Non-trad question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Badger Girl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all my non-trad friends! I guess this could be a poll question, but I don't know how to do one of those.

How long did it take you to complete your pre-requisites before applying to vet school? I have hit a financial bump in the road and have decided that I will only take one class this semester, which will put me back a year b/c I was originally going to take chemistry this year. I'm paying for my pre-reqs out of my pocket and I just can't keep up with everything else that I'm paying for right now (mortgage and other debt!). Anyway, I'm feeling kind of down about it, but I don't want to give myself an ulcer over constantly worrying about financial stress. I have way too much credit card debt to put any classes on a card, which is why I decided to go this route.

Soooo.....I think it will be about 3 more years for me to get all my classes in. Just looking to see how everyone else went about it.

Thanks!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

It took me about 3 years also. Just a suggestion - I think it will help reduce vet school stress if you can get your finances in good shape before starting (even though it may take you longer to get there).

So I decided to pursue veterinary school something like 14 months ago. At which time I had a bachelors in computer science done, and as a part of it I had already completed Calc 1+2, Physics 1+2, 1 semester gen chem..

Classes taken since then

Summer 07
Chem 2 (4cr, A-)

Fall 07
Intro to Animal Science (4cr, A-)
Anatomy and Physiology of domestic Animals(non-upper level) (4cr, A)

Winter 08
Intro to Statistics (3cr, A)

Spring 08(first semester as a matriculated student, so I could actually get into classes)
Gen Bio 2 (4cr, A)
Genetics (3cr, A-)
Microbio (3cr, A-)
Organic chem 1 (3cr, A)

Summer 08
Gen Bio 1 (4cr, A)
Organic chem 2 (3cr, ?)
Organic lab 1 (1cr, A-)
Organic lab 2 (1cr,?)

With that it took me roughly 1 year to finish the remainder of what I had for requirements to get me to the point that I can apply this round.

Fall 08 I am taking:
Microbio Lab (3cr)
Freshman writing (3cr)
Cell and Molecular Bio (3cr)
Biochemistry (3cr)

Ive been working ~40 hours a week since the beginning of spring semester and its really started to take a toll on me. I am going to drop back to part time student status in the spring for my sanity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had a degree in CS, but had only taken Calc + the chem series up to Biochemistry I, not physics.

For me, I actually decided on getting a second bachelors rather than just taking the classes. I applied this past cycle, with no outstanding prerequisites at all. Here's the rough schedule of when I took the prereqs (this is pre-reqs only, I also had to take other classes for my second BS, all semesters were full loads or overloads):

Fall 2005:
Gen Bio I
Biochem II

Spring 2006:
Gen Bio II
Genetics
Microbiology + lab

Summer 2006:
Physiology

Fall 2006:
Physics I
Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy

Spring 2007:
Statistics

Summer 2007
Physics II

So for me, 2 years with a lot of other classes (and research and TAing) interspersed with them. It's certainly do-able to finish the prereqs alone in a year or a year and a half with careful planning and a lot of hard work, though.

I had an undergrad degree in chemical engineering and had also taken some biology and biochem out of interest at that time. I did the remainder of my prerequisites one at a time while working full-time. Total time elapsed was 2 years, but as you can see I didn't take courses continuously.

Genetics: Fall 2006
Marine Biology: Winter 2006
Physiology: Spring 2006

Immunology: Summer 2007
Biology II (evolution/botany/ecology): Summer 2008

it took me 4 years - my degrees are in IT so I had no science classes:

