Non-Trad. considering optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesfan

UMSL Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 34 wife and mother of two (4 year old and 22 month old) who is applying for optometry school entering in fall 2009. I would like to know if any of you have any insights you could share with me, especially if you were also a non-traditional student with kids. My biggest concern is missing out on time with my children but I am entering the optometry field assuming that I will be able to provide a better life for my family and have a rewarding career for myself.

I have a Masters in Public Health and have worked in the field for 10 years. I enjoy what I do but I am not fulfilled. I have researched many degree fields and think that optometry is a great fit for me. I originally had the desire to go to medical school but I am concerned about the extra years of training after school and the time away from my kids. I don't want to miss out on their entire childhood!

I have very good friends of mine who are optometrists and who have told me that I would make a great optometrist. Two are practicing optometrists in Atlanta and one is a current 4th year optometry student.

My other big concern is financial. Although I currently only work part-time, I am concerned about the lack of income during the time in school and also the amount of debt that I will accrue. Is all of the debt worth it? I will be entering the profession 10 years "late" and will have that much less time to pay off student loans and save for retirement. Any thoughts?

I appreciate any feedback/comments that you have. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Masters in Public Health and have worked in the field for 10 years. I enjoy what I do but I am not fulfilled.

Sorry I don't have any advice for a non-trad as I went to Optometry school right out of undergrad. I found it interesting that you have an MPH "but are not fulfilled" by your work.

I have an OD, was not fulfilled by optometry so went back and got my MPH (although I still predominantly practice optometry). I say this to point out how different people are and how difficult it is to give advice.

It is true you will go into debt but you really shouldn't have any difficulty living comfortably and paying your debt off.

I know of many women who had children either before or during optometry school. All were able to make it work. If you have good time management abilities and a strong support network around you it will be fine.

Good luck and optometry can use more OD, MPHs!

bluesfan,

I am a non-traditional student in optometry school. You can PM me if you need any information...

Members don't see this ad :)
This topic actually has been covered a few times. A search of old threads might give you some good info. Good luck!

bluesfan,

I am a non-traditional student in optometry school. You can PM me if you need any information...

Yes, then you can practice optometric gynecology and psychiatry, just like Dr. Oculomotor!

I have an OD, was not fulfilled by optometry so went back and got my MPH (although I still predominantly practice optometry).

Can you share your experience with this? What did you learn, and is the OD/MPH useful? My impression is that it is primarily a statistics and (epidemiological) research degree.

Last edited:
Can you share your experience with this? What did you learn, and is the OD/MPH useful? My impression is that it is primarily a statistics and (epidemiological) research degree.

I considered the MPH heavily before applying for the PhD.

The MPH is an interesting degree. The variety within the degree is amazing. You can get an MPH in anything from biostats, epi, to behavioural sciences/health education, health policy and global health.

I can only speak to the global health program at Emory University. It is a very general degree with a little of everything thrown in. I took epi, a lot of biostats and a lot of policy/management/social science classes. An MPH in global health doesn't set you up to be an expert in anything rather it lays a foundation that you must build upon in your career. It really sets one up to be a policy person or to work in the field developing/monitoring projects and programs.

Is an OD/MPH useful? It really depends on what you want to accomplish in your life. I went to optometry school with the strong desire to do overseas volunteer work. On the three trips I went on as a student I began to question the efficacy of the volunteer/used spectacles in a suitcase style trips used by optometrists.

As I began my career I realized that clinical care was not my favourite thing in the world and I would rather do something that left a lasting change on populations. I figured that the MPH would give me some basic skills that could open doors to organizations active in global eyecare.

After graduating with my MPH 2 years ago I'm still practicing optometry although I've been able to publish a couple of papers that I hope help forward the work western optometrists do overseas. I'm still trying to find something else to do and have met a lot of great OD, MPHers doing a lot of good in the world.

There is actually an OD, MPH working at the CDC now (in a domestic program. Diabetes?) which is exciting.

That's it in a nutshell.

