Non "pre-med" jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cubicle monkey -> IT (at least it got me to Europe) -> research tech

My salary keeps going down every time, but at least I enjoy my job more

Members don't see this ad.

I was an MMA coach, kick boxing instructor and taught sexual assault and aggression defense courses and did some training for local LEO and FBI departments.

a living off of fighting. love it :thumbup:

there is this fighting fit class at my gym. always looks interesting.

a living off of fighting. love it :thumbup:

there is this fighting fit class at my gym. always looks interesting.

Do it! There is no greater full body, full health workout like fighting! Both mentally and physically. I'm biased though, been making a living off it for nearly a decade now. My real love is Chinese martial arts, well aside from medicine. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an MMA coach, kick boxing instructor and taught sexual assault and aggression defense courses and did some training for local LEO and FBI departments.

Other than that, med aide, lab tech, research, blah blah blah.

MMA coach? that's awesome! i really want to get into kickboxing, or maybe even muay thai

MMA coach? that's awesome! i really want to get into kickboxing, or maybe even muay thai

Ok, so all you people need to just come to school with me. I taught an awesome kickboxing bag class for years, love it! I would advise anyone and everyone to get into a class like kickboxing or so, its an amazing workout, and great mentally, not to mention the stress relief!!

Then, when you think you're in amazing condition, do a couple rounds of sparring with someone else and see how you feel :D

Then, when you think you're in amazing condition, do a couple rounds of sparring with someone else and see how you feel :D

Exactly, the best kept secret in the fighting world. The new fashion is all these fighting classes which are absolutely great. But having someone punch you in the face while trying to move is totally different. Not to mention chocking you out and such. Really takes the breath away! lol

Do it! There is no greater full body, full health workout like fighting! Both mentally and physically. I'm biased though, been making a living off it for nearly a decade now. My real love is Chinese martial arts, well aside from medicine. :D

:smack:The only exercise I do is Wii dancing...

MMA Classes are freakin awesome. I've go two nights a week (2 hrs each) and a great way to blow of steam from studying. Stregth and conditioning is hardcore. "Fast feet.....SPRAWL, as soon as I get up, SPRAWL!" You will never sweat so hard in your life.

It definitely seems to help during interviews when you've had a lot of random experiences, including some in healthcare. My resume:

apartment supervisor (often let ppl into their apts @ 4am)

gym

church youth leader

TA for gen chem. that job was fun.

corndog dipper at the state fair

cna

camp counselor

currently: psychiatric treatment counselor. would not recommend this job. ha.

Ok, so all you people need to just come to school with me. I taught an awesome kickboxing bag class for years, love it! I would advise anyone and everyone to get into a class like kickboxing or so, its an amazing workout, and great mentally, not to mention the stress relief!!

haha yea I'm going to look into classes in the next few months for kickboxing...but muay thai is not as easy to find :(

Jobs I've had...

supermarket cashier (actually paid well), sales associate at major Dept store (hello discounts!), Reunions Weekend "intern" on-campus, hostess/tea server/cashier at Golf Club, delivered newspapers (horrible hours, good pay), Barnes & Noble Cafe barista, biomedical text annotator (random), cater waiter (good pay), substitute teacher (fun and rewarding - the kids love me!).

I'm ready to hang up the working odd jobs act and move on to the Med Student gig!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the need to revive this thread. I lead a class of two-year-olds. I've also worked as a nanny (or "manny"), secretary (yawn), and a computer lab assistant (bigger yawn).

I wrestle crocodiles, like Steve Irwin.

dude.. wait tables.

I did three main jobs before med school: taught english overseas (1-year), played/taught guitar, and waited..

the stuff i learned at the restaurant helped me waaaay more in med school than any of my undergrad classes or volunteering stuff. If you can read people, know how to reach them, know what they want, recognize body language, *multi-task*, make people comfortable instantly, deal with customers bull**** and messy situations, you will be a rockstar waiter and third-year med stud. seriously waiting is STRESSFUL (try rocking a 6 table section on friday night..) and it prepares you for a lot of the crazy interpersonal **** that happens in the hospital. plus there are always girls in restaurants and it's a fun crowd to work with..

I do boring finance things/basic grunt office work. I also teach kids how to not drown.

I worked as a lifeguard, worked at Target for a few months, did a summer research gig, and was an engineer for a telecom company. Now I am a CNA.

I've worked in a grocery store for the past 4 years. Have met some really cool people and I basically get paid to lift all day :D

I'm a full time travel agent. I've seen the world...so that's good.

Cliche but I'm a server. have been since I started college. I love my job... where else can you talk so much **** in the kitchen and go out and be friendly with the customers?
Downside: working 35 hours a week there makes it realy hard to find time to do volunteer stuff.

