Non clinical DPM job opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nki0329

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm graduating from residency in June of this year. Even though I love podiatry, and love the clinical aspect of it, a part of me wonders what else is available to me with a DPM degree. I've been looking into some non-clinical job sites, but most everything has a MD/DO requirement. I know that expert witness work is option, but has anyone personally, or does anyone know of someone who decided to enter non clinical work post residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I'm graduating from residency in June of this year. Even though I love podiatry, and love the clinical aspect of it, a part of me wonders what else is available to me with a DPM degree. I've been looking into some non-clinical job sites, but most everything has a MD/DO requirement. I know that expert witness work is option, but has anyone personally, or does anyone know of someone who decided to enter non clinical work post residency?

Sooooooooo you studied and trained for 7 years to NOT utilize any of your acquired skills after residency?

There is hardly a strong market for podiatry post residency (In terms of quality of available jobs).

Why would there be any interest in a DPM for non traditional work opportunities that you are looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

There are some extremely successful juris doctor/DPM dual degree holders out there that mostly use their DPM knowledge in the legal system but that would taked another degree and add to your mountain of debt.

Teaching is a possibility

Hospital admin (If RNs can do it...?)

Hardware sales

Shoe company/orthotics company consultant

If I really thought it through I could come up with some more ideas. There are options but none of them will be common options.

Best bet is to probably stick it out until your loans are gone then do what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also work as a laboratory director, clinical or technical consultant (per CAP or College of American Pathologists) so long as you have training or previous experience working in a lab performing/supervising moderate/high complexity testing. Getting a job doing this will be tough considering you're up against MD/DO pathologists. If I pull the trigger and attend podiatry school, this is something I'd be interested in doing since I have 6 years of experience working in a lab and currently supervising a hematology department.

Start a private practice, grow to a middling degree of success, jot down every you learned along the way, and then write a book targeted to residents that claims to teach them how to start practice on their own but really requires them to pay you as an overpriced self-promoting consultant. You will either be a millionaire or an inmate or both in just a few years.

An expert witness is rarely a full time job and realistically, no one is going to hire an “expert” witness that has never had any true practice experience.

There are consultant positions out there but board certification and years of experience are required.

Unless you despise clinical practice, use your training, gain experience and then explore your options.

Only thing I can think of is teaching at one of the schools.

Pretty bleak if you aren't going to do clinical. You could always go clinical initially then move towards more business side of things.

Other things I could think of is form a company and start trying to get nursing home contracts, then get some associates to schedule for each of them.

Research wise if you aren't clinical is going to be pretty moot. Other avenues are getting your law degree and doing that, getting a healthcare administration degree and taking a huge pay cut. Join the military, go through OCS if you aren't too old, and being a line officer until the PSLF pays off your loans.

Last edited:
Start a private practice, grow to a middling degree of success, jot down every you learned along the way, and then write a book targeted to residents that claims to teach them how to start practice on their own but really requires them to pay you as an overpriced self-promoting consultant. You will either be a millionaire or an inmate or both in just a few years.

I think the initial book publishing fad has faded from where it was 5 years ago. All these residents self-publishing rotations or school guides back then.

The hot ticket now is apparently marketing yourself as a sought after expert 1-2 years after graduating residency. Gotta have a flashy website. There's some lady in New York who's doing that to sell foot cream, and the ones on that TV show.

A friend of mine is working for KCI, traveling across the country (somewhat) to show other doctors how to use the wound vac. Not completely "non clinical" but you dont have your own patients.