Non-trad fall schedule - Your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluidity of Movement

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, I hope this is the right forum.

I am currently planning to take Calc 1, Chem 1, and Phys 1 (algebra) over the fall at my community college. (12 credit total)

So far Ive pulled off 18 credits last fall, all A except a phys ed class, and now Im doing very well this semester too; and Im getting 95%+ on my bio exams and practicals under 17 credits.

Ive not taken any of the science/mth classes in HS (dropout), and my advisor told me that I could pull it off if I really put myself into it time wise. Im just nervous about trying to soak in 3 new intensive, dense subjects while keeping an "A" average.

my alternative would be to take chm 1+2 over the summer. that makes me nervous concerning grades as well, and if it is enough time for me to really soak in the info that I'll need down the road. I know if I get into med school then all of this will be trivial, but this is still my freshman year.

what do you guys think? I know I can get through it, but I dont want my grades to suffer. Ive been doing really well so far but Chem, phys, and calc are somewhat new topics for me.

Thanks for reading, peace and blessings to you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you took algebra 2 in high school, you should be able to pass all those classes with good grades. I don't see a problem. In fact, maybe consider adding one more class because 12 is on the low side. I took some courses like "general health" during my post-bacc on the side whenever there weren't enough science courses to get 15 units a semester.

Your advisor is right in saying you'll be successful, especially if you put in the time required and effort. These topics require practice in order to be successful. As long as you stay motivated and not lose sight of your destination of med school, then you should be set (You should always reflect upon the journey though of whatever you experienced as a student, the good and bad)

I'd have to say Calc is a completely different from Algebra and everything you've learned in the past--that's not a bad thing though. Some people say Calc is easy and have earned A's, others haven't had such an easy time, but through determination, they still passed with excellent marks. I think Calculus really opens new doors and lets you look at the world through a new lens or so to speak. It's an excellent topic to learn. If ever you have trouble in it, you could always refer to the tutors at the CC you attend. Calculus is generally limits, derivatives, transcendentals, anti-derivatives, finding area of abstract objects and so on. The main thing I'd recommend in Calc is that you practice, practice, practice. I think you'll do well though especially someone as motivated as yourself.

I always like to refer to these notes, their pretty helpful for me:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CalcI.aspx

Chemistry also requires practice in order to succeed. It's mainly algebra though regarding the math part and its important to read through the textbooks, in addition to paying attention during lecture and always asking questions to help better your understanding. I always enjoyed chemistry lab because they reinforce the topics you learned by making you apply them.

Whether you want to take Chem 1 and 2 in the summer time is generally based on yourself and how you can handle this kind of coursework. You seem like a a really motivated student and as long as your willing to put in the work, i'm sure you can do well. Another alternative I'd recommend would be, if you're willing, to take Chem 1 in the summer time and Chem 2 in fall.

Physics is the same as chem in which you can apply these learned topics to the real world (Theoretical physics is a bit different though) The ideas of velocity, oscillation, wavelength, momentum of particle, and so on are pretty straight forward.

Whatever path you decide to take to your destination, make the most of it.

If you took algebra 2 in high school, you should be able to pass all those classes with good grades. I don't see a problem. In fact, maybe consider adding one more class because 12 is on the low side. I took some courses like "general health" during my post-bacc on the side whenever there weren't enough science courses to get 15 units a semester.

Bio-nutrition is a pretty good course.