Non-trad engineer here. I think I have some potential but really need feedback.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engr2md

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got by BS & MS from USC in civil engineering in 2016. I have been working in the field since graduation but decided to go to UCLA extension to complete my premed requirements in 2018.

Fast forward 2 years, here are my stats:

• cGPA 3.74 sGPA 3.63
  • MCAT = 520 (131/129/131/129)
  • Full time engineer with 4 years experience and PE license
  • 100 hrs volunteering at company non-profit: engineers week, stem day, charity event planning
  • 50 hrs volunteering at small nonprofit with underserved/refugee youth, teaching about career advice/guidance.
  • 50 hrs volunteering at local hospital.
  • Only 1 letter of rec (from company volunteer program coordinator). Lecturers from UCLA extension said they might write me one but never came through.
Goal = Acceptance to an MD program. My dream is the Carle Illinois School of Medicine.

Questions:

• I have not yet submitted my AMCAS primary. Is it even worth applying for this cycle right now?
  • If I do apply next cycle, how can I use the following year to beef up my application and get letters of rec? I am still working full time as an engineer and barely pulled off what is listed above as is. Quit my job and go all in on this, volunteer at a hospital full time? Quit my job and try to find a healthcare startup to intern at?
  • With my stats and a year of work, is it possible to see acceptance to a T10 if I apply next cycle?
  • If I do not apply this cycle, I will be starting my masters of computer science in the fall. Is this something that would benefit my application? My thoughts in pursuing this additional degree is finding the intersection of medicine, artificial intelligence, and machine learning.

Members don't see this ad.