non-trad student, low GPA, US schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Squeaksmom

pathologically stubborn... 3rd time's the charm
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same old story... made mistakes right out of highschool and have a low cumulative GPA (it's about 2.8). I came back as a mature student, and now I'm an honours student, Golden Key member etc. I'm an Albertan, but other than UCVM and WCVM I also want to apply to a couple of schools in the States (looking at CSU and WSU). Haven't taken the GRE yet, doing that this summer. I know the deal with the Canadian schools, but are the American ones likely to see that I've changed and give me a chance, or am I wasting my time and money on the applications? I'll be done my BSc when I apply and have lots of experience....
 
Yes, you have a shot, but apply smart. Look at the emphasis schools place on various parts of the application. Some schools put more weight into the raw numbers, and others consider your experiences and extracurriculars more. Some schools also put a lot more weight on your last 45 hour GPA than the cumulative. If you have the time (and especially if you aren't admitted the first time and will reapply) it would be beneficial to retake classes (and maybe take some new undergraduate upper level classes as well) to boost your GPA.
 
I agree with applying smart. CSU is a great school but they take few OOS applicants, I don't know if internationals are factored into that.

I would focus on the schools the emphasis experience and last 45 credit GPA like KSU.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depending on how old those low grades are, I wonder if adcomms would be more likely to let them fly (i.e. put more emphasis on the more recent, strong grades)? I don't now if this happens, I would just like to think that it could, given your situation. Maybe others who have experience with this can fill us in?
 
Thanks all!

I'll look into KSU. Any other schools that people can think of that put more emphasis on the more recent work vs. the cumulative GPA?
 
Thanks all!

I'll look into KSU. Any other schools that people can think of that put more emphasis on the more recent work vs. the cumulative GPA?

Oregon State (granted, I have residency) was very forgiving of my mediocre/inconsistent biology grades from the beginning of my undergraduate career.
 
Same old story... made mistakes right out of highschool and have a low cumulative GPA (it's about 2.8). I came back as a mature student, and now I'm an honours student, Golden Key member etc. I'm an Albertan, but other than UCVM and WCVM I also want to apply to a couple of schools in the States (looking at CSU and WSU). Haven't taken the GRE yet, doing that this summer. I know the deal with the Canadian schools, but are the American ones likely to see that I've changed and give me a chance, or am I wasting my time and money on the applications? I'll be done my BSc when I apply and have lots of experience....

I'm an AB resident that applied to American schools with a less than stellar start to undergrad. I would recommend KSU (They accepted me last year, so they are definitely an option!) and MN. MN looks at your last 45 credits, GRE and prereq GPA. So they're less concerned with how you started out and look more at what you have done recently and what your prereq grades are.

A tricky thing with attending schools in the states is the cost. So make sure that it's feasible for you to actually attend before you spend money on the GRE and the applications. The Canadian gov't doesn't give much in loans, so you will need family help or a private loan.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. You might do better at UCVM/WCVM than you think. I didn't think I had a snowball's chance at either and was waitlisted last year. So don't give up hope yet! 🙂
 
Iowa state is science gpa, gre, and last 45. I think they do a good job considering the stuff you are talking about.
 
LSU looks at last 45, pre-reqs, and GRE for the academic portion of your app. I have an academic history similar to yours: terrible early grades, and a decade later, excellent grades! I'm in the incoming class at LSU this year. 🙂 You can check out my post in this year's Successful Applicants thread. There are a couple others like us too (and several in previous years' SA threads).

LSU's applicant selection procedure: http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/Admissions/DVM Admissions Info/Applicant Selection/item26639.html
 
Low GPA is definitely not the end of the road - I am currently a first year at Purdue - accepted with GPA of ~3.04. I'm a returning student although my trend is that I'm simply a B student - a couple As and a couple Cs thrown in there equals out to an average GPA.

I applied 3 times - 2 real strong attempts - I think the difference was in how I made myself stand out compared to other applicants when I applied. My first application I looked just like everyone else - same experiences, same boring personal statement, and an average GPA. When I really went after it I completed a one year Masters in Biology, volunteered to chair a committee for a huge event with the local shelter, kept working part time while in school, and basically just lived my life. I was a person - not just an applicant. That's what they want - they want to know you can come and handle the difficult course load and they want to know that you are different from everyone else and you bring something unique to the table.

One thing to keep in mind is many schools have a minimum GPA and its higher for OOS students. So make sure you check into that. I would recommend Auburn and Kansas for lower GPA. I have a friend that was wait listed at both and accepted to Auburn. Her GPA was on the lower end of the scale.

Be prepared to apply multiple times, and look for feedback from the schools if you don't get in on your first try and then go out into the world and prove to them you're awesome.

It can be done! Good luck!
 
Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone, you are all awesome!
 
Western looks at the whole person and the progress made (like you have demonstrated). Might want to give it a shot.
 
Marsala, I'm Canadian, so to me Western means WCVM. Where is the school you're talking about?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad