Non-trad student looking towards Post-bac and beyond.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed68w

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm new to SDN but was recommended to post on here by a friend. As the title states, I'm a Non-trad student looking to apply to post-bac programs with hopes of becoming an MD one day. To give some context on my situation, I started school in the Fall of 16' as an education major, changed my major to nursing, and then further learned that I would like to be an MD so I changed my major once again to Biology on the pre-med track. I struggled with time management during those ~ three years as I was a D2 student-athlete, volunteer, and worked part-time jobs all the way through. Looking back, I just did too much and took too much time away from studying so after my junior year I was sitting with roughly a 3.0 CGPA. My non-science GPA at the time was near a 4.0 but my science GPA was around 2.8-2.9. I did not have a great relationship with my professors and I did not enjoy life so I enlisted in the Army National Guard and became a 68 W (Combat Medic). I returned to studying for my undergrad degree at a different university in the spring of 20' and had to change my major to public health on the pre-med track to even come close to graduating any time soon. Well, here I am with one more year left to graduate (Spring 22') and while I've found success in my major at my new university (~3.7-3.8 GPA) my old core science courses are looming over me and I haven't taken them over again. I've completed the last year of school while working full time to afford my education and I'm currently activated as a vaccinator for the National Guard and have achieved 50% Post-9/11 Gi-bill, nearing 60%. If you're still here reading this, I thank you for your time and you can finally hear what I'm looking for :). I'm wondering if anybody could help me narrow down some reputable post-bac programs I should look into. I've done extensive research and have even had an info session with Dr. Ryan Grey and narrowed down that my only shot to Med school is really going to be kicking butt during a post-bac (SMP was not recommended). One of the predicaments I'm running into is that many of the "career-changer" programs that would suit my situation (taking the pre-reqs over again) don't like students that have already taken the courses. Would doing well in a "record enhancement" post-bac overshadow my non-stellar core classes? I was told there's a person or program known as Goro that may be able to help? Haha, any advice or any post-bac experiences are genuinely appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time! I hope to hear from some of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for the reply. Would you recommend any threads speaking to different post-bac programs and different students' experiences with them. I do realize there is a "search" function, but I figure I should ask if there is a *Gold Standard* to look at before I dive deeper in. Thank you!
You'll need to search this thread.