[Non-Trad] Applying for next cycle, should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Judajudo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the DAT 2 days ago and I did a lot better than I thought I would. Based on stats alone, this might sound really neurotic, but from what I hear, folks in my situation need to score really well to overlook the amount of time we've been away from school/how old my pre-reqs are.

DAT results:
PA - 23 - I had like 4 rocks in my key hole question. It was awful.
QR - 19 - A score other folks might be happy with, but this is really embarrassing for me because I have a degree in math. I ran out of time and pretty much guessed the last 4-5 questions.
RC- 20
BIO - 20
GC - 21
OC - 23
TS - 21
AA - 21

Stats:
oGPA - 3.4
sGPA - 3.5

Other factors that may be considered:
Working in healthcare IT, lead projects and teams, advised managers, directors, and C-suite executives of huge Hosipital groups for the last 7 years.
Lots of varied volunteer hours (200+ hours)

If I had just graduated, or even graduated 1 or 2 years ago, I wouldn't be nervous about these stats at all. but I took Gen chem and cell bio 10 years ago and O chem and physics 9 years ago. I got advice from other folks who have been out of school for 5+ years (general time cut off for pre-reqs being valid) that most schools would overlook the time since I took those pre-reqs as long as I did well on the DAT, but I don't know if my GC score was good enough to show that (I think I am okay on the O chem side with my score)

Should I retake the DAT to get a better score? I think I am most worried about my QR score. I feel like anyone who is looking at it would ask why its my lowest score when I have a degree in Math. I should also add that I am Asian, which I think usually means I have to have bit higher stats on average.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just took the DAT 2 days ago and I did a lot better than I thought I would. Based on stats alone, this might sound really neurotic, but from what I hear, folks in my situation need to score really well to overlook the amount of time we've been away from school/how old my pre-reqs are.

DAT results:
PA - 23 - I had like 4 rocks in my key hole question. It was awful.
QR - 19 - A score other folks might be happy with, but this is really embarrassing for me because I have a degree in math. I ran out of time and pretty much guessed the last 4-5 questions.
RC- 20
GC - 21
OC - 23
TS - 21
AA - 21

Stats:
oGPA - 3.4
sGPA - 3.5

Other factors that may be considered:
Working in healthcare IT, lead projects and teams, advised managers, directors, and C-suite executives of huge Hosipital groups for the last 7 years.
Lots of varied volunteer hours (200+ hours)

If I had just graduated, or even graduated 1 or 2 years ago, I wouldn't be nervous about these stats at all. but I took Gen chem and cell bio 10 years ago and O chem and physics 9 years ago. I got advice from other folks who have been out of school for 5+ years (general time cut off for pre-reqs being valid) that most schools would overlook the time since I took those pre-reqs as long as I did well on the DAT, but I don't know if my GC score was good enough to show that (I think I am okay on the O chem side with my score)

Should I retake the DAT to get a better score? I think I am most worried about my QR score. I feel like anyone who is looking at it would ask why its my lowest score when I have a degree in Math. I should also add that I am Asian, which I think usually means I have to have bit higher on stats on average.

No! You're dat is great. Being non trad actually helps you. I think having life experience is very good for school. The thing I would do is contact schools and explain your situation and see what they say. I think from what you say as your life experience you seem like a very hard working guy and schools love that. QR is the section they regard the least. Kill your personal statement and get amazing recommendation letters and you will be in great shape. Apply broadly and I'm sure you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Great scores! Nice and consistent. Goes well with your GPA too. No need to retake

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. Thank you so much for the adivice folks!!