my friend. He isn't from the states, he's from Cyprus, but was thinking about attending medical school. He isn't an american citizen, he's here on an F1 Visa (just for school). How difficult would it be for him to get into an MSTP or MD/PHD program? I am not sure what to tell him. From what I've read on the other threads, it is very difficult to get into medical school if you are not a citizen let alone one of the other specialized programs. Would it be possible, but that he'd just have to score 35+ on the MCAT to even be considered? Thanks for your input.

PS ~ His GPA is rather stellar at approximately 3.93 with a 4.00 science GPA.
 
honsano said:
I am putting up this post for my friend. He isn't from the states, he's from Cyprus, but was thinking about attending medical school. He isn't an american citizen, he's here on an F1 Visa (just for school). How difficult would it be for him to get into an MSTP or MD/PHD program? I am not sure what to tell him. From what I've read on the other threads, it is very difficult to get into medical school if you are not a citizen let alone one of the other specialized programs. Would it be possible, but that he'd just have to score 35+ on the MCAT to even be considered? Thanks for your input.

PS ~ His GPA is rather stellar at approximately 3.93 with a 4.00 science GPA.

The possibility of gettinginto an MSTP would be virtually ZERO, because you have to be either a US citizen or a permanent resident to get into it (it is a federally funded program and they want to make sure that you will be staying here to contribute to the science after they shell out all that money for you). For the MD/PhD program I think some schools do accept non-citizens. Your friend would have to look at schools case by case. I think most schools require at least one year of coursework in the US before they would even consider you (I think Columbia comes to mind and probably many others). So his best chances would be either straight MD programs at non-state schools or non-MSTP funded MD/PhD programs. As far as the specifics of which schools, some one else might be able to help you with that.
 
check out "International Student" directory at www.intransit.us
it lists mstp and mdphd schools that has previously accepted international students. I did my own research on this and found out that UCSF will have a wiggle room to accept an international student into thier mstp program (directly recieved an email from mstp director at UCSF)-I didn't get an interview there so it's too bad for me, but the option is open. Hope this helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the replies yall. He does go to school here in the states, so the coursework thing shouldn't be an issue. What about scores though? For places he would have a chance at, would that mean he'd have to have stellar all around scores (MCAT) as well? I mean, higher than what most students may normally need or will he be treated as another case?
 
Definitely check out the MSTP website listed above. Note that the suggestion to apply only to non-MSTP schools, is very much wrong. From my experience (F1 student at Vandy~MSTP school), as well as from friends I have at other schools, it seems to me that the better the program is, the more non-federal funds they have in their portfolio. End result: the better the school is, the less they care if you are a US citizen or not (a little counterintuitive, but absolutely true). Also, the better the school is, (with very few Ivy exceptions, the more they care about purely research and achievement, and less about "we have to have Americans" crap. Note, however, that being an outstanding candidate is a must since standards will be a bit higher for your friend, than for a Cit/Perm res. Also, a lot of schools quasi-pool their federal and local funds so your friend will be a part of the MSTP program even though he may not be getting the federal funds himself. At Vandy for example I know of at least 5 non-US students. One of the criteria for funding MSTP grants is to demonstrate strong commitment by the school for support of physician-scientists (or maybe more appropriately scientist-physicians). Hence the more money school itself puts into the program the better score they get (in addition to many other factors). At Vandy we have 10-11 fully funded MSTP students, but the MSTP grant gives enough money for 5-6 (i think), the rest are funded by the school. Do we know who is NIH funded? From discussions with other students I do not think so, the school does their thing and never tells you, as you are all part of the "MSTP" as they define the program. The only reason I know I do not get federal funds is because I cannot. Interestingly, until I joined SDN last year I've never even heard of the MSTP/non-MSTP mudphud concept. Soo.... my point is, it is certainly possible, and at some schools even encouraged for those who are committed to a physician-scientist career. Focus: research, that has to be undoubtedly the most most important part of your application. Depending on the school, I am almost tempted to say that "traditional" med school values such as volunteering, etc.. are, well, not irrelevant but not stressed. So, when in doubt do your utmost to get published and noticed by research faculty, clinical MD recs are not nearly as important.
Very best of luck to your friend,
Aleks
 
Alexs42 said:
Definitely check out the MSTP website listed above. Note that the suggestion to apply only to non-MSTP schools, is very much wrong. From my experience (F1 student at Vandy~MSTP school), as well as from friends I have at other schools, it seems to me that the better the program is, the more non-federal funds they have in their portfolio. End result: the better the school is, the less they care if you are a US citizen or not (a little counterintuitive, but absolutely true). Also, the better the school is, (with very few Ivy exceptions, the more they care about purely research and achievement, and less about "we have to have Americans" crap. Note, however, that being an outstanding candidate is a must since standards will be a bit higher for your friend, than for a Cit/Perm res. Also, a lot of schools quasi-pool their federal and local funds so your friend will be a part of the MSTP program even though he may not be getting the federal funds himself. At Vandy for example I know of at least 5 non-US students. One of the criteria for funding MSTP grants is to demonstrate strong commitment by the school for support of physician-scientists (or maybe more appropriately scientist-physicians). Hence the more money school itself puts into the program the better score they get (in addition to many other factors). At Vandy we have 10-11 fully funded MSTP students, but the MSTP grant gives enough money for 5-6 (i think), the rest are funded by the school. Do we know who is NIH funded? From discussions with other students I do not think so, the school does their thing and never tells you, as you are all part of the "MSTP" as they define the program. The only reason I know I do not get federal funds is because I cannot. Interestingly, until I joined SDN last year I've never even heard of the MSTP/non-MSTP mudphud concept. Soo.... my point is, it is certainly possible, and at some schools even encouraged for those who are committed to a physician-scientist career. Focus: research, that has to be undoubtedly the most most important part of your application. Depending on the school, I am almost tempted to say that "traditional" med school values such as volunteering, etc.. are, well, not irrelevant but not stressed. So, when in doubt do your utmost to get published and noticed by research faculty, clinical MD recs are not nearly as important.
Very best of luck to your friend,
Aleks

Thanks for correcting me Aleks. My response was from the schools that I am applying to now, which is obviously not all the schools in the U.S.. Many of the schools that I was applying to required a copy of my permanent resident card (since I personally am not a US citizen) and their reason was that they need you to be citizen or permanent resident in order to get MSTP funding. I think the rule is still in place, however, as you mentioned schools can choose to ignore it if they've got the power 😉 .
 
just to give the full link to the list:
http://www.intransit.us/international/

i was also recently informed that northwestern also will accept international students.

with regards to how competitive the international applicant has to be - they should simply be as competitive as any other successful mstp applicant. being 'better' is always preferred, but if you feel like your application is strong, but not the best, email the program, or apply anyway. emailing the director is often a good way to gauge the programs interest.
 
With regards to this issue. I think ultimately it comes down to where your funding source will actually come from what I understand. I believe that if your source of funding comes from the NIH (i.e. the MSTP). Realize that the MSTP funds to a program is only a portion of their funds. Much funding is poured in from the medical school and the graduate school and sometimes even from private sources such as foundations. For example, the UIUC program gets funding from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Carle Foundation. So there's always the possibility that as long as you can be 100% supported without the NIH funds (which require the US citizenship or permanent residency status).

-Freddy