Non clinical options for vet

Started by chaser16
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chaser16

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I'm sure there are few of these threads about, but couldn't seem to find much recently. I've been graduated a few years, done mixed practice and small animal. I feel a bit burnt out, and really not sure what my career aspirations are anymore. I've always liked pathology, and wildlife/conservation. I was just wondering if anyone else has decided to take their vet degree in a bit of a different direction? Where did you even start to look for other options? Feeling a bit lost.............
 
Vet schools do a terrible job of showcasing these careers. I've always been attracted to government/policy work (FDA, USDA-APHIS or FSIS, state departments of agriculture) and industry (technical services, R&D).
 
Generally, the non-clinical options fall in to 3 broad categories: government, academia, and industry. Government and academia are self-explanatory in terms of who you work for, but the jobs can range from office management jobs to field inspections. Industry generally means food, drug, or associated businesses such as supplements or grooming products - these jobs for vets are usually in marketing and technical support, unless you've got a specialty.