Non-deployable NG Unit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsasunrise123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, has anyone ever heard of or had experience with non-deployable medical corps units in Army Guard? I've been told my state's unit is not deployable and didn't that was possible so I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experience.

Also, how do specialties work in the Guard? It's my understanding that if I match into field not on critical skills shortage list then I will be automatically transferred to Reserves. Is that correct? Is there anything I can do to stay in Guard? Also, if I match into field on list but then Guard removes that field from list then what happens to me? I very much do not want to have to transfer from Guard to Reserves. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Guard is always deployable....but you aren't as a med student

Dont listen to @sb247, he is a wrong and generally ignorant.

In reality, the NG has lots of nondeployable units (look at the number of NG NCOs who dont wear a combat patch). If youre a part of these units then you do the regular NG stuff (drills, AT) and never have to worry about getting deployed unless you volunteer. Its that simple.

The NG has zero control over what you specialize in. You can do whatever residency you like and wherever you want in the US. You wont be transferred to the reserves if you match to a non-critical field because the NG holds your contract (you took a NG scholarship not a reserve one). However, you may be transferred to another unit within the NG that has a slot for your specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to offer some documentation if you think I'm wrong jojo, I've never heard anything remotely close to guard units being nondeployable, especially for physicians

The Guard has some units that do not deploy; the ones I know of have a stateside training mission. Individuals can still be deployed as augmentees to other units, but it is less likely to happen. There are some specialties the Guard does not have and physicians in those specialties are generally sent to the Reserves though I suppose you could argue to be left in the Guard as a GMO. Guard vs Reserve has nothing to do with the critical specialties list.

As a medical student and resident, you are essentially non-deployable barring WW3. If your goal is to hide out in the Guard and avoid deployment at all costs, I'd recommend avoiding the military completely.

Dont listen to @sb247, he is a wrong and generally ignorant.

In reality, the NG has lots of nondeployable units (look at the number of NG NCOs who dont wear a combat patch). If youre a part of these units then you do the regular NG stuff (drills, AT) and never have to worry about getting deployed unless you volunteer. Its that simple.

Hmm. How did I end up in Kuwait for 3 months, then?

The units may not be deplorable, but individual docs can (and do) get tagged. Consider this: NG has a 90 day limit on deployment length for docs. Brigade gets deployed for 1 year. The sitting BDE surgeon goes for three months and three other docs have to fill the remainder of the year. These come out as NGB taskings. I was tasked to fill a slot for a NG unit 1000 miles from my home. I'm not complaining, just explaining.

Ed

Reactions: 1 user
Fair enough, I'll eat half a crow....there are units that don't deploy....but no, that doesn't mean you can hide in them with 100% effectiveness

The units may not be deplorable, but individual docs can (and do) get tagged.
^^^ This (sorry, sb247, out of the country for a while).

Non-deployable units aren't that much of an enticement. NG docs can and do get deployed as individual augmentees, in which you're slotted in with some unit you have no association with for a 90 day deployment.

Many to most states have some non-deployable units. the state medical detachment often fits that bill. These units are often mixed bags. The non-deployable units tend to attract lots of soldiers that try to do the least possible. Morale in these units can be low, complaining can be high.