Non-Trad seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ntran1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

I wanted to see if I could pick everyone's brain in regards to my situation. I had originally started as a music production major when I was a freshman. After freshman year I ran into some financial troubles which prevented me from attending my expensive school and I transferred into state school where I chose a different major because they did not offer my major. Unfortunately I did not perform so well in these classes (business, english, and math) pulling 4 Fs :( During this time I helped start a business which made it very difficult to attend class which hindered my ability to perform in these classes. Being 19 and foolish, for some reason I did not withdraw. After a year passed and with the business doing very well I returned to my original school where I did fairly well and managed to graduate when I was supposed to by taking heavier course loads and summer classes.

I worked for a year and was not happy. I am now back doing a post-bacc at harvard extension school. again I am doing pretty well, but sadly my performance that one semester pulls my gpa down to about ... cGPA and a ... sGPA. I've calculated that if I pull of As in my biology and anatomy I can squeak by with a ...cGPA and a ... sGPA.

What does everyone think I should be doing to make myself the most competitive for admission? I am taking the MCAT in may and want to apply for the 2012 enter class.

Current situation:
...cGPA
... sGPA
1 yr volunteering at Children's Hospital Boston
1 yr research for Harvard Medical School
I have strong letters from my PI and an english professor so far

I know I still need pod shadowing and mcat, but if anyone has any advice on what could really help my chances, I am all ears!! maybe wait another year to apply?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know I still need pod shadowing and mcat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

- Exactly, probably the two most important things you need to do to really get any meaningful advice from current pod students who have gotten in or admission advisers from other schools. Honestly, you will probably have to do really well no that MCAT to have a chance my opinion would be like 24+, but that is just me. Also, you might shadow a Pod and hate it and change your mind, or love it. But I think you really need to get an MCAT score and shadow a Pod to get a better idea of what you are getting into and to understand how competitive you truly are with a MCAT score. GL!

thanks for responding!!

I really can't wait to start shadowing. It's frustrating trying to get past old mistakes. Anyone ever feel like their old gpa feels like a bad ghost just lingering around? It pops up once in a while and scares you to death. that's how I feel at least a couple times a week :mad: haha