Fall 2004 - Intro to Gen Chem (had to take b/f I could take Chem I)
Winter 2005 - Intro to Organic Chem (recommended to me)/Bio I
Fall 2005 - Bio II/Gen Chem I
Winter 2006 - Anatomy & Physiology (not a pre-req - took to see if I could handle a class like this)/Gen Chem II
Summer 2006 - Microbiology (lab included with lecture)
Fall 2006 - Organic I/Biochem/Physics I (dropped back to part-time at work this semester)
Winter 2007 - Organic II/Genetics/Physics II
applied summer 2007
Summer 2007 - Organic Lab/Medical Terminology (sounded interesting - I was asked about this class during my interview at Mich. State (if I had liked it, what I had learned, and why I took it)
Fall 2007 - Nutrition (req for Mich. State), gen eds for 2nd degree (art history, spanish I), Medical Biochem (sounded interesting)
Winter 2008 - Cell Biology (req for Mich. State), Spanish II (spanish I was fun :)), Pathology (sounded interesting), Endocrinology (sounded interesting)

my physics and microbiology classes had labs included with the lecture so I didn't need to take separate lab classes.. I worked 40+ hours a week during 2004, 2005, and winter of 2006... for my sanity, I dropped back to 30 hours a week during summer 2007 and stayed at 30 hours a week until my winter 2008 semester ended... I then went back full-time to put as much money in the bank as I could b/f starting vet school

good luck :luck:

My experience is similar to Rustysmom's...my previous BA was in a completely non-science related field:

Summer 2004: Speech (required for BS), Physics I
Fall 2004: Physics II, Chem I, Intro to computers (required for BS)
Spring 2005: Bio I, Chem II, Calc II
Summer 2005: Organic I
Fall 2005: Bio II, Microbiology, Western Civ (required for BS)
Spring 2006: Cell bio, Biochem, Pathogenic Bacteria (required for major), World religions (required for BS)
Summer 2006: Eng I (required for BS even though I had a previous BA!), Ecology (required for major), Genetics
Fall 2006: Immunology, Parasitology, other stuff for BS
Spring 2007: Organic II, Botany (required for major), other stuff for BA

-I think if I hadn't gone for the BS I could have gotten it done in 2-2.5 yrs.

My plans have changed a bit, and I'm pursuing a BS first now, rather than just getting my pre-vet prerequisites. Given that my ultimate goal is some form of public health, we thought it would be wise to get my BS first, which should take about 2-3 years tops since most of my gen eds should transfer.

There are varying factors for me, but my hope is to get into the laboratory sciences first, and then pursue vet school from there. Most of the credits I need for vet school are included in the BS program anyway.

I've decided that it's better for me to do this in steps and take things one at a time and pursue it when I'm ready, rather than on a timeline. Trying to meet personal timeline goals just adds pressure. So I'll probably be ready to apply for vet school sometime in the next 5 years. I want to graduate and spend some time in the field first.

It took me nearly ten years, but I had some time off during those years.
Well, if you take out the children and breastfeeding, it took me more like 5. The majority of the work was done in the last two years after I transferred to UIUC. One of the five years was spent taking garbage that wouldn't transfer. :smuggrin:
It's very important to check with the school you want to transfer to, or your local U about what will actually transfer.

Hummmm, this is an interesting question. Lets see....I finished most of my pre-reqs from 1988 to 1992. Most of those classes were traditional 12 credit hour semester (with a year off when I had some personal stuff going on-like most people it seems). First application to vetschool in 1992..rejected bc of a "D" in organic chemistry (erg!) Attended LVT school 92-94, Full-time and worked part-time. In 1996, I started working on my BS degree (Health Science Education-no science courses). I didnt reapply to vet school until 2000 at which time I took Microbiology and Genetics (didnt need those back in 1992) and finished up my BS. In 2002, I started retaking prerequisites for the schools that have "older than __ years" rule. Courses Ive repeated:

General Chem 1 & 2 (lab included) took together over the summer
Organic Chem 1 & 2
Biology 1 & 2
Biochemistry (planned for Spring 09)

After 1994, all courses were taken part-time while I worked 40+ hours and had 3 kids.

