Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

[non statistically significant] Cool "compare medical schools" site

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by docdude, Feb 23, 2007.

1. docdude

2+ Year Member

2. melissainsd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow. Thanks! It made me feel much better about the schools I have been accepted to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SuperHiro

SuperHiro Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's a terrific idea but they need to get more surveys done for the results to be meaningful IMO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Be a bit wary of this site. I don't know when the majority of the surveys were done, but I noticed the majority of surveys about one school talked about it being "new" and in its "first year" even though the school's been open since 1997.

Great site, but given how rapidly medical schools change curriculum and policies, I'd take the surveys with a grain of salt.

5. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Cool, very useful. This should be stickied in the allo forum, so we can boost the number of reviews

Are there any other sites that have personal reviews of medical schools by their students?

6. babel

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks - this is a great link! It really should be stickied..... It confirmed a lot of what I got out of my interviews, good and bad (which would have been great to know 9 months ago!). :)

7. OP
    OP
    docdude

2+ Year Member

Yo dudes, stop complaining about the website. It's not like any ranking is perfect :). Just use it as an additional procrastination/information tool. :) I don't think it's meant to be statistically significant with confidence intervals.

8. NervousNed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :eek: :eek: :( :) :D :mad: :p THIS IS FREGGIN AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Ladyfingers

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree, I tihnk the surveys are old. Some of the programs they were referring to I don't think even exist anymore.

Also, I think more surveys would need to be conducted. A couple disgruntled people can make scores bad or lower if there are only 10 or 15 surveys total.

10. ltrain

ltrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Haha, but they do report standard devs.

Which means we can calculate the confidence interval!

11. OP
    OP
    docdude

2+ Year Member

You're a standard deviation!

um, you go to MIT, so obviously you'd pick up on that :) :).

12. ltrain

ltrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

lol. Yeah, as soon as I posted that I realized that not only is it Friday night, but I just wrote post that contained the words "standard dev" and "confidence interval", and not only that, but I thought it was funny, too.

Okay, enough nerd talk. Thanks for the site...if nothing else, some of the text comments are informative.

13. OP
    OP
    docdude

2+ Year Member

On a serious note - would it be possible to create a sticky that listed interesting/useful/informative websites for us to peruse in our procrastination/stress/anxious moments?

14. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agreed. At least some of the info on there is pretty ancient and no longer accurate for some places. I wouldn't put much stock into it as a current resource. In fact, if a school doesn't seem to have changed much in the last decade, that's probably a bad thing.