Non-medical books that have changed your life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about books that have made you a better doctor/med student by giving you perspective, helping you improve yourself, and imparting wisdom. Maybe it was a book that taught you how to think. Or a book that taught you how to communicate more effectively. Or maybe it was a piece of fiction that shed light on the complexity of humanity. Which books for you were life altering?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm talking about books that have made you a better doctor/med student by giving you perspective, helping you improve yourself, and imparting wisdom. Maybe it was a book that taught you how to think. Or a book that taught you how to communicate more effectively. Or maybe it was a piece of fiction that shed light on the complexity of humanity. Which books for you were life altering?
Road Less Traveled by Dr. M. Scott Peck.

Life changing for me. Also moved up psychiatry on my list as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The Bible is the most important to me. It contains every criteria you mentioned and much more. Read the proverbs if you are looking for wisdom.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know about change my life, modified my world view is probably more accurate description.

Genghis Khan and the making of the modern world
Thinking fast and slow
The big short
Capital in the 21st century
The black swan

The idiot
The trial
The stranger
Brave New world
Animal farm
Candide

I'm not sure how strict you are about your "non-medical" criteria, but I recommend "When Breath Becomes Air" by Dr. Paul Kalanithi. Even though it's written by a neurosurgeon, it's less about medicine and more about appreciating life and coming to grips with your mortality.

Reactions: 3 users
How math explains the world.

All things are math. Seriously.

Tough call. either the Bluejacket’s manual or UCMJ, both are a good read

Atlas Shrugged - Rand
1984 - Orwell
The Prince - Machiavelli
How to Win Friends and Influence People - Carnegie
Bismarck: A Life - Steinberg
Napoleon - Cronin
Candide - Voltair
Things Fall Apart - Achebe

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough call. either the Bluejacket’s manual or UCMJ, both are a good read

Yeah man, once I found out I had the authority to, 'quell quarrels, frays and disorders' the power went to my head.

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is super fun.

The Trial by Kafka. Anything Dostoevsky.

Candide and A Tale of Two Cities. Both taught me that just because something's done by "a master" doesn't mean it isn't absolute crap.

22196091_1883552405295147_6410512830286458980_n.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

One of my favorite books that I just read recently was The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Not medicine related at all but some of the quotes in the book are amazing and potentially life changing.

Reactions: 1 users
The Cosmos - Sagan
To the Last Man & The Last Full Measure- Shaara
Art of War - Sun Tzu

The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone, Dune all had an impact on my life at different times and for different reasons

The Slight Edge.

Every little decision you make on a day to day basis is either working for you or against you. What separates the best from rest, all products of small decisions magnified over time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm reading 'Never Split the Difference: Negotiating as if your life depended on it" & it is fascinating! There's a lot of insight to the largely irrational decision-making processes that happen in ppl's minds every day (that we're unaware of) & how it manifests itself when we negotiate pretty much anything e.g. a raise or promotion, help from others, and almost any instance that fulfills our 'wants'.

Really good for enhancing the effectiveness of your communication with others whether or not there is something to gain! :prof:

Tattoos on the Heart - Greg Boyle (great for those interested in social justice)