Non-malignant community residencies in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpanishMusical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone -- post-match has got me thinking about residency, and I think it could be a cool experience to do residency in NYC for a few years. That said, I definitely have an interest in outpatient peds (that is, practicing right after residency) and have heard that some of the bigger programs aren't as good about giving residents autonomy (ie, a lot of work falls on fellows). Additionally, I've also heard the more community-type hospitals are pretty brutal to residents (high proportions of IMGs, etc); I understand that some degree of scutwork is just how it goes in (NYC) residency, but I'd like to avoid the worst of the worst if possible.

My question is: are there any non-malignant community peds residencies (or at least, residencies that give residents a good deal of outpatient exposure and independence) in NYC? Which ones are they?

(Apologies for my naivete; if I need some sense talked into me, by all means please do.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone -- post-match has got me thinking about residency, and I think it could be a cool experience to do residency in NYC for a few years. That said, I definitely have an interest in outpatient peds (that is, practicing right after residency) and have heard that some of the bigger programs aren't as good about giving residents autonomy (ie, a lot of work falls on fellows). Additionally, I've also heard the more community-type hospitals are pretty brutal to residents (high proportions of IMGs, etc); I understand that some degree of scutwork is just how it goes in (NYC) residency, but I'd like to avoid the worst of the worst if possible.

My question is: are there any non-malignant community peds residencies (or at least, residencies that give residents a good deal of outpatient exposure and independence) in NYC? Which ones are they?

(Apologies for my naivete; if I need some sense talked into me, by all means please do.)
You may wanna check out some programs in Long Island, Upstate NY, and New Jersey. Lots of great smaller programs in those areas and you can still be within 30-60 minutes of NYC depending on where you are.