Non-Long Term Jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkcakc23

Reaction score
Long story short, I need a job for less than a year. Kind of hard to build up a practice during that time and not sure who would even hire me. I know locum jobs wouldn't pay well but would be better than nothing. I would ideally want to do more surgery than clinic if that scenario even exists. Also, I'm in the US.

If anyone has any experience or advice, would appreciate it! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

About the only situation where you’ll be in a surgery heavy deal is with an OD comanagement type practice (I believe one of these types of practices was Omni, years ago) or as a “LASIK cowboy/girl” for a LASIK center like TLC (if these type of places even exist anymore).

As far as the OD type place, I was approached by an OD group, when I was finishing residency about being their surgeon. One OD would take the lead and organize all these ODs to refer into their “center of excellence” where the pts would be screened and then I would do their cataract surgery. That’s pretty much all I would’ve been doing every day. As much as I loved cataract surgery, this felt sketchy to me so I didn’t take it….plus, I really, really wanted to do retina over everything else.

Also, there appear to be a lot of locums jobs. This is based on the random emails I get about places needing coverage. Probably not a bad gig if you don’t mind living out of a suitcase. Not sure how much PP pay for these. The locums companies are the ones making a killing. Whatever the locums company does not pay you, they keep as profit, so their goal is to pay you as little as possible. Instead of using one of these locums companies, you may consider advertising yourself on the AAO professional choices website as a “candidate available for one year” to see if any practices are looking for coverage

Canada has full of locum jobs but Americans are practically barred from entering, unlike Canadians who come to the United States. Canada is pretty hostile to America. Americans are banned from buying a house there. If they already have one, be prepared to be heavily taxed in a way that Canadians are not. Justin Trudeau loves America about the same as Putin does.

As far as jobs for a year or less, they are there but the people who could offer them usually suffer in silence and do not advertise. However, if you know them, they might say "hey, I could use some help like that". Surgery is more tricky because getting hospital privileges takes a lot of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short, I need a job for less than a year. Kind of hard to build up a practice during that time and not sure who would even hire me. I know locum jobs wouldn't pay well but would be better than nothing. I would ideally want to do more surgery than clinic if that scenario even exists. Also, I'm in the US.

If anyone has any experience or advice, would appreciate it! Thank you!
Other than locums, sometimes the VA may have short term openings if you're in the right location. Some VAs desperately need providers to get their wait times down in the short term. Just be ready to be frustrated with processing (unless you've done some of your training at a VA).

The reality is that if you're going to be short term working for a year, don't expect to get a great deal out in the open. But, if this is your situation, it is what it is and you have to make the best of it.

What about taking a job with a Private Equity owned practice? Some are desperate and are paying above market rate. Just don’t tell them it’s for the short term. And yes, sign the non-compete, but just do it in an area you don’t care to live in long term.

Last edited: