Non trad 2019-2020 cycle, what is my chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex1991

Reaction score
Hi guys, non trad student here, im applying this cycle 2019-2020. I retook my mcat on 3/29/2019 with a score of 506 (126/125/127/128) much more balance compared to my 1st attempt of 494 (my cars was 122). Will this retake be counted against me?
I currently have 90 cumulative credits with all pre-req for medical school completed. My GPA and sGPA are 4.0 ( so far)
I immigrated to America when i was 17 so English is not my 1st language.
Got my AA at a state college in 2011 and AS in radiography (x-ray tech) in 2013 and i've been working full time in the field since ( from trauma level II to pediatric hospital). I think i can get 2 great letters from 2 of my science professors, 1 from ER doc (DO) and 1 from radiologist (MD). I don't have any official shadowing experience but i work with different doctors every day. Will this count as shadowing experience?
I volunteered from 2010-2011 at a local hospital in in-patient rehab for 178 hours.
I'm taking classes in summer 2019 at state university and will finish my bachelor in biology in May 2020.
I have no research experience and no military background.
My state of residence is Florida.
I'm planning to apply to:
NOVA (MD and DO) florida
FAU (MD) florida
Lake Erie (DO) florida
FSU (MD) florida
UCF (MD) florida
ATSU-SOMA in arizona (DO)
ARIZONA COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE OF MIDWESTERN UNIVERSITY (DO)
PCOM georgia (DO)
UNIVERSITY OF THE INCARNATE WORD SCHOOL OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE (DO) in texas
What are my chances?
Thank guys!

Members don't see this ad.

506 on a retake is going to be tight to get into MD schools, though in-state is still worth applying to. I would apply to more DO schools as you don't want to risk having to wait another year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current MS-2 and Florida resident here!

Your stats sound just like mine when I applied. I had similar MCAT scores. I applied the first time with my lower score, then reapplied after retaking the MCAT. I ended up getting a few interviews in Florida, and was waitlisted at two of the schools. Ultimately, I decided to attend a medical school out of state.

Your MCAT retake shouldn't be an issue. Honestly, schools really like students who have medical background. I truly believe that will be to your benefit. Plus, you have a solid GPA. Just apply early, and get your secondaries in ASAP. Stay in contact with schools - call, ask about updates. Let the school see that you're interested and that you're a serious contender. GOODLUCK!! :giggle:

Thank you guys for your inputs. I really hope i can get in 2020 so i can start medical school as i'm getting older compared to my peers.
I'm really counting on medical school weighing on my clinical experience as that is my strong point beside my GPA.
Cross my fingers!