Non-citizen with an LCME-accredited degree - need help building CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inglisred

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in a Canadian MD program and looking for some insight into how I can build up my CV in order to be a competitive applicant for residency. As of now, I'm a year into my program.

Seeing as I will graduate with an LCME-accredited degree, I won't be considered an IMG. Nevertheless, I'm not a citizen of either the US or Canada, which will undoubtedly set me back.

Firstly, what specialties can I aim for? I'm not looking to enter Pediatrics or Family Medicine. I researched Dermatology and realized it's a very steep uphill battle. Can anyone suggest some good specialties for me? I was thinking of Internal Medicine, but don't understand the pathways beyond the residency. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Secondly, when should I aim to do the USMLE steps? I've also heard that doing step 3 will make it easier to obtain an H1b visa for residency training. Is there any truth to this? What ideal scores should I aim for, and what should I do in addition to reading First Aid? I will also refer to the numerous posts here regarding USMLE prep.

Lastly, what else should I do to build up my CV in order to become a highly competitive applicant? I've heard terms like "research" and "articles" thrown around, but could someone give me a thorough understanding of all the extra requirements that would make me better than most applicants?

I'd really appreciate any help or feedback from you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Many programs don't offer visas. Others have policies supporting either one or the other but not both.
Willingness to support a particular visa type does not appear to be specialty-specific in my experience, but I have never seen a compendium of program policies.
Visas are not generally a significant obstacle at Ivies or (paradoxically) at many community programs that have a hard time filling.
Successful internationals have scoured FREIDA and program websites to find programs in their specialty open to their status and preferred visa.
Medicine is always a good choice because of the large number of programs and positions.
Good scores on CK 1, 2 and CS are a must and should ideally be available by September 15th. CK 3 is a good idea, especially if the other two scores are modest.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're in a uncommon situation. Enrolled in a Canadian school, on some sort of a Canadian visa, not a US nor Canadian citizen. What to do to make yourself competitive is the same as everyone else -- good grades, good USMLE's, perhaps a research project of some sort and/or something "unique" about your application (might be lots of volunteer work, or leadership, etc).

The visa issue is separate. As mentioned above, some schools will offer none, J, H, or both. You will not qualify for an OPT, nor a TN visa. Step 3 isn't an option for you -- you're in medical school and will be applying for the match as a 4th year. (That's not a negative in your case, you'll look like every other US/Canadian applicant).

So:

1. First check to see if you can match in Canada. I have no idea if you'd qualify for the 1st, 2nd, or no iterations of CaRMS. This assumes you want to stay in Canada -- but perhaps if you match there, you can somehow start the process of becoming a citizen? I have no idea.

2. In the US, you'll need to look at programs that offer J and H visas. A J would be from your home country, not Canada. There is a stickied thread above that talks all about the different types of visas.

3. No specialty would be completely ruled out. It all depends upon your performance. But your options may be limited by visas, so choosing a competitive field with few spots might be a squeeze.

Members don't see this ad :)
@inglisred
In case you aren't aware, you can't write STEP 3 until after graduation and you CAN NOT get an H1-B without STEP 3 results. This ultimately means that unless you get in on a J1 (which has huge limitations: namely, only offered for specialties that health Canada wants, and requires returning to canada for 2 years after residency before applying for any other US visa; although seeing as you aren't Canadian, it may have to come from your own country's health dept.?), you will have to sit out a year in order to write Step 3 and obtain an H1-B.

Technically non-US citizens at US medical schools who match to residency can get an H visa without Step 3. Those who completed medical school outside the US would need Step 3 for an H. Whether a Canadian school would count as "US" (since we have joint accreditation) or not is unclear.

Their J would need to come from their home country. That could be a plus or a minus -- doesn't need to worry about Health Canada J limits, but could be from one of the countries with a visa moratorium