Right now I work in IT at my university. Over the summers I work as an MA. I couldn't find a job as an MA that fit my school schedule.

I've worked in a grocery store for the past 4 years. Have met some really cool people and I basically get paid to lift all day :D

The same, except I just started a couple of months ago. Good exercise

work as a sales associate at coach.
great discount.

So what jobs do you guys have that are out of the ordinary pre-med set.. i.e. EMT-B, pharmacy tech, CNA, lab workers.. all that good stuff.

Any car salesman? Desk workers? Construction?
You guys dont reach high enough!! I skipped all of those jobs and applied straight for a Chief of Pediatric Neurosurgery job:oops: No calls yet but maybe just maybe:xf:

I worked on a farm for a summer ;)

Hey I love your name, Go pokes! (I'm also an OSU Alum)

Flight Instructor for 3 years, Airline Pilot for 3 Years, Navigation Analyst for a year and applying in a year!.....Was also a part time substitute teacher and a waiter...

Since graduating from high school I have worked at Wendy's, for a RAM distributor, call center, a tree nursery, Radioshack, Reception place, Carpet Cleaning, Tutor, Painter, Filing Clerk, and Currently as a Database admin.

Did lifeguarding 3 yrs during college (almost medical?), then was a full-time medical research assistant the year after that.

This year is the first time I'm doing un-medical work since high school... This includes some brand advertising/promotions (apparently common for lots of pre-meds and even med students in this area, who knew!), and now working at the pretzel shop in the mall. I'm trying not to let this job give me obesity/diabetes...

Hey I love your name, Go pokes! (I'm also an OSU Alum)

Flight Instructor for 3 years, Airline Pilot for 3 Years, Navigation Analyst for a year and applying in a year!.....Was also a part time substitute teacher and a waiter...

Awesome! Yeah what a season so far! Beat Texas (not to hijack the thread or anything :laugh:)

I work at my family's printing business. I cut vinyl, print banners, make signs, print decals, etc. Troubleshooting is a big part of my job, that's an important skill right? Hahaha.
Soon I will be a pseudo-intern in the sales department, where I will follow our marketing guy to call on customers. :thumbup:

I worked as a cashier at a bookstore, and then an office assistant. boring jobs, but i needed the $$

dude.. wait tables.

I did three main jobs before med school: taught english overseas (1-year), played/taught guitar, and waited..

the stuff i learned at the restaurant helped me waaaay more in med school than any of my undergrad classes or volunteering stuff. If you can read people, know how to reach them, know what they want, recognize body language, *multi-task*, make people comfortable instantly, deal with customers bull**** and messy situations, you will be a rockstar waiter and third-year med stud. seriously waiting is STRESSFUL (try rocking a 6 table section on friday night..) and it prepares you for a lot of the crazy interpersonal **** that happens in the hospital. plus there are always girls in restaurants and it's a fun crowd to work with..

+1, I was about to say something like this, but you beat me to it. Most fun job I have ever had. Im going to back to this actually, between now and next fall.

I have also worked as a driver, as a pool cleaner, and at a sports club.

Last edited:
dude.. wait tables.

Although I've never been a waiter I would throw caddying up there as one of those jobs that doesn't sound impressive (if thats the word I'm looking for) but has so many life-lesson teaching intricacies in it. Think you can handle responsibility? Try following a golf ball track across the sky at over 100 mph (even bad golfers have 100+ ball speed with today's tech) as it slices at least over to a different hole. Once you've done that and have a general area where the ball is, run ahead to the tall grass or rough that just loves to eat banana sliced balls and find it before the golfer (who attributes the shank to "picking his head up") gets there and acts as if you have x-ray vision and can see through trees (or a homing device to find errand balls). THEN, once you realize there is no way you can find his ball, listen to him mumble your incompetence as he walks away and drops a provisional ball (conveniently improving both his lie and second shot). Oh, all while carrying at least 1 50+ pound bag for about 4 miles in the baking sun. That might make is sound like I hate my job, but that definitely isn't the case. No question I hate parts of my job but that is like anything else I guess.

It's tough to balancing being a whipping boy for a bad round and standing up for yourself. I think situations like that occur throughout life and if you can approach each the correct way, good things will happen. You also get a great -- albeit farmers -- tan.

Cashier for WholeFoods.
Mail carrier for USPS.

I worked at Apple for two years. It was awesome, tried to do it while in medical school. I had the transfer and everything all ready to go, just had to accept, but after the first few weeks of school, I discovered it was so hard to find time to do anything besides study...

Dining Room Attendent --> Computer Tech --> Radiologic Technologist