Non Matching RUMORS!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yasergale

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from my friend's brother, an internist, who said that he had a friend that ranked 10 programs and had to scramble in the end. He ended up with his first choice. Lucky for him. I'm not sure what he was applying to though. Man , this worries me. I'm applying to gen surg with average board scores and I'm in the lower tier of my class. Despite having 10 interviews so far, this issue of not matching, especially with the increased comp in GS, is worrying me.

Anyone with any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've got 10 interviews, you have nothing to worry about. You are going to match. Surgery is on the upswing now, and while it will be more competitive this year, you should take comfort in having 10 interviews.

For now, relax. Interverview well, and things will fall into place.

Not neccessarily. It really depends upon the size of the programs that you're getting interviews at. If they're larger university types (5+ residents/year), I'd agree you'll likely wind up somewhere. With smaller programs, all bets are off especially in desirable places. I would try to get your name into as many hats as possible and even consider a prelim year rather than going to a really poor program, you can usually find a better position that way in a PG-2 categorical spot if you do a good job that year @ a reputable place.

Members don't see this ad :)
isn't it too late to apply to prelim spots?

Originally posted by Yasergale
I heard from my friend's brother, an internist, who said that he had a friend that ranked 10 programs and had to scramble in the end. He ended up with his first choice. Lucky for him. I'm not sure what he was applying to though. Man , this worries me. I'm applying to gen surg with average board scores and I'm in the lower tier of my class. Despite having 10 interviews so far, this issue of not matching, especially with the increased comp in GS, is worrying me.

Anyone with any insight?

My advice is that you take a step back and look at your situation. You're going into General Surgery (not Oto) and you already have 10 interviews as of November. Relax. Your life as a surgeon (and yes, you will Match) is going to be stressful enough without you having to take on pre-intern year worries.

:cool: