Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

NON-Out of State Friendly schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by OnMyWayThere, Apr 9, 2004.

1. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

Which DO schools are non out of state friendly (accept most in-state schools)? I don't have stellar numbers so I don't think I should be applying to all the schools. Anybody know about this? Most of their websites don't have the in state vs. out of state ratios.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. YoungFaithful

YoungFaithful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MSUCOM fo sho

Big $$$ and low out of state %

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. raptor5

raptor5 Fooled by Randomness
    15+ Year Member

PCOM accepts mostly PA residents and I believe UNECOM accepts mostly people from the New England area.

4. bigmuny

bigmuny Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Almost all state funded schools md and do must by law have a certain percentage of their class in-state students(most schools around 90% of class). The state schools are supported by tax payers and obviously one state doesn't want to pick up the tab for training another states doctors. Therefore, it is more difficult to get into any state school as an out of state applicant. Private schools it doesn't matter where you are from. Private schools do tend to have many students who are from near the school, but this is largely due to applicant preference(people tend to accept offers from schools close to home).

5. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

MSUCOM, TCOM, OSUCOM, OUCOM, WVCOM.

PCSOM and VCOM are geared towards appalachian students, however they don't have enough applicants from the region to be too exclusive about it. Similarly, UNECOM towards New England students.

6. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm guessing you are from California and if that is the case, and as a fellow Californian I can say you are pretty much screwed on the state thing. The UC system schools are very difficult to get into (resident or not). If you aren't opposed to moving out of state before you apply to schools, then you may want to follow some of the advice of the others here as to which state to move to. Out of curiosity, what do your numbers look like? If you don't feel like publicly posting them, you can pm me for a nonbiased opinion.

wbdo

7. ad_sharp

ad_sharp Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OSUCOM is hard to get into out of state. I'm trying to remember, but I think that a maximum of only 10% (8 or 9 seats) get in from out of state. I addition, the tuition is like twice the amount for instaters. It's gonna run you about 30K a year just for school, fees, and supplies if I remember correctly.

8. haujun

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It is interesting to note that some private schools (MD and DO) continue to receive some funds from their own states. PCOM is a "private" DO school which interviews significantly more than half of in-state applicants 250-300 out of about 500 applicants whereas about 5 % of Out of State applicants (2500) get to the interview stage. Thus, obviously :rolleyes: most of their student body are PA residents. PCOM's admission process is like public school, but its tution is private. Perhaps they need to change to public DO school and charge LESS to their students. :mad:

9. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

UC system? He's asking about DO schools. He's not screwed in the least. I listed all the schools not to bother with, that still leaves LECOM, PCOM, UHSCOM, KCOM, COMP, TUCOM, DMUCOM, NYCOM, NSUCOM etc etc

10. Doctor Peloncito

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I know that he's asking primarily abotu DO schools. But as a Californian (I think), he does not qualify for in state status at any of the public DO schools. Most of the ones that others have mentioned are public. Other than EVVCOM, PCSOM, and to a certain extent UNECOM, the private schools couldn't give a lick which state you come from. In order to get preferential treatment by one of the public schools, he would have to move to that state and work for a year or so to become a resident. If he wants to save money, then he needs to avoid applying to any public school. I wouldn't skip out on PCSOM or EVVCOM, though, they'll take anyone who may be interested in working in Appalachia for a few years after residency. EVVCOM, has awesome facilities (or so I hear), plus you have access to all of the resources of VTech. PCSOM includes most of your first year texts and equipment (including OMM table, and laptop) with your tuition. Don't apply to MSUCOM, OUCOM, OSUCOM, UMDNJ, TCOM (they have a separate application system anyway), or WVSOM.

Good luck

wbdo

11. raptor5

raptor5 Fooled by Randomness
    15+ Year Member

I hear that. I am all for it. I would like them to charge less starting with the incoming class.

I wonder what the most expensive D.O. school is?

12. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

MSUCOM out-of-state $50k+

13. demnyd

demnyd Junior Member

Holy **** MSUCOM is that expensive for out of state!?! That's my first choice, thank God I'm in MI!

14. jmarra03

jmarra03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know personally Michigan and Ohio are tough to get into for an out of stater( I wasn't even offered interviews here and I am a competitive canidate) I have also heard Texas is difficult to get into for out of state and it has a separate application from aacomas completely!