So...overall I guess thats 20 years:eek:

Thanks guys. :D Everyone truly does have their own unique path to vet school. I guess it isn't that outrageous after all if it takes me three (or a little longer) years to finish the classes I need. More time to get shadowing experience in is a good way to look at it. I just get so dang impatient at times, where I want to just to finish everything as quickly as possible. In the end, I think it's just more practical for me to take a little more time.

It's good advice to be in a comfortable place financially before heading to vet school. It will take me about three years I figure to get out of my credit card debt (from when I was young and foolish!!).

Good luck everyone still plugging away!! :luck:

Unlike other non-trads, I do not have an undergrad degree that I am refreshing - I started from scratch after being out of high school for exactly 20 years. I spend almost the entire first year just taking classes to catch me up and get me ready for the basics. This did so much for my self esteem! :(

The next year my stepson battled cancer, and I reduced my classload to give me time to be with him. I am now a "fourth year junior".

I had a chance to meet with an admissions dean during a vet school's open house and discussed my path with him. He told me that they look at the "whole" student. He commented that life happens, and because of that they look at what is happening in the student's life that explains their transcripts. They do read the statements on the applications, and this is where we need to explain that we're not taking a year off to lay on the beach or "find ourself".

Guess that's why non-trads are considered "special". Whatever that means.:laugh:

My background in business (BS in Business Admin), so I've taken Calc and all the 'liberal arts' requirements, but I still have all the science requirements. By my calculations it'll take me 2 years to do the pre-reqs and then I'm going to spend a semester taking classes that I think will help. So overall 2.5 years. I just began though, so it's bound to change.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a chance to meet with an admissions dean during a vet school's open house and discussed my path with him. He told me that they look at the "whole" student. He commented that life happens, and because of that they look at what is happening in the student's life that explains their transcripts. They do read the statements on the applications, and this is where we need to explain that we're not taking a year off to lay on the beach or "find ourself".

Guess that's why non-trads are considered "special". Whatever that means.:laugh:

That's reassuring!

I finished my double B.S. in biology and chemistry in 2005. I didn't realize while in undergrad. that I would decide to go to Vet school, and so wasn't looking at prereqs. Genetics was not required, and since it never fit into my schedule (it always coincided with courses required for my Chem degree or some other required course), I didn't take it. Nor did I take the Microbiology elective. And my college didn't offer Animal Nutrition or Animal Science.

The summer between my junior and senior years, I gave birth to my first child. I started working full-time in a biomedical research laboratory right out of college. I was at that job for about 2 years, not including the time I took off for maternity leave when my second child was born. I decided while at that job that I wanted to pursue Vet School. I was laid off (funding issues), and then took a job in another research laboratory. However, I left the job after a few months because of the combination of having a strenuous pregnancy (I was pregnant with my third at that point) and raising my husband's pre-teen brother (a fairly troubled child) while my husband was several states away for a military school with very little contact to home and no ability to help out, in addition to caring for my other two children. After leaving that job, I moved to be with my husband as he graduated that school and started another.

So, here I am now with a 1 month old, a 21 month old, and a 4 year old (my husband's pre-teen brother is now back with his mother). I had planned at the beginning of this year to be able to apply this fall, but I'm not prepared to apply. So now I'm planning on applying next fall, but I need to take courses (depending on which schools I decide I definitely want to apply to), retake the GRE general test, take the Biology subject test, and spend more time getting animal and vet experience. If only a money tree would sprout in my front yard, then I wouldn't have a worry in the world about quality childcare while I pursue this. So we'll see just how long it takes me and whether I really do end up in grad school before my husband!

Sounds like you'll have some awesome life experience to discuss with those adcoms!

So I'm curious... you say you are planning to take the biology GRE, so I'm assuming that you are thinking of UGA or OKSU?

Sounds like you'll have some awesome life experience to discuss with those adcoms!

So I'm curious... you say you are planning to take the biology GRE, so I'm assuming that you are thinking of UGA or OKSU?

I'm definitely applying to Oklahoma State. I haven't decided on UGA yet.

