Non-dual Degree Dvm/mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuburnPreVet

AU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with trying to do an additional degree (MBA) -- at a school that doesn't offer a dual-degree program? Maybe during the first two summers and/or adding a 5th year on...?

I haven't really looked into it, it's more of a passing thought. I'm sure by the time the Fall rolls around, the thought of any more work will sound insane..but, just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any experience with trying to do an additional degree (MBA) -- at a school that doesn't offer a dual-degree program? Maybe during the first two summers and/or adding a 5th year on...?
I know this wasn't really what you were asking, but Minnesota has an MBA program for vet students that does some online classes during the year, some on-campus stuff for a few weeks during one or two summers, and maybe a project of some kind that you have to do at the end. Thing is, although this is the program their dual-degree students do, it's also open to vet students at any other school. (You have to pay for it, obviously, and I dunno how much it is. And, you have to get yourself to Minnesota for a few weeks in the summer.)

This might be a good option if you're interested in an MBA but your school doesn't offer a dual degree, because it's specifically set up to work around the schedule of a full-time vet student. (I'm guessing the regular MBA program at your school is set up either for doing *that* full-time, or as night classes for people with real jobs, neither of which is necessarily that great for a vet student.)

Thanks, Kate_G. I will look into that.
Auburn (the main campus) does offer distance-MBAs but it is geared towards working professionals, and is typically finished in one-year... I have a feeling I would need to be on the "couple of years plan"...if I were insane enough to try both.

I will look into Minn, tho. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for asking this AuburnPreVet. I was curious about the same thing. I just figured that if I did it I would do it at night after I graduated. Maybe the MN thing is something to look into. Kate, do you have to start it at the beginning of vet school or can you start it later?

Kate, do you have to start it at the beginning of vet school or can you start it later?
The vet who heads the program did a presentation on it at the MN interview... But that was kind of a while ago and I'm not going there, so I really don't remember the details. :oops: Anyway, I *think* you can start either the first or second year. They seemed excited about the program and were really promoting it, so I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to find the official info on the MN website.

I know my friend who just graduated from OSU was seeking an MBA as well when she started vet school. She ended up getting very involved with the veterinary business club and got her business essentials that way. It's another thing to look into.