15. group_theory

group_theory EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
    Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    While some of you have complained about the cost of PCOM, please keep in mind that medical education is expensive, and unless the school is heavily subsidized by the state (like Texas), the tuition will be high. But you don't have to take my word for it. Below are medical schools in Pennsylvania, followed by their tuition for first year in-state and out-of-state residents. Total is the cost of living (books, fees, transportation, etc) as calculated by the school (unless indicated otherwise). These numbers will help keep things in prospective.

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
    First year: $30,576 (2003-2004 academic year)
    Total: (this JUST includes comprehensive fee and student health fee) $31,651
    http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_tution_fees/adm_tution_fees.html

Jefferson Medical College
    First year - $31,958 per year (2002-2003 academic year)
    Total: $48,870
    http://www.jefferson.edu/financialaid/home/faq_student_exp.cfm
    http://www.jefferson.edu/financialaid/home/jmc-financ.pdf

University of Pennsylvania
    First year - $34,482 (2003-2004 estimated)
    Total: $55,247
    http://www.med.upenn.edu/admiss/financial.html

Drexel University (MCP/Hahnemann)
    First year - $33,100 (2003-2004 estimated cost)
    Total: $54,855
    http://webcampus.med.drexel.edu/admissions/financialaid.asp

Temple University (semi-public, semi-private school)
    First year PA resident - $30,020 (2003-2004 Tuition schedule)
    First year out-of-state resident - $36,766
    Total: N/A (or i didn't look hard enough)
    http://www.temple.edu/bursar/tuition_rates.htm

Penn State College of Medicine
    First year PA resident - $26,062 (2003-2004 academic year)
    First year out-of-state resident - $36,232
    Total (PA resident) - $40,262
    Total (non-PA resident) - $50,432
    http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md/financialaid/pabudget.html
    http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md/financialaid/nonpabudget.html

University of Pittsburgh
    First year PA resident - $30,084 (2003-2004 academic year)
    First year out-of-state resident - $35,232
    Total: N/A (or didn't look hard enough)
    http://www.ir.pitt.edu/tuition/currtuit.htm
    (note: please refer to "First Professional" since graduate refers to Masters/PhD students)

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM)
    First year PA resident - $23,400
    First year out-of-state resident - $24,400
    Total: (fees listed, no other cost of living/books seen) - see website
    http://www.lecom.edu/admissions/tuition.htm

Hope this information helps.

Group_theory
    "now accepting karma points"

16. WillowRose

WillowRose hot mama-yama
    7+ Year Member

The deal with out-of-staters and OU-COM is that you have to sign a contract to practice in Ohio after you finish. You have to sign a paper acknowledging that before you can even be considered for an interview.

On the plus side, it's not that difficult to fulfill the terms of the contract and after your first year, you can apply to have your status changed from out-of-state to in-state (provided you meet the criteria).

As far as how hard it is to get in....well, I think they probably weed out a lot of applicants with the contract. The entering class is only 100 and I'd venture to guess that at least 90-95 of them are Ohioans.

17. DireWolf

DireWolf The Pride of Cucamonga
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You are right on the money with your assessment.

18. Doctor Peloncito

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

It weeded me out, I couldn't commit to something like that right off of the bat.

19. WillowRose

WillowRose hot mama-yama
    7+ Year Member

Yep...I understand that! The way I looked at it--they aren't going to hold me to it unless I go to school there. I might as well sign it and see if I can get an interview.

When I went for my interview, I made sure that before I left I was absolutely clear on what would be involved in fulfilling that contract. Of course, I was afraid to limit my choices tooooo much by not signing!!

20. Demosthenes_7

Demosthenes_7 Member
    7+ Year Member

Most private schools do favor in-state or in-area residents. MCW, a private allopathic school, use to get $10000 per year from the state of Wisconsin for each resident. Now they only get $5000. PCOM, CCOM, and PCSOM heavily favor in-state applicants. Very few schools do not, UHS is one of the few that come to mind. Spend $10 and subscribe to USNews and you can see for yourself the discrepancy b/w in-state and out-of-state applicant #s at most private schools. Some of the #s are quite surprising...

21. WillowRose

WillowRose hot mama-yama
    7+ Year Member

It's true that many private schools favor in-state or in-area applicants. However, most state schools are *required* to take 90%+ of students from their state.

From what I have read, schools like VCOM and PCSOM reserve the earliest spots for in-state or in-area applicants and then open the remaining spaces to the entire pool. While it still gives a preference to a particular group, it's not quite the same as the state mandate.

Willow