Eh....just realized I never changed my location here when I moved. :) I'm from Oklahoma originally. My husband and I moved to Boston for college. If I hadn't started dating him and he hadn't been going to college in Cambridge, MA, then I would have attended OSU for undergrad. He was also in the Marine Reserves, retaining his home-of-address in Oklahoma. Now he's active duty (for the time being) and we're living in Virginia.

Last edited:
It took me about 3 and a half or so years after having graduated with an English degree, but I had started off pre-med and so I already had a few of the basic science courses. Lost one year to Katrina.

If you're determined, you'll get there. And I think it gives you a certain advantage, both in the eyes of the admissions committee and once you get into vet school--the harder you've had to work for it, the more you will appreciate the opportunity.

The financial aspect is difficult for anyone without a trust fund, especially those who pay out-of-state tuition. It's a juggling act, and most of us will graduate with over $100,000 of debt--but with any luck, we'll be able to pay it off eventually and enjoy our careers.

As an extension of this question... at what point did you apply? Were you 100% done your pre-reqs, were you working on your last few? When did it make sense for you to apply.

I could probably push it and take more classes at once and apply Fall '09, but I think I'll probably wait 'til Fall '10 when I'll be a bit more competitive. But I haven't decided anything for sure.

If you were gonna apply this cycle, you probably need to have gotten your rec letters in order by now at least...professors and vets usually need some time and maybe a reminder or two. :p

If you really haven't prepared at all yet I'd say you should probably wait until next year.

If you were gonna apply this cycle, you probably need to have gotten your rec letters in order by now at least...professors and vets usually need some time and maybe a reminder or two. :p

If you really haven't prepared at all yet I'd say you should probably wait until next year.
my debate is between '09 and '10 application years (for the classes entering '10 or '11), I'm definitely NOT ready for this cycle.

My question really is, how many pre-reqs did you have left to do when you applied? Was it a few or none? or what?

I wouldn't rush yourself if you don't have to. Personally, I could be applying now but I'm waiting until next year because I'd like to make some improvements to my stats (and GPA moves very, very slowly ;)) I would hate to cram too much into one semester and then really start to regret it halfway through. Only take what you know you can handle because getting good grades in pre-reqs is very important. And, take it from me... if you don't so as well as you'd like, it's not very easy to fix.

Some schools state that you can only have one or two pre-reqs left to take when you apply, and some schools don't want you to have any left at all. You should look at the schools that you're really interested in and see what their requirements are for pre-reqs. That alone might make the decision for you!

I had finished all of my prerequisites when I applied, but that's just the way it worked out--I would have preferred to apply earlier. I don't see any reason to wait a whole extra year if you don't have to. The sooner you get into vet school, the sooner you graduate and can start paying off all those loans...

The worst thing that can happen is they reject you and you have to reapply the next year. In that case, hopefully it will give you an idea of what deficiencies you might have in your application and give you time to remedy them. Many vet students have had to apply more than once, and it sounds like admissions committees have a certain respect for people who are persistent enough to do it all over again. One of my classmates told me she was rejected on her first round, so she moved to the area and got a tech job in the school teaching hospital. At the next year's interview, she told the committee she planned on working in the hospital and reapplying every year until they let her in!

One of my classmates told me she was rejected on her first round, so she moved to the area and got a tech job in the school teaching hospital. At the next year's interview, she told the committee she planned on working in the hospital and reapplying every year until they let her in!

Did she get accepted that round? I was told that that is *the* worst thing you can say to an adcom...(?)

Did she get accepted that round? I was told that that is *the* worst thing you can say to an adcom...(?)

Hey, I thought it was "I want to be a vet because I LOVE animals" :p

I kind of like the "threat"! Hey it worked!

I had no science other than Computer Science and Physics before restarting school. I worked part time and matriculated in Fall '03. I received a B.S. Biology, including prereqs that weren't required for the major, in Spring '05.