Non-trad 32R, cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.68 -all grades this millenium=A/A-, HELP PLEASE!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAP111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been toying around with the idea of posting here for quite some time. I have let my fear of hearing discouraging remarks from people who may know less than I do about the process dissuade me until now. I have seen that there seem to be some genuinely helpful people on here who seem to know what they're talking about.

In 1998 and 2000 I signed up for 6 community college classes (total of both times), never attended and never withdrew (those are 6 F's on my record). From 1999-2002, I sporadically enrolled at a school and got all A's and B+'s except for one more F in 1999 (my cGPA at that school was 3.0). In 2008 I decided to go back to school and returned to the same school where I got the 6 F's. Within my time there this final time, I decided I wanted to become a doctor and transferred to a 4 year university for all of my prereq's (except English).

Since Fall 2008 I have completed over 100 credits (108 by the end of this summer) without a single grade lower than an "A-". My GPA is north of 3.9 in that time, although it might drop a bit if I get a B+ in Biochem, in which I am currently enrolled.

I got a 32R on the MCAT while finishing a year of 18 credits per semester, which saw the birth of my son, all while supporting our family (that's my way of excusing myself for not doing any better =) ). I have been an EMT for over a year and employed at an ambulance company for 9 months. I have also been a research assistant for almost one year. I won first place at my university's undergraduate research symposium. In addition, I founded 2 halfway houses for alcoholics and drug addicts in recovery in 2006 which I still help run. In the years between dropping out of highschool when I was 16 (didn't think I wanted anything to do with higher education) and my return to school in 2008, I worked on Wall Street at Smith Barney & UBS (worked my way up from 'mailroom' at SB), and eventually cofounded the halfway houses which led me to wanting to do something a bit more 'noble' with my life. I am currently 32 years old.

All that being said, I am PETRIFIED that I'm going to be glazed over by admissions committees because of an unrepresentative GPA. It is low because of some EXTREMELY stupid mistakes I made over a decade ago. Had I known I was going to end up doing all of this, and the dedication which it would entail, I probably would not have returned to the same school I enrolled at years ago. So be it, it was time to face the demons. In actuality though, it's been over a decade and 105 credits since I received a grade lower than an A-.

I want to become an exceptional physician. Other than my family's health, that's really ALL I want. Does anyone know of an even remotely similar situation that may have ended well? Does anyone know how the different GPAs are anlyzed from different years EXACTLY?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know the answers to your questions specifically, but I think that you will be a great applicant. Sure, your cGPA will be a bit low (Your sGPA is above average, so that will be great for adcoms to see). But your ECs are really cool, especially starting two halfway houses.

I predict that your GPA will be far less of a problem than you are worried about.

Your GPA will show up by year in school on the report that goes to the schools. So they will see your BCPM GPA, AO (All other) GPA, and Total GPA broken down by freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years.

Some posters here on SDN have had retroactive withdrawals for courses they never attended. This may be something worth pursuing for those F's. Here's one instance http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=834731

Do you have a school list started?

Do you have shadowing hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have already submitted my AMCAS and am waiting to be verified. I have applied to 17 schools from #1 ranking to #100. I am a Florida resident, but really want to get my family out of South Florida. Almost embarassed to say I applied to Harvard and Johns Hopkins because of some of the disparaging remarks I've seen in other threads. JH in particular I have heard likes the 'non-trads.'

I have 30 or so shadowing hours with an Interventional Radiologist. He was a friend before he was a person I shadowed, and was one of my character reference recommendation letters. (UF requires a 'peer' letter)

I am hoping you are right about not being passed over. I guess that breakdown by year will help, as the only classes I didn't get A's in were considered part of the first semester of my freshman year. I spent the last year looking for ways to get those initial grades off my transcript, but I could not. Even academic amnesty at the school kept the grades on the transcript. If I get interviews, I believe I can demonstrate that those negatives yesterday shaped me into a positive today.

I do really appreciate your feedback. Are you applying this year as well?

like you, i'm a nontrad- I suggest you head on over to that forum where you'll find a lot of support and plenty of people in similar circumstances.
with that said, I agree that your life story weighs over your gpa especially because your grades have been very good since you've decided to buckle down- you're academically capable of medical school which is really what they want to know.
I would make an effort to contact your top choice adcoms and see if you can get a phone "Q&A" where you'll be able to put a voice to your application and can ask them specific questions regarding your application. It shows your serious, and if they like you over the phone, they'll remember your name when it crosses their desk.
Best of luck!