non-matric upper level sci

Started by MSS978
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MSS978

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Is it worth it to bump up my science GPA by enrolling as a non-matriculant and take upper level science courses?

Also, do you think an introductory course in cell bio, molecular bio or biochem is regarded as an upper level course? I already took intro bio but my grades were weak in it.

Thank you.
 
1) yes definately worth it..although if you enroll as a part-time you get priority registration to get the courses you want and other possible benefits (just make sure you get A's)

2) molec bio and chem are definately upper level science courses
 
Hey all,

Is it worth it to bump up my science GPA by enrolling as a non-matriculant and take upper level science courses?

Also, do you think an introductory course in cell bio, molecular bio or biochem is regarded as an upper level course? I already took intro bio but my grades were weak in it.

Thank you.
If they are 100-level courses (or however your school designates nonmajor survey classes), they are not upper-level. If you found Bio difficult, it might not be a bad idea to take them anyway, to get a solid grounding, and then plan higher level courses after you get your feet under you, academically speaking.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks for the input...

these courses get included into the AMCAS GPA (BCPM) correct?
I'm asking because the school where I am planning on taking these courses does not include them into their GPA. Their policy is non-matriculating coursework is not included into the school-specific GPA.

I am assuming it is included into AMCAS-BCPM as post-bacc; any thoughts?
 
thanks for the input...

these courses get included into the AMCAS GPA (BCPM) correct?
I'm asking because the school where I am planning on taking these courses does not include them into their GPA. Their policy is non-matriculating coursework is not included into the school-specific GPA.

I am assuming it is included into AMCAS-BCPM as post-bacc; any thoughts?
Maybe you meant non degree-seeking rather than nonmatriculating?

As long as the school's official transcript has grades, then yes, science coursework would be included in the AMCAS BCPM GPA and cGPA. And since you've graduated, and are not a grad degree candidate, the GPA earned would be listed under Postbac.