All Branch Topic (ABT) Non-Clinical Sources of Income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagle03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there who does insurance claims reviews, online expert witness, etc, as an active duty doc? If this is non-clinical work, does this require command approval as well (ex. moonlighting) and same hour restrictions per week (16)? This would be the same category to me as a military member who drives uber or delivers pizza, who typically doesn't require command approval for a second job outside their work hours. Appreciate all the good information WCI (prior military) and his network/colleagues provide to us!

The List of Physician Side Hustles | Passive Income M.D.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody out there who does insurance claims reviews, online expert witness, etc, as an active duty doc? If this is non-clinical work, does this require command approval as well (ex. moonlighting) and same hour restrictions per week (16)? This would be the same category to me as a military member who drives uber or delivers pizza, who typically doesn't require command approval for a second job outside their work hours. Appreciate all the good information WCI (prior military) and his network/colleagues provide to us!

The List of Physician Side Hustles | Passive Income M.D.
@militaryPHYS is right, all off-duty employment requires command approval.

Clinical work has additional rules (self-referral, accepting ongoing responsibility for patients, billing for DoD beneficiaries, can't use no-fee institutional DEA #, etc) but all ODE requires permission and is generally subject to work hour limits.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not correct. You can do some hooking on the side and you actually shouldn't report it to your command due to the legality issue. You can also sell drugs or commit arson for hire.

I would steer away from hit jobs, as you typically have to travel outside of a 250 mile radius, and would need to take leave. Same thing is true of human trafficking - you usually need to travel outside CONUS, and the paperwork is almost more trouble than the income.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I knew I should have reported the hours that I helped my daughter sell her Girl Scout cookies.

I sure do miss reporting to Big Brother.

I knew I should have reported the hours that I helped my daughter sell her Girl Scout cookies.

I sure do miss reporting to Big Brother.

If you were doing that for profit, the cops would probably have liked to know, too. :)

My command has actually reduced the burden. We no longer have to log hours. Waivers to some of the restrictions are attainable, too.

Of all the things that are different about working for the military vs some other employer (or yourself), having them keep tabs on me is way down low on the list of annoyances, somewhere between random drug testing and sometimes having to wear that horrible aquaflage costume. I am in the military, after all.

If you were doing that for profit, the cops would probably have liked to know, too. :)

My command has actually reduced the burden. We no longer have to log hours. Waivers to some of the restrictions are attainable, too.

Of all the things that are different about working for the military vs some other employer (or yourself), having them keep tabs on me is way down low on the list of annoyances, somewhere between random drug testing and sometimes having to wear that horrible aquaflage costume. I am in the military, after all.

At least now it is back to black/beige/greenoflage. The blueberry period was a sad time in Naval History. I hope nobody got a COM for that idea.

I didn't mind the blueberries when I wore them indoors, but I grew to hate them any place with heat and humidity. The type 3s are much cooler.

Yeah they weren’t a lot of fun in Hawaii. I finally caved and bought the type 3s a few weeks ago and just started wearing them. They’re pretty nice.

I know a ortho guy who set that up as a side gig so when he hit 20 he could retire, do some locums and insurance reviews/consulting for a while until he was financially independent with hefty passive income. I think he was bringing in 15k a month by just doing one Saturday/Sunday insurance review gig.