Non-Science Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpottyGlassware

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an extra space in my schedule next semester that I'm looking to fill (since I'll be done with my minor and gen-eds, finishing up pre-reqs, and on track with my major). There's a course geared toward pre-meds that I really want to take, but there are only ten spots in it, and they tend to fill up quickly. In case I don't get into that class, what non-science classes have you all found to be the most useful/enjoyable?

Members don't see this ad.

Humanity courses such as x culture (where x = Japanese, Chilean, etc.) are always interesting. An advanced math course if you are so inclined. An independent project course. Many choices - depends on what you feel like putting in.

The other option would be to take nothing and just enjoy a lighter schedule.

I have to take 3 more hours to be considered a full-time student. I was wondering about cell biology or developmental psychology since I'm a chemistry major and haven't had much exposure to those fields beyond intro-level courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about medical ethics/bioethics until I found out that it conflicted with the physics section I want to take. I'd rather have a good professor for a required class than a cool elective and a terrible physics professor!
I guess cell bio isn't a non-science class, haha. Would it be bad to take both biochemistry and cell at the same time? I'm going to be studying for the MCAT next semester, so I don't want to overload myself with work-intensive classes. I'll also be taking Organic Lab II.

I was thinking about medical ethics/bioethics until I found out that it conflicted with the physics section I want to take. I'd rather have a good professor for a required class than a cool elective and a terrible physics professor!
I guess cell bio isn't a non-science class, haha. Would it be bad to take both biochemistry and cell at the same time? I'm going to be studying for the MCAT next semester, so I don't want to overload myself with work-intensive classes. I'll also be taking Organic Lab II.

I would not take biochem, cell, and organic lab at the same time. Those all tend to be labor-intensive courses, and you are right that you shouldn't overload during your MCAT semester. What about a speech or writing course? Just some practical life skill stuff.

Non-science classes I've enjoyed:

Bioethics
Anthropology of Medicine and Health
Any class on religion
Other ethics classes
Marine biology (still science but not premed related)
Philosophy classes

I loved my psych and philosophy courses. Ethics classes can be challenging and help in interview situations.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

Any liberal arts class with a small class size and a good professor will be dope. You learn a lot and it is a lot of fun. Also very easy to build relationships with other students and faculty

I'm thinking developmental psych now! It sounds interesting and people love the professor. Thanks for the input, everyone!