Non-science majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cults

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who had a non-science major,

Do you think your major helped your application stand out? Was your major brought up during interviews? Do you feel like it helped in any way?

Do you think your major ended up hurting your transition to optometry school? I.e. Did you have particular problems handling the science-heavy course load?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it does help show that you are a well rounded person if you have a non-science major and have done well in the prerequisite science classes. For me personally it wasn't easy at first making the transition into the science classes, but I adjusted and I love it. It was only briefly mentioned during my interviews, so I have no idea if that was a contributing factor or not. I think it may also depend on what the non-science major is - I'm not sure a degree in history would contribute too much to an optometry application. My degree is in business management, which will be useful in terms of the business side of optometry so it could have helped strengthen my application.

Heya, I am currently a first year optometry student. My original major was a dual major in marketing and public relations, then I completed the science pre-requs after. I finished them with a high science GPA (about 3.7-3.8), which is all they really look at along with OAT scores... It does show some well-roundedness to your overall college experience. My interviews only touched on it briefly, to which I discussed the many majors I had prior and my final conclusion that landed me to wanting to go to optometry school. Overall, as long as you perform well in the required science courses, the program you majored in most likely won't matter much.