non major/art school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J_NicoleASL<3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am going into my junior year of my undergrad, I go to Columbia college Chicago. This school is a private Fine arts college, but has a great reputation. My Major is American sign language-English interpretation. While I love ASL and I am passionate about medicine is what I want to do with my life. I am very proficient in Science and math. I do understand that most med schools will not accept science pre req's from an arts school so My plan is to take them at a local state college back home once I finish my B.A. If my general GPA is somewhere around a 3.2 and I get an awesome science G.P.A does it sound like I have a chance to get into Decent med schools? It isn't too last for me to transfer to a school with a premed department but I do really love my department, so Im really torn because While I love my department I am willing to leave it in order to Better suit myself for the career I actually want.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't even need a premed dept. All you need it to finish your degree, take the pre-req's, take the MCAT and apply.

Reactions: 1 user
It will depend upon your MCAT score and the rest of your packet. The median cGPA for MD school matriculants is 3.7. For DO it's around 3.3-3.4 (and rising).

If my general GPA is somewhere around a 3.2 and I get an awesome science G.P.A does it sound like I have a chance to get into Decent med schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some shadowing, volunteer work, hospice, EMT, ER scribe, etc and get your hands dirty so to speak and see if medicine is really your thing!

Your current info suggest DO might give a better chance, so do some reading on DO, MD, and SDN (and elsewhere!)

Best of Luck

My husband has a BA in Music and he will be starting his 3rd year at VCOM. When he back to his take his pre-req, that when he worked with professors in the research and studies. Also, shadows, lots of doctors and volunteered at a free clinic. So, yes, it is possible to have a Bachelor in Arts and still go to medical school.