Hi there,I just read your reply to 34 year old mom,I appreciate if you could answer my question too.I am in a very similar position (I have two children 10 years old and 23 months)and I am 35.I am preparing pre-requisites for O.D .My only concern is that if Optometry schools will allow students to take lighter course load while they are in the program,or maybe taking some courses in summer,or online.Do I need much more time for studying when I am an oD student or is it similar to an undergrad bio major?thank's a lot for your help.

bluesfan,

Dear iwh77,

Although I have not heard of any such official arrangement, I do know that students have taken 5 years to graduate for one reason or another. I do believe, though, that they would normally have to make up these classes sometime during the regular year because most are taught in the normal school term,

What makes this a timing problem is the National Boards. They are given in conjunction with the completion of the didactic basic courses, e.g. end of Year 2. You might not be able to take them with your year group if you delay taking your courses.

The most difficult part of timing or scheduling classes are probably the lab portions of the basic courses. These may last several hours and may be spread out to the evenings or even the weekends.

I don't believe any of the basic science courses can be taken "online"

Hope this helps.

I can only speak for PCO, but as far as I know, there is no options for a lighter courseload because of our clinical rotations. you will be taking online and summer courses on top of mostly regular lectures. Our first year is very full and is 8-5 almost every day. It supposedly lightens up after that. My good friend here is basically a single mom (her husband didn't move here with her) and has a 4 year old and a 2 year old and she is making it work just fine. She doesn't have any extra time thats for sure, but if you can manage it, it can be done. There are several people in our class that have kids. I have heard of a 5 year program at NOVA, but don't know anything about it. Might be worth looking into.

I am a 34 wife and mother of two (4 year old and 22 month old) who is applying for optometry school entering in fall 2009. I would like to know if any of you have any insights you could share with me, especially if you were also a non-traditional student with kids. My biggest concern is missing out on time with my children but I am entering the optometry field assuming that I will be able to provide a better life for my family and have a rewarding career for myself.

I have a Masters in Public Health and have worked in the field for 10 years. I enjoy what I do but I am not fulfilled. I have researched many degree fields and think that optometry is a great fit for me. I originally had the desire to go to medical school but I am concerned about the extra years of training after school and the time away from my kids. I don't want to miss out on their entire childhood!

I have very good friends of mine who are optometrists and who have told me that I would make a great optometrist. Two are practicing optometrists in Atlanta and one is a current 4th year optometry student.

My other big concern is financial. Although I currently only work part-time, I am concerned about the lack of income during the time in school and also the amount of debt that I will accrue. Is all of the debt worth it? I will be entering the profession 10 years "late" and will have that much less time to pay off student loans and save for retirement. Any thoughts?

I appreciate any feedback/comments that you have. Thanks!

TBH, if I were in your position, I would not pursue optometry due to its unstability in virtually every area, such as Practice Style(corporate/private) for example.

Thank you for your replies,Knowing the fact that ,yes ,there are moms in optometry classes is very encouraging for me.you mentioned classes are 8-5 in the first year,how many hours do I need to study after class ,3 hrs every evening would be enough?and my other question,Is admission to Berkely more difficult than other schools in US(I know I have to prepare more pre-requisites,and what required GPA is ).I mean is it tougher to graduate from this school?

Thank you for your replies,Knowing the fact that ,yes ,there are moms in optometry classes is very encouraging for me.you mentioned classes are 8-5 in the first year,how many hours do I need to study after class ,3 hrs every evening would be enough?and my other question,Is admission to Berkely more difficult than other schools in US(I know I have to prepare more pre-requisites,and what required GPA is ).I mean is it tougher to graduate from this school?

http://www.opted.org/files/public/Profile2007EnteringClass.pdf

What makes this a timing problem is the National Boards. They are given in conjunction with the completion of the didactic basic courses, e.g. end of Year 2. You might not be able to take them with your year group if you delay taking your courses.

Just wanted to clarify this statement. Beginning this year, Boards part 1 are now taken in the spring (March) of your 3rd year.

make sure optometry is what you really want and are interested in. the 4 years go bye quick but there is alot of work and comitment in studying and etc......Choose wisely.
Anything else you need to know, from schooling to actually practicing the art and science of optometry ask oculomotr. oh great one. Our next Nobel prize winner and leader of